Why do we ride motorbikes? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Why do we ride motorbikes?

Copied from THE CATALYST.
Words by Anya Violet.

People find their way to a life on two wheels for many different reasons. For some of us, it is not a choice, but an absolute necessity that is deeply engrained in our DNA. It takes a certain genetic makeup to find joy atop a machine propelling you through space at a high velocity.

It’s easy to wonder why someone would do something that is considered to be so dangerous. Why do people climb mountains, jump out of airplanes or go to the moon? The answer most certainly is: Because we can. The thrill of the ride outweighs the fear of death. What is life without challenge and risk? Within everyone there is a drive to explore and experience, but it is up to the individual to feed that drive or not. Some of us need a little motivation and inspiration.

Think about the first time you saw someone on a motorcycle. Something clicked in your brain. The aerodynamic curves of the bike shaping perfectly around the human body. The power of the machine placed right in the palm of your hand. The motor growling and beckoning to be pushed further and further. The allure of the bike draws you in, and if you allow it, that can introduce you to a new world.

As motorcyclists, the love for the sport resides in our very souls — an almost primal instinct to reach far beyond our comfort zones to the edge. The machine is the catalyst, forever an inspiration to pursue the unreachable and explore the boundaries of what is possible with human and machine.

You can feel the adrenaline build with the twist of the throttle. The day blows off you in the wind as your mind becomes clear and focused. The person that you are away from your bike is gone, and the ride has taken you to a new level. A version of yourself that you did not know was there emerges as you become one with your machine.

A motorcycle can ignite a drive and passion within you that may otherwise lay dormant for an entire lifetime. Giving in, and letting the thrill wash over you, provides an entirely new way to see life. All of the senses are heightened atop this perfectly built machine as you escape the norm. A bond grows with every mile and every turn. Whomever you are in the world can be enhanced with a motorcycle.

Chico
ysoslo and Bobber7 like this.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 03:06 PM

Everyone riding a motorcycle should watch the documentary, "Why We Ride", the videography is amazing.

I ride because I like swimming against the societal current, the feel of acceleration, the visceral sound of it, and the availability of parking spots. I think deep down, I also have a problem with authority.

Current Inventory: 2018 Triumph Bobber Black, 2017 Honda Grom, 2002 GSXR-750 Track Bike (not street legal).

Past Inventory:
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R, farkled out.
2017 Ducati 1299 Panigale S, farkled out (RIP...lady pulled out in front of me, totaled).
2014 BMW F800 ST, of course farkled out.
2004 Honda R6, stock!.
2016 Honda Grom, bar end mirrors, handle bars, flush mounted signals.
2017 BMW R-nine T, stock!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 03:08 PM

I'll just leave this here. Pictures are worth a thousand words, as they say.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7958.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	30101  
JedKnight and Irisheye like this.

Current Inventory: 2018 Triumph Bobber Black, 2017 Honda Grom, 2002 GSXR-750 Track Bike (not street legal).

Past Inventory:
2013 Triumph Speed Triple R, farkled out.
2017 Ducati 1299 Panigale S, farkled out (RIP...lady pulled out in front of me, totaled).
2014 BMW F800 ST, of course farkled out.
2004 Honda R6, stock!.
2016 Honda Grom, bar end mirrors, handle bars, flush mounted signals.
2017 BMW R-nine T, stock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathead View Post
Everyone riding a motorcycle should watch the documentary, "Why We Ride", the videography is amazing.

I ride because I like swimming against the societal current, the feel of acceleration, the visceral sound of it, and the availability of parking spots. I think deep down, I also have a problem with authority.

Sums it up for me...... but I’d like to add, because my **** legs are no good, and it hurts when I walk
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 03:59 PM
Roy

Garage
I ride because it is one of the few occasions in this modern world where I actually feel completely FREE....

A beautiful dry mountain road, no traffic, the wind and smell of the countryside and astride an incredible bike you love and not a soul around. Being one with nature the bike and most of all the peace of just being with oneself and enjoying your own company.

Cheerio,

Roy
Forjox, ysoslo and Irisheye like this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 05:46 PM

Because the **** thing is to heavy to carry!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:21 PM

After a ride, it feels like I went to church and had all my sins forgiven.
ysoslo likes this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:09 PM

Garage
Freedom, peace, a chance to get away from the stresses of life even if it's only for a few hours. It's been over 2 months since I've been able to ride, and I miss it so much... I might just have to retire somewhere warmer, so I can ride year round.
Forjox and Irisheye like this.

Each one matters.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:39 PM

Garage
And for picking up chicks Oh, wait, it’s a Bobber with only a single seat. And, I’m too old and too married to be doing that kind of thing. But having “your senses heightened... your mind clear and focused “ and “enjoying your own company” and “the visceral sound?” Now, that’s why I ride.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
I ride because it is one of the few occasions in this modern world where I actually feel completely FREE....

Cheerio,

Roy
Amen to that.

There are other hobbies that made me feel like that. Sailing is one that comes to mind. Driving a sporty car . . . with no place in particular to go . . . also gives me a feeling of freedom but not on the same scale as riding. I suspect that flying would evoke some of the same feelings but I never learned how to fly. (But I did spend a lot of time in helicopters in the Army.)

Lord help me when I can no longer ride. I don't know what I'll do.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page