• 5 Post By Bassbär
  • 1 Post By Bassbär
  • 1 Post By muensterDeath
  • 2 Post By muensterDeath

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Remus Exhausts - some thoughts

Despite what has already been written about the Remus slipons regarding price, looks and sound I decided to get a pair.
And in all fairness I have to admit: The regular version is rather disappointing for 800 Euros. The look is virtually the same and imho there ist no big change in sound compared to the Triumph stock pipes. Overall quality look great though.
I was well aware of these facts but...
turns out there ist a rather simple method of modifying these things. You just have to remove the end caps and open two torx screws underneath, which allows you to completely remove the db-killers
needless to say that this measure produces a fantastic growling sound that dearly reminded me of my last shovel head.
Also needless to say that the mod is pretty obvious (and illegal in Germany of course) because now you can take a clear and unobstructed look into the mufflers and see right through up to the x-pipe
Simple solution: get yourself a pair of modified (shortened) db-killers or shorten them yourself by sawing off the inside of the pipe.
I included a picture of the original sized ones. They are about 13,5cm in lenght. The modified ones are about 4cm, which makes a **** of a difference soundwise. I think it´s a great mod and fully reversible - which for me a as a loyal German citizen ist the most important thing. People who had to deal with German motor vehicle authorities will know what I´m talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Remus_1920.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	20873   Click image for larger version

Name:	db-Killers Remus Original_1920.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	280.7 KB
ID:	20881  

Doesn´t matter what you ride... just ride!
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

I noticed those from a post you made yesterday (or day before).
Nice - in depth - review and I think it’s great to have the stock look with an aftermarket sound.
Remus make high quality products. How is the overall fit & finish ?
Good idea playing around with the dB killers. It’s amazing a small difference can make such a big difference in sound and resonance.

Thanks for sharing. Really useful in helping other members choose from the various slip ons...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
I noticed those from a post you made yesterday (or day before).
Nice - in depth - review and I think it’s great to have the stock look with an aftermarket sound.
Remus make high quality products. How is the overall fit & finish ?
Good idea playing around with the dB killers. It’s amazing a small difference can make such a big difference in sound and resonance.

Thanks for sharing. Really useful in helping other members choose from the various slip ons...
Quality looks really good. I had zero problems fitting them, just the screws on the x-pipe were a little hard to reach without a ramp and proper tools. But that´s not the exhaust´s fault, I guess...
The overall finish is what you would expect from a brand like Remus, especially at that price. Just looking fine.
The sound with no dB-killers at all is clearly my favourite.However I decided to leave the short ones in for the time being just to make it a little more neighbor friendly and will take them out for special occasions
eisen77 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
"Sounds" like time for multiple sound vids! (please)...

From what I can tell on this forum, you seem to be the 1st that has installed the Remus exhaust; we'd all like to hear it.

Cheers!!!
ysoslo likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
"Sounds" like time for multiple sound vids! (please)...

From what I can tell on this forum, you seem to be the 1st that has installed the Remus exhaust; we'd all like to hear it.

Cheers!!!
Argh... I already regret putting up this little review I was afraid somebody would ask me to do a sound comparison video.
As you can imagine as a musician and especially a bass player I´m not a big fan of cell phone videos to compare exhaust sounds (or even listening to music on a phone - but that´s a different story). But OK, I promise. I´ll put up something within the next few days given I find the time. Maybe I even manage to use a decent microphone that does the deep rumbling at least some justice.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbär View Post
As you can imagine as a musician and especially a bass player I´m not a big fan of cell phone videos to compare exhaust sounds (or even listening to music on a phone - but that´s a different story). But OK, I promise. I´ll put up something within the next few days given I find the time. Maybe I even manage to use a decent microphone that does the deep rumbling at least some justice.
I'm an amateur musician (acoustic guitars). In 50+years of playing I have never heard myself play.

I too would like to hear he difference between with and without the db-killers.

I was lucky enough to be stationed in Germany three different times. Sometimes it was tough getting our cars/bikes through German inspection.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbär View Post
Argh... I already regret putting up this little review I was afraid somebody would ask me to do a sound comparison video.
I hear you, but if listened to with headphones or over actual speakers rather than the Cell phone speaker, it can still portray some of how it sounds. No, it will never do it the full justice.

I have a Shector bass, and gig worthy rig. Trying to sell the rig...to big for home jamming.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
I'm an amateur musician (acoustic guitars). In 50+years of playing I have never heard myself play.

I too would like to hear he difference between with and without the db-killers.

I was lucky enough to be stationed in Germany three different times. Sometimes it was tough getting our cars/bikes through German inspection.
Been to Garmish a few times, and heading to Wiesbaden this summer for a week.

I am a "failed" musician. I have 3 electric guitrars, one bass and one acoustic....I just never gave it the practice needed and am not naturally good at it, so its a perishable skill for me. Trying to sell and downgrade all my equipment.
Leon and gfspencer like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page