8Likes
  • 5 Post By Enoch
  • 1 Post By Big Bear
  • 1 Post By MX429
  • 1 Post By Freddy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Aftermarket Pipes vs Cat Delete?

I'm looking for a more aggressive rumble to my BB, but a full on CAT delete and aftermarket pipes might be too much. I've had a loud bike before and I'm trying to avoid fatiguing my ears on extended rides. Can anyone run down the pros and cons of doing one or the other but not both? This includes exhaust notes, performance gains (if any), cost, labor, and anything else. Thanks!
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 10:00 AM

Just pick your pipe first, Vance & Hines is deeper not much louder. If that's not loud enough then do cat delete. Performance gain is about 3% but will feel like more. Do it for the sound.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 10:51 AM

Iím going to go with the cat delete and stock pipes and see how it goes...

My reasoning is itís cheaper, you save a bit of weight, you reduce heat and get a small power increase, and finally it shouldnít be to noisy, but should be louder than with the cat...

If Iím not happy after that, Iíll look at some different silencers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 03:15 PM

Garage
I went for the V&H exhausts and have to say I love the sound. A really nice rumble but not at all invasive and still sounds refined.

Having said that I listen to music whilst I ride and whilst I can of course still hear my bike, I could at the same time afford for it to be a little louder without it being an issue. I have for that reason been considering the x pipe
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 03:29 PM

I love the sound of my Cat delete (Motone) and have no reason to go any further.
Mike J Commo likes this.

So far behind , I think I'm in first place.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 04:38 PM

I love the V&H with the cat delete. I am not sure on the euro versions but the American V&H is a straight through design with a very large core. That makes a very deep exhaust note that is not piercing loud.

I can crank up and roll away without making obnoxious sound and operate without drawing much attention. At the same time, I can kick up the rpms and it comes alive with sound. It is like having the best of both.
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 12:52 AM

Garage
With all of the different x-pipe/exhaust combinations out there, youtube is definitely your friend. I was able to watch videos with just about every combo out there so I could decide what sounded best to my ear, and that's what I went with.

Each one matters.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 01:41 AM

Garage
I have the EU V&H fitted and a Motone X-Pioe in the mail. The pipes alone sound a little better than stock, slightly deeper exhaust note but not much louder if at all. I'm hoping the addition of the X pipe will deepen the not further and increase the volume without being to loud and fatiguing on longer rides.
I think X-pile first would have been the better way to go just to see what sound I got from the stock pipes which look fine.

The Motone X-pipe seems to have a slightly different design to some of the others out there. It's slightly more expensive than the TEC and considerably cheaper than the Free Spirits. I like Motone stuff and every previous purchase has been of good quality. Interested on others views regarding the Motone X-Pipe and whether it is of similar quality to the Free Spirits or better. Free Spirits do seem to be quite expensive for all their Bobber items.
Niiick likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-31-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

The x-pipe approach makes a lot of sense for me and seems like a good bang for the buck. Thanks for your collective experiences, everyone. Super helpful!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niiick View Post
The x-pipe approach makes a lot of sense for me and seems like a good bang for the buck. Thanks for your collective experiences, everyone. Super helpful!
I purchased the Trident pipes. I first kept the baffles in for a few days to see the difference then stock, definitely louder and deeper. I then removed them, and oh boy did they become louder! I had a Harley 883 with slip on V&H and I couldn't ride more then 15-20 before needing ear plugs. These are not like that, but still loud. I get lots of compliments on the sound of these pipes.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page