Bobber Black owner looking at exhaust options with a much deeper tone, ideas? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Bobber Black owner looking at exhaust options with a much deeper tone, ideas?

Hi guys,

I've spent a good hour or so browsing through this forum, and from what I've read, the British Customs range of slip ons seem to be the best on the market for my needs, significantly changing the exhaust note, and they're reasonably affordable (Straight Pipes & Turn Outs). I'm not a massive fan of the stock slash cuts with the heat shield, and I dislike branding/logos on silencers, so want something sleek, plain and simple, yet badass and old school.

I'm in the UK, and looking at purchasing these from Square Deals Ltd - https://www.squaredeals-ltd.co.uk/br...ck-45074-p.asp

My questions:

1) The 3rd & 4th images for that exhaust listing show a bolt on the frame, I understand it'll be a mount of sorts, but I thought they just fit straight into the cat/X Pipe?

2) How easy are they to fit, what do I need to remove to fit them?
3) Those with the BC Straight Pipes or Turn Outs, honestly, how obnoxious are they compared to a Harley, with and without a decat?
4) What other options are there, now 2018's coming to a close?

Thanks in advance!

Matt
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 01:03 AM

Garage
I think the Tridents look decent. Maybe worth a look before you commit.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

@didakpc has a pair of almost brand new Tridents for sale.

https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/f...ust-black.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 11:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStallion View Post
My questions:

1) The 3rd & 4th images for that exhaust listing show a bolt on the frame, I understand it'll be a mount of sorts, but I thought they just fit straight into the cat/X Pipe?

2) How easy are they to fit, what do I need to remove to fit them?
3) Those with the BC Straight Pipes or Turn Outs, honestly, how obnoxious are they compared to a Harley, with and without a decat?
4) What other options are there, now 2018's coming to a close?

Thanks in advance!

Matt
I haven't changed my stock exhaust yet but over the last year I've been very close to pulling the trigger, and out of all the pipes I've seen the BC drag turn outs are the ones I've been most interested in. Because of this this I must have watched and read everything that's available online. Plus I've been fortunate enough to see and hear a bike at the dealer's that had BC drags fitted. OK it wasn't a Bobber it was just a standard Bonneville but there can't be that much difference?

In answer to your questions:

1. The BC pipes bolt on in exactly the same way but unlike the OEM pipes they don't have a mounting point for the rubber side stand stop. With the BC pipes this stop goes on the frame not the pipe and that's what you see in the pictures.

2. By all accounts they're super easy to fit.

3. With the CAT in place they're not that much louder, however if you go for an X-pipe too then they will be much louder.

4. For branded pipes you've got:
1. V&H
2. Zard
3. Remus
4. Gasser

For unbranded, you've got.
1. BC drag, BC turn outs, and BC sleeper
2. Westlake turn outs
3. Trident

For all these pipes there are pros and cons but I don't think there's a bad choice amongst them, it all comes down what suites your style best.
eisen77 and unparalleledltwin like this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 12:40 PM

I spoke to some guys that work at BC ant they said the the straight pipes and the slash cut that they make are recommended with out an x pipe. The sleeper pros also from British Customs were created to be used with an x pipe.
Personally I think the slash cuts look tough as ****!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 02:27 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrobot88 View Post
I spoke to some guys that work at BC ant they said the the straight pipes and the slash cut that they make are recommended with out an x pipe.
Is this right?

From everything I've read everyone else recommends a slip-on with some sort of a baffle when used in conjunction with an x-pipe, to at least take the noise down a bit and presumably to provide some back pressure. I know a lot of people on here really like the Vance and Hines when used with an x-pipe so I would think from the British Custom range if you want to go without a CAT the Sleeper Pros would be the better option.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 12:44 AM

Slash cut BC’s are def louder even if you keep the stock cats. Not obnoxious though if you are conservative with the throttle. Open it up and you get a deep crackle, and the popping is way more noticeable on decel. Love mine. Had a hard time with one of the bolts under the bike, strange angle for a regular wrench. Not bad though over all.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 01:09 AM

Garage
The BCs are pretty much a straight pipe, so without the cat they're super loud. I was sold on the Vance & Hines with the x-pipe until I heard the Gassers exhaust. The Gassers/x-pipe combo just had the sound for me. I love the V&H too, but the Gassers was quite a bit less expensive, so I went that route.

This is mine: (click on the "watch this video on youtube" link if it doesn't play automatically for you)
unparalleledltwin and Bobber7 like this.

Each one matters.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 01:17 AM

How is the fit for the gasser pipes? I heard that they are not a seamless looking fit? Is that true?
unparalleledltwin likes this.

Last edited by kidrobot88; 11-14-2018 at 01:20 AM. Reason: wrong
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 01:19 AM

"From everything I've read everyone else recommends a slip-on with some sort of a baffle when used in conjunction with an x-pipe, to at least take the noise down a bit and presumably to provide some back pressure. I know a lot of people on here really like the Vance and Hines when used with an x-pipe so I would think from the British Custom range if you want to go without a CAT the Sleeper Pros would be the better option."

Yes you're right, that's what I said. The sleeper pros with the baffle are the ones the BC recommend with an x pipe.

Last edited by kidrobot88; 11-14-2018 at 01:21 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page