Which Xpipe - Motone or TEC - Triumph Bobber Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Which Xpipe - Motone or TEC

All

I'm in the UK, so looking at the Motone (£140) or TEC (£110) Xpipes. Currently have the US spec Vance & Hines fitted, and looking at the two xpipes mentioned as they're the ones most readily available in the UK (excluding stuff on eBay that may be of dubious quality). TEC have been out of stock for a while and I have no idea of when they'll be restocked, whilst the Motone ones are in stock.

Is there any real difference in quality between the two? Happy to spend the £30 more if its slightly better quality, but if there's not a massive difference, I'll hold out for the TEC.

What are you guys using (and recommending)? I'll also consider others if they're easily available here for a similar price.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 11:45 AM

I went with the Tec. Fitted one to my Bobber, and another one to my mates Thruxton R

Both fitted just fine although I had to bend the tab for the heat shield... had to do it on both bikes but it was easy enough.

One tip, if youíre refitting the heat shield do it BEFORE you fit the X-pipe to the bike.

Sound wise, Iím on stock pipes, and am happy with the sound level, my mates Thruxton has different end cans to stock and is a bit louder than mine, but still not going to upset anyone.
unparalleledltwin likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 06:11 PM

I have installed the TEC also and it seemed to be good quality with beefy welds! Throw a set of BC dragpipes on , perform the 12 minute auto remap and it's a whole new bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 12:03 AM

Garage
I went with the Motone which fitted perfectly. Reason I chose the Motone was they weld 2 half pipes so in theory the flow should be slightly improved. Also I've bought many items from Motone all of which have been great quality. FYI I believe TEC now have stock again should you go that way.
Performance wise I doubt there is much overall difference between the 2. The important thing is that they both have all the fixing points rather than free floating just from the pipes which can lead to many problems.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 12:33 AM

I agree with the Freddy about mounting points. There wonít be much different in brands, but go with one that uses stock mounting points. The free floating design is not something I would want to use. Being involved in the installation of my x pipe and exhaust, the mounts seem like a necessary component to keep all components from shifting around.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
I have the TEC. Quality made, factory location mounting. I doubt there is any actual performance difference between any of them.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 08:58 AM

Garage
In Thailand a common brand used is Max Flow. No mounting points, just float off the pipes. Cause of many a cracked manifold due to excessive vibration. Cost about £40. You get what you pay for!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll just have to wait for the TEC ones to come in to stock then. I keep missing them!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 01:29 AM

Garage
Should have taken a photo of my TEC de-cat because I'm really displeased with the quality of work that went into it. Some people say beefy welds; with mine there's almost near burn through, and on the inside there were knobs of metal that had to be drimmeled down. All in all, I just felt the entire quality was...rough, to say the least. I plan on purchasing a Motone later on, comparing the quality, and coating it to match a planned overhaul for the headers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blackmotone.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	29651  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 05:34 PM
Ram

I have installed the MOTONE X-Pipe since a few weeks.

It is good quality and fitted perfect on the mounting points of the bike!

So I can recommend it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181107_131624.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	29661  

Loud pipes saves lives

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page