• 1 Post By Great Black North
  • 2 Post By trirocket3
  • 2 Post By Roy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rattle since xpipe fitted

Hi all,

I finally got around to having the xpipe fitted. I have to say that thereís far more of a difference than expected. It sounds significantly better to my ear has altered the bikes performance quite noticably. Not so much in terms of outright power but in the delivery. It feels more free flowing and just gets up and goes a lot better. Also, and possibly most notable is how it feels on down shifts/ on the overrun. There is less resistance, almost like a brake was previously binding on the disc and now itís been freed up!

I appreciate a lot of you have already done this mod so Iím likely preaching to the converted but for those on the fence... it is in my opinion money well spent.

Right... now the the issue of rattles!

Itís only noticeable when revving the engine in neutral. Kind of like something is loose. Iíve been over everything I can find under there and found that I was able to get a good few extra turns on the exhaust clamps. But the issue is still there.

Iím sure one of you must have also experienced this and hoped you could point me in the the right direction in terms of what to try.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 03:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
Hi all,

I finally got around to having the xpipe fitted. I have to say that thereís far more of a difference than expected. It sounds significantly better to my ear has altered the bikes performance quite noticably. Not so much in terms of outright power but in the delivery. It feels more free flowing and just gets up and goes a lot better. Also, and possibly most notable is how it feels on down shifts/ on the overrun. There is less resistance, almost like a brake was previously binding on the disc and now itís been freed up!

I appreciate a lot of you have already done this mod so Iím likely preaching to the converted but for those on the fence... it is in my opinion money well spent.

Right... now the the issue of rattles!

Itís only noticeable when revving the engine in neutral. Kind of like something is loose. Iíve been over everything I can find under there and found that I was able to get a good few extra turns on the exhaust clamps. But the issue is still there.

Iím sure one of you must have also experienced this and hoped you could point me in the the right direction in terms of what to try.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.
If you refitted the heat shield, from the original cat, check that the 2 little mount rubber isolators stayed in the right spots, and that the the spacers are in the 3 mount rubbers the right way around,, uhmm, other than those, maybe check the short filler piece in the left side pipe is seated properly and tight? Those are the only things I can think of that would rattle.
Mike J Commo likes this.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Black North View Post
If you refitted the heat shield, from the original cat, check that the 2 little mount rubber isolators stayed in the right spots, and that the the spacers are in the 3 mount rubbers the right way around,, uhmm, other than those, maybe check the short filler piece in the left side pipe is seated properly and tight? Those are the only things I can think of that would rattle.
Thanks for the advice... it does sound like a heat shield kind of rattle come to think of it. Iíll take a look
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:13 PM

Heat shield is no longer needed, bin it, lose the weight, then you can eat a full english to make up for it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by trirocket3 View Post
Heat shield is no longer needed, bin it, lose the weight, then you can eat a full english to make up for it.
You had me at full English!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 07:51 PM
Roy

Garage
...'Full English'...

Now you're talking my kind of language. I have to order British Bangers and Black Pudding on line but here is a pic of my 'full English' up in the Rockies a few weeks back. If the egg looks rather large that's because it's a goose egg from a neighbor. Totally yum..

Just missing the mushrooms, tomatoes and backed beans and bacon. Mind you with and egg that size I'm not sure I couldn't have managed it...

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-10 at 3.48.25 PM.png
Views:	56
Size:	780.1 KB
ID:	31301  
Psychopasta and Mike J Commo like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
So...I have found that in the US it's very difficult to find sausages like they have in the UK. Loved the breakfast sausages and battered sausages when I lived there. Here in the US, breakfast sausage is still spiced...maybe its simply where I live, but I cannot find British style sausage...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page