Slightly loose left exhaust - Triumph Bobber Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Slightly loose left exhaust

I fitted the Motone Xpipe the other day, the one with the brackets. I've torqued everything to the spec in the manuals, but the clamp for the left exhaust into the xpipe (apart from being a pain in the arse to get to and pretty much touching the frame rail) still means that the left silencer moves very slightly. The right side silencer is rock solid and if you move that, the whole bike moves.

Has anyone got a picture of an Xpipe fitted (from underneath) or have a similar problem. Any suggestions?
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:12 PM

On my bike, the left hand mid-section exhaust shield has recently started coming loose and detaching from the downpipe section. I noticed whenever I reattach it and tighten up the retaining clamp that that section of pipe moves a bit. It becomes more solid once the shield's back in place.

Like yourself, I've wondered if it's supposed to be like that or if it's a loose bolt or something somewhere.

I look forward to any information about this.
Lionel likes this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yup, the trim is also very slightly loose on mine. It doesn't squeak riding about (not that I'd hear it), but the movement does wear away the paint very slightly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffer View Post
On my bike, the left hand mid-section exhaust shield has recently started coming loose and detaching from the downpipe section. I noticed whenever I reattach it and tighten up the retaining clamp that that section of pipe moves a bit. It becomes more solid once the shield's back in place.

Like yourself, I've wondered if it's supposed to be like that or if it's a loose bolt or something somewhere.

I look forward to any information about this.
I do maybe have a solution for you though. There are two part numbers (two for each colour) listed for the cover. One for standard exhaust, one for V&H exhaust. I don't know what the difference is, but perhaps one is shorter than the other?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEff View Post
I do maybe have a solution for you though. There are two part numbers (two for each colour) listed for the cover. One for standard exhaust, one for V&H exhaust. I don't know what the difference is, but perhaps one is shorter than the other?

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about this.

I'll get in touch with the local dealer to see if I can this sorted out.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 01:07 PM

GET this sorted out I meant!
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Have a look on the online configurator. There are four different covers listed, in addition to the standard one fitted.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 02:18 PM

I also have had the bolt on the left side exhaust guard come completely out and actually had to reach down while riding and pull the guard off and put it in my pocket. Replaced it with a bolt off my stock exhaust; came loose again after a long ride this weekend. Had to hit it with some Loctite. Seems to be an issue with this bike...
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeEff View Post
I fitted the Motone Xpipe the other day, the one with the brackets. I've torqued everything to the spec in the manuals, but the clamp for the left exhaust into the xpipe (apart from being a pain in the arse to get to and pretty much touching the frame rail) still means that the left silencer moves very slightly. The right side silencer is rock solid and if you move that, the whole bike moves.

Has anyone got a picture of an Xpipe fitted (from underneath) or have a similar problem. Any suggestions?
Make sure you’ve pushed the pipe fully home into the X-pipe....loosen the clamp slightly and tap it in..

I tapped mine in with a soft rubber mallet, and was surprised how far it went..
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I've tried that today and had a look underneath. It is in as far as it will go. I'm going to replace the gasket and see if that improves things.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page