Fitting New Trident Exhausts - Triumph Bobber Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Fitting New Trident Exhausts

Hi, I use these threads all the time so I thought I contribute for once as there is actually more than just one bolt and an exhaust clamp holding the end can on like my previous bikes. Recently acquired some Trident exhausts for my Bobber Black and managed to grab a few pics of fitting them that someone else may find handy. (Shout out to Peter Sorrel from Trident exhausts who's shown amazing customer service as well)

Tools:
10mm socket and spanner. Ideally a deep socket with an extension arm, some of the nuts are awkward to get to. (I had to do an emergency tool run half way through the install).
12mm socket/spanner. This is for the exhaust hanger so quite easy to get to.
Alan Key (not sure what size). For the exhaust shroud.
Optional Paddock stand. This is to lift the right-hand side. It's possible to do it without but it will be less comfortable. Even better if you have a bike lift.

Left Hand Side Steps:
I started on the left-hand side as its actually easier because you only need to remove the cat forward part of the exhaust. The shroud between the downpipes and the end can actually disconnects, un like the right-hand side.

Step 1. Remove the shroud. This just requires one hex key screw on a compression clamp. Warning when pulling this on and off you want to be somewhat accurate as it will scratch the exhaust because its very tight so you don’t want to keep repeating this more than you have to.

Step 2. Remove the exhaust gasket clamp. This is a 10mm nut that’s buried quite deep behind the frame. It’s worth having a small spanner or if you can get one in the tiny space, a deep socket to try and get at this.

Step 3. Unbolt the exhaust hanger and you should now be good to remove the exhaust.

Step 4. On the old exhaust you’ll see a gasket with a metal cover, note these are actually two separate pieces, the fiber gasket and the metal cover. These need to be removed and placed on the new exhaust. This can be a bit tough but once you get it moving it will come off. I actually reattached the clamp to give me a bit more purchase to knock it off with. You'll need to be careful though as it's a fiber gasket so could be damaged in the removal.

Step 5. Next is the fun part. I located the exhaust and lightly tightened the hanger bolt to stop the exhaust moving around. Then started the games of trying to relocate the exhaust gasket,
I actually believe the design is quite good, there is a simple fibre gasket that is kept tight to the cat by the metal C shape clamp that covers half of the metal gasket cover on the exhaust and half of the lip of the cat. The issue is that the tolerances are quite small, this means that when tightening the clamp, it randomly decides to cover one but not the other, which wouldn’t create a tight seal as you need it to evenly so it pulls the two sides together. The trick to get this to locate properly when lying under your motorcycle on the floor and with the light slowly fading around you and the rain threating to fall, is to swear at it.

Step 6. Once located the rest is quite straight forward reverse of the install.

Right Hand Side Steps:
I won’t repeat all the above steps as the install is mostly the same, except the exhaust shroud that hides the fact that the exhausts aren’t really straight through, doesn't disconnect in the middle, meaning you have to remove the entire system. I can't tell on the right hand side where the shroud turns into the exhaust down pipe or whether it's a shroud the whole way up.

Step 1. Remove the exhaust header bolts. This is quite easy as there are just two bolts and no gaskets that I could see. The only interesting part is the star style cover that comes off in one piece but is actually two parts. It only fits together in one way so not too much to go wrong but I imagine if you removed both sides at the same time and got them mixed up, you may get a flash back to those Christmas puzzle toys.

Step 2. The header pipe into the cat actually uses a different clamp to the cat back pipe. I don’t know why this is but it is a lot easier to work with.

Step 3. Once the header pipes clamps are removed and the pipe is loose, you can remove the shroud clamp from the exhaust. After that it’s just a repeat of the above.

In total I would say this job takes around an hour. I’m sure someone could do both sides in under 30 mins but I would make sure you have at least two hours to cover issues or emergency tool runs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.Tools Required.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	25557   Click image for larger version

Name:	2. Left side exhaust shroud.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	25559   Click image for larger version

Name:	4. Left Side Exhaust Gasket.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	25561   Click image for larger version

Name:	5. Exhaust Gasket.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	25563   Click image for larger version

Name:	5. IMG_1558.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	271.8 KB
ID:	25565  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6. Cat Connector.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	25567   Click image for larger version

Name:	7. Head bolt cover.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	324.3 KB
ID:	25569   Click image for larger version

Name:	10. Right side header bolts 12mm.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	25571   Click image for larger version

Name:	11. Header pipes into cat.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	25573   Click image for larger version

Name:	13. Right side shroud.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	25575  

Last edited by Crook; 06-17-2018 at 06:51 PM.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Excellent step by step guide.
Iím sure itíll help a lot of members here on the forum.
Thanks for taking the time and sharing this.
Crook likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 11:03 PM

Well done!
perrymoa likes this.

So far behind , I think I'm in first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 11:18 AM

Thanks for this! Will be following. We need to sticky these types of posts
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

I will move & stick it later in the TECH section.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 06:30 PM

Well done!

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 07:38 PM

Just ordered a set today with the group discount. Thanks for the install guide, I’m sure I will reference it while putting them on.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 03:08 AM

Excellent write up - and thanks for the kind words about me I would note that the right hand pipe seems to be an oddity - some people, like your experience, need to remove the cover completely and thus loosen the header bolts whilst others (and you can see this in action on youtube) seem to just be able to roll the pipe down and outwards with the cover unclamped but essentially in place which means its a much easier job. I have no idea if the covers are different materials between one or another or why this is but I'd suggest trying that first and see if you have the room...
Crook likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

NOW moved to the TECH section (exhaust & headers)
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Hi, I think if you had the stainless steel exhausts I'd roll it out the way but the powder coated black ones, I'd be too worried about scratching them so I tool the whole thing off. (Also I didn't seem about the group discount before ordering! ��

Last edited by Crook; 06-20-2018 at 10:56 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page