We might have more new riders if bikes weren't all manual - Triumph Bobber Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

We might have more new riders if bikes weren't all manual

What do you think about this premise?

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...%7C%20Combined

Chico
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:14 PM

Garage
Its same kind of thinking that has schools removing analog clocks because kids don't know how to read them, or transportation manufactures moving toward fully autonomous vehicles,,,

It will amount to a cultural loss. One brought about by nothing more than disinterest and laziness. Which, I think, is being instigated by a generation spoiled by an emerging culture geared (no pun intended) toward instant gratification.

ie: "if I can't look up how to do it on Google or YouTube and then do it right away, I can't be bothered"..

My 2 cents

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:30 PM

My BMW K1200B has the ability to shift without a clutch. It's pretty much born from the racing technology. I can either shift with the clutch lever, or up/down without. It's not DCT, but pretty close. I like it and can see it being used on more bikes. But it's not for every bike. I don't think I would like it as much on a smaller bike like the Bobber. But.. I agree with the premise that it could introduce more riders to bikes. I suspect that's the draw for the neo-scooters like the Suzuki Burgmann. I'm not sure that an auto makes motorcycling safer though. That's a bridge too far.

I've spent my fortune on wine, women, and motorcycles. The rest I wasted on everything else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:06 PM

Garage
I saw that article a few days ago and my first reaction was similar to @Great Black North . I agree, it's a "cultural loss." But, as I spend most of the year in Spain, a country with the most two wheeled vehicles per capita in Europe, I thought about how many riders (admittedly the majority are "scooters" although many as powerful as mid-size motorcycles), are probably riding, commuting, etc. without a clutch or shifting at all. Maybe there's something to the idea that if you never learned how to drive with a manual transmission, the idea of two wheels and learning how to use a clutch and shifting becomes one more obstacle to owning a motorcycle. And, let's face it, there's already enough reasons not to do it. Many of us probably grew up with manual transmissions (I've never even had one until recently and believe me, that's a long, long time so, it's not surprising that almost all the current younger generations have no experience with stick shifts. It will be interesting to see if any of the "automatic" transmission bikes do well in the marketplace, whether electric or otherwise. If so, then I'm all in favor of the manufacturers chasing that market and increasing the penetration of motorcycles. Whatever is good to help grow the industry is good for all of us. As far as I'm concerned, the more bikes on the road, the better (from an awareness standpoint, safety, and all around fun).
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:18 AM

For me part of the joy of motorcycles is the engagement with the machine and road. There is a skill in riding well which makes a journey by motorcycle more demanding. Yes - there are DCT transmissions which do a lot of the work for you, which if I was doing a commuter plod every day I might consider. But I ride a motorcycle because I choose to make the effort to ride well, in all weathers.

To be sure, after a long ride I am tired, whereas the same journey by car is just boring. On a motorcycle the journey is a journey, not just sat there watching the world go by with little or no involvement with it. On the local roads I know every dip and hole, every gouge in the surface, where drain covers are on bends, farm driveways where there is often gravel or mud, even where the local horse riders go (which means piles of slippery stuff to avoid).

If more people take up bikes because they think it's easy to ride a motorcycle then my suggestion is that attitude has no place on the seat of a motorcycle worth riding.

Honda CBF 500 for when I am being sensible
Triumph Bobber for all other times
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
What do you think about this premise?

https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...%7C%20Combined

Chico
No it won't help, I hate to say it but I think motorcycling's days are numbered. So enjoy it while it lasts!

In the UK and I'm guessing in the rest of the Western world, outside the cities motorcycling has become very much an old mans hobby. Virtually every biker I know or see on the road is 50plus! Millennials aren't interested, they've got other things to spend their money on and how would they post on social media while riding a bike? We're heading for a world where cars drive themselves and come with speed limiters fitted as standard (2022 in the EU). How will motorcycles fit into to this Health and Safety obsessed future?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator

Judging by BMW & Honda’s new creations, bikes will not become obsolete as much as totally autonomous (when needed) and “un-crashable”. Even kickstands will be a thing of the past with ride assist, gyro sensors, etc.

It’s inevitable that vehicles will HAVE talk to each other to avoid crashes when dumb a** humans text, talk and post online cr*p no one is interested in seeing while behind the wheel.
Last week I watched in amazement as a maxi-scooter rider was riding (well, weaving) on the motorway while texting on his mobile.

Yes, our petrol powered dinosaurs will probably be outlawed at some stage in the very, very distant future. However I strongly believe the passion for 2 wheels will live on long after we have all gone, even if they evolve into silent, battery powered tech-missiles.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 09:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
Judging by BMW & Honda’s new creations, bikes will not become obsolete as much as totally autonomous (when needed) and “un-crashable”. Even kickstands will be a thing of the past with ride assist, gyro sensors, etc.

It’s inevitable that vehicles will HAVE talk to each other to avoid crashes when dumb a** humans text, talk and post online cr*p no one is interested in seeing while behind the wheel.
Last week I watched in amazement as a maxi-scooter rider was riding (well, weaving) on the motorway while texting on his mobile.

Yes, our petrol powered dinosaurs will probably be outlawed at some stage in the very, very distant future. However I strongly believe the passion for 2 wheels will live on long after we have all gone, even if they evolve into silent, battery powered tech-missiles.
I hope you're right and I'm sure they'll be some awesome electric bikes in the very near future. But there's definitely been a cultural shift away from motorcycles and that's not just a problem for Harley Davidson.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
Zero is already there.
Roy likes this.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
Zero is already there.
Not just Zero: here are some pics from the Palma bike show a few weeks ago. Energica bikes are STUNNING and already for sale & being used here.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page