How to winterize your bike! - Triumph Bobber Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

How to winterize your bike!

This article is very relevant for those of us who must forgo riding during the winter months.

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/ten-...Winterize+Bike

Chico
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 09:48 AM

I winterize mine by wearing more layers🤪. I’ve never had to do it, because of being able to ride year round. If it snows or ices around this part of GA. it only slows things down for a couple of weeks max. Then, back on the road I go.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 01:24 PM

I ride year round and I keep it in a heated garage/man cave. Most of those things do not apply for me. However I do add Sta-Bil Fuel Stabilizer and I keep my bike on a trickle charger.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

rollalong and gfspencer, I don't think this article applies to you. You don't live in a real cold climate. Easy for to to be so "macho".
I've ridden in 10 F wearing electric clothing but I wouldn't do it on the Bobber, there is no wind protection and I doubt if the charging system could support the gear. When the white stuff starts coming down and the roads get covered with salt is when I stop riding.

Chico
CaptainFrench likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
rollalong and gfspencer, I don't think this article applies to you. You don't live in a real cold climate. Easy for to to be so "macho".
I've ridden in 10 F wearing electric clothing but I wouldn't do it on the Bobber, there is no wind protection and I doubt if the charging system could support the gear. When the white stuff starts coming down and the roads get covered with salt is when I stop riding.

Chico
Same here, Chico.

New Hampshire isn't the most fun to ride in during the winter, i've done it a few times, but like you I won't risk my baby (the bobber) in the snow. I already put mine away in a temp/humidity controlled environment, and can't wait for spring. Still have my Kawasaki Z800 out, and i'm waiting as long as I can before I stop riding and put that away, too.

-Cap
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post

Chico
I rode at 20ļ F on a Ducati Paul Smart. I thought I was going to freeze to death. But you are right. We don't get really cold weather here. (Thank goodness. )

By the way, I have ridden in the snow. I was crossing the Alps in May.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 10:48 PM

LOL Chico, don’t get mad. Just kidding, I know you’re not mad. Believe it or not, even here in GA I’ve rode in 30’s. One year it rained ice and shut down Atlanta. Cars stranded all over our interstates. People didn’t get home for a couple of days. I rode home on my Yamaha Roadliner Black. What normally took me 15minutes to get home took me 5 hours and that is not exaggerating. Three police stopped me and asked where I was heading. After telling them, they told me I wasn’t going to make it. Made liars out of them. And my bike only came out from under me 5 times. Big Bear rode home in it too. Ask him what it was like. He and I have ridden in freezing weather. Probably still will.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 01:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollalong View Post
LOL Chico, donít get mad. Just kidding, I know youíre not mad. Believe it or not, even here in GA Iíve rode in 30ís. One year it rained ice and shut down Atlanta. Cars stranded all over our interstates. People didnít get home for a couple of days. I rode home on my Yamaha Roadliner Black. What normally took me 15minutes to get home took me 5 hours and that is not exaggerating. Three police stopped me and asked where I was heading. After telling them, they told me I wasnít going to make it. Made liars out of them. And my bike only came out from under me 5 times. Big Bear rode home in it too. Ask him what it was like. He and I have ridden in freezing weather. Probably still will.
I travel to FL every year in Feb, by car. I know it can get "cool" in GA and icy. The big difference is that it doesn't last long.
PS, I 'm not put out by what you posted, all good.

Chico
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:04 AM

Good deal. I love a spirit of fun. I’m actually jealous of you guys that get snow every year. I grew up in Washington DC. and parents are from Pennsylvania. I miss the snow. I was born in Rome, NY. Lived there as a wee one, so I understand about the necessity to put the scoot away.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 11:26 AM

Garage
Big advantage of living in Thailand. 33 degrees today with clear blue sky. Biggest problem here is resisting the urge not to wear protective gear. I have to admit to local riding in t-shirt. The Thais who feel the cold buy the letters here. Lightweight Mesh with pads is all I can cope with and still melt at the lights.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page