14 inches!! - Triumph Bobber Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Guzzilazz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
14 inches!!

Ok that made you look....

I have about 14 inches, almost the whole length of the left hand pipe covered in melted black plastic bag. First windy day in ages and a month's worth of crud is blowing around.

Anyone have any pointers as to best way to remove, one of the engineers at work assured me that letting the zorst warm up nicely then attacking it with a petrol soaked rag would do the trick, however I'm a little dubious as to doing that, possibility of flames come to mind.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethariel View Post

I have about 14 inches, almost the whole length of the left hand pipe covered in melted black plastic bag. First windy day in ages and a month's worth of crud is blowing around.

Anyone have any pointers as to best way to remove, one of the engineers at work assured me that letting the zorst warm up nicely then attacking it with a petrol soaked rag would do the trick, however I'm a little dubious as to doing that, possibility of flames come to mind.

WOW! I thought California had a lot of litter. How does that happen? In all my years of riding I have never, never had a plastic bag blow into my bike/exhaust.

EDIT Sorry for this. I have read that it will burn off then use a scotch pad to polish. I don't know if you have black pipes or not. This method will only work on stainless, of course.

2018 Bobber in Morello Red

Last edited by Ribkick; 07-20-2018 at 09:48 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 12:12 AM
tug

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethariel View Post

Sorry to hear this, but did happen to me and after trying many different ways, with some success, but not good enough i used wet and dry until all was all off(but looked polished) and then rebrushed the S/S with a heavier grade of wet and dry.
hope you find a better way, my way did work but as a last resort.

Common Sense is a flower
that does not grow in every ones garden.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 02:55 AM

I would try Acetone (on a cold exhaust!) its probably a better solvent than petrol. You can buy a litre on Amazon for £12
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 05:49 AM

Garage
I don't think thinners helps, because the thinners will most likely be plastic specific, I would try hot air gun and a "soft" scraper - a cooking based plastic?
Forjox likes this.

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cheers folks, gonna get a spatula cut to curve at work, and i'll give the hit air gun method a shot. Wet,Dry would work but the brushed finish would indeed turn shiny then i'd have to do the whole system :P

0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 03:45 PM

I have read that Easy Off Oven Cleaner works getting stuff off of motorcycle pipes. I've never tried it. Goo Gone makes an oven/grill cleaner that is effective on the grill. It works great on my grill. Again, I have never tried it on the bike.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Ethariel....how is the cleaning going ? Did you manage to get the residue off??
What a mess those plastic bags make. Sorry to hear one messed up your pipe.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Too busy riding it this weekend, still in the world of heatwave with no end in sight, next week is 30 to 33 degrees so I'll be hiding indoors for that as much as i can, 20m walk to garage and back and i'm red so too hot.

Had a bit of a google and a warm zorst and oven cleaner is supposed to work fine so i'll be trying that in the underground car park at work :P

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page