2Likes
  • 1 Post By Ribkick
  • 1 Post By jerrman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Lightbulb Books (Or Article) Reviews

I thought it might be a nice idea to start a thread for members to share comments on any book (or article for that matter) they have read and that they feel may be of interest to our membership. After all if for whatever reason I'm unable to ride I often find I pick up a bike magazine or book to get my motorcycling 'fix' for that day.

Of course and for the most part this would be aimed at books that have a motorcycling theme but also feel comfortable to share a review of any book that you feel may be of interest to members.

My first book review to follow shortly.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Motorcycling An Illustrated Social History by Roger Fogg

Title: Motorcycling An Illustrated Social History
Author: Roger Fogg
ISBN: 978-0-85704-197-5

I love history and I love motorcycles, so I suspected that this book would be a good fit for me and I wasn't wrong. I loved this book.

The author has endeavored to look at motorcycling from a social perspective (as the title suggests). It is divided into decades and covers the periods from around 1900 to 1970 and generally looks at the UK and British motorcycles. Mr Fogg has taken an interesting direction with this work. Instead of writing page after page with the occasional photograph interspersed to 'break up the text', he has decided to fill the book with original photographs and comment on each image. I personally found this format both accessible and easy, while being informative and entertaining.

Many of the photographs are of subjects that are known, so the author in many instances was able to add real context to the subject. But even when this wasn't possible he was still able to add comments that were enlightening and clearly reflected his own scholarly knowledge on motorcycles and motorcycling.

My favorite caption was that which reflected on how in the early days of motorcycling, taking a lady 'pillionist' was so frowned upon due to "(the ladies) thighs could be seen beneath their dresses" that it was suggested the rider should carry their marriage license!

This was a fun, informative and easy book to have on hand for a light read and I'm sure I will pick it up time and again. If motorcycle history and the social side of it holds any interest for you, then I would highly recommend this book.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 12.54.17 PM.png
Views:	11
Size:	603.9 KB
ID:	35937   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 12.54.09 PM.png
Views:	9
Size:	600.4 KB
ID:	35939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 12.53.59 PM.png
Views:	10
Size:	660.0 KB
ID:	35941  

Last edited by Roy; 07-21-2019 at 04:02 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:20 PM

Hi Roy, you're such a prolific poster I can't keep up but if you want to, search for the Distinguished Gentleman ride last year by Eisen and I posted a link to a Triumph coffee table book with the history and color plates. It's a good one but I don't have the time to look it up.
Roy likes this.

2018 Bobber in Morello Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:57 PM

Garage
My entry would be “Mcqueen’s Motorcycles: Riding and Racing with the King of Cool.” And if many of you don’t know him (before your time lets just say he was (maybe still is). Mostly noted for his love of Triumphs. Leading roles in the legendary car chase movie Bullitt, The Great Escape (the infamous moto jump scene on what was portrayed as a Nazi BMW but, I believe was in fact, a Triumph), Grand Prix, the incredibly cool Thomas Crown Affair and many more.
Roy likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page