Heads-up display mod kit for helmets - Triumph Bobber Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By colin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Heads-up display mod kit for helmets

I'm an electrical engineering grad, and I'm a relatively new rider (been riding about three years). In my spare time, I put together a heads-up display for my own personal use. By chance, I took the helmet with me to a motorcycle show last month, and a few people I met said I ought to think about turning it into a mod kit and selling it.

I only have one, so I'm not actually selling it, but I thought I'd share it with the community to get some thoughts on it.

The eyepiece displays text in your field-of-view, so you can always keep your eyes on the road. It’ll display your speed, or basic GPS navigation, or both. The HUD pairs via Bluetooth to a smartphone. It looks like this from the inside of the helmet:

All of the pieces are adjustable and they fit inside any helmet, so you can keep wearing the helmet that you know and like.

It works during the day, at night, and in the rain. All weather, all conditions.

As you can see, there is no frontal aerodynamic impact, because all of the pieces are tucked inside the helmet:

As far as safety is concerned, the eyepiece is made out of a ballistics-grade composite. I wouldn’t depend on it to stop an actual bullet, but it’ll definitely hold up in even the most serious impacts.

The pieces are stuck inside the helmet with an incredibly strong adhesive. Once placed, the pieces are **** near impossible to remove. You can try to yank them out, hard, and they won't budge.

The mod doesn’t permanently alter the helmet (i.e. no holes get drilled or anything like that). Removing the adhesive would take some elbow grease, but it’s possible, so it wouldn’t be like you’d permanently maim your helmet with this mod.

Altogether, it costs $135 to put the materials for the kit together.

So, what do you guys think? Do you see yourself buying one of these, if it were available?
SineApps likes this.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 05:39 PM

Thanks for posting this, and welcome to the forum!
I must say that is a very interesting invention you've got there, and I wish you all the best for, if and when you actually go into production with it. I'm sure you'll do very well.

I'm more old-school though, and prefer to have as little as possible in or on my helmet. But that's just me. ;-)

Cheers!
mike

Through the mud & the blood, to the green fields beyond...

British Army Veteran 1975-1984
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

I was very close to buying this HID unit:

https://eu.ridenuviz.com/products/nuviz-head-up-display

But after a lot of research and reading, decided it would be best to go for the next generation models once they are more compact and work out some issues.

I am usually the first in line with modern tech and love the discrete comms systems in my helmets - but these HUDs are still too early to adopt, even for an “early” adopter like me.

I assisted Cardo in the development phase of many of their systems; especially the G4/G9 models and their Schuberth intigration kits- and I can tell you that you’re definitely on to something with HUD. I believe it will become standard/optional kit in the (not too) distant future.

Hats off for developing your kit & I look forward to seeing it develop and advance.

Last edited by eisen77; 02-12-2018 at 06:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2018, 06:07 AM

Garage
Good luck with it. It will happen and somebody needs to get it going further.
In Ski goggles already also:

The world?s first HUD goggles: Recon-Zeal Transcend | SBC Skier

Maybe worth a look.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 07:27 PM

Garage
Keeping it all inside the lid is a nice idea, one would probably get used to the projector in your peripheral vision on the left side.

It's a nice concept and I do much prefer what you have done keeping it all inside, compared with some of the external fixed units already out there, while I'm not ready to jump in on the HUD band-waggon as yet, I do wish you all the best of luck in your project.

|I'd definatley also think about dropping a post on Visordown, I think they would be quite receptive to a more hidden HUD system.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 01:27 PM

I’d definitely buy one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Great job Colin! I suspect the market is going to be more in sports bikes so you don't have to take your eyes off the road so much. Myself, on the Bobber, I like to bimble along and even when going fast I don't need immediate feedback on speed, I pretty much know what speed I'm doing. So, I wouldn't be a customer, most likely, but I'm sure there's a market for you.

One thing to consider is that eyepiece is, well, very close to the eye. You should think about what happens in a crash. One you start selling things, especially in the USA, liability insurance becomes important.

- Pasta

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page