Embarrassing Moments..? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Red face Embarrassing Moments..?

Okay Lads & Lasses,

I'm not too cool to admit to an embarrassing moment, so thought I would share what happened to me the other day.

I was riding down the highway, beautiful morning, little traffic and thinking I was the bees knees. I spotted this State Trooper parked on the other side of the road, no doubt waiting to catch the next unexpected speeder coming his way. About a mile past and out of site of the Trooper I spotted a biker hurtling at speed toward me and to the Trooper, so I gave him the requisite signal warning him that there was a cop ahead.

I wish a big hole had swallowed me up when in a blink of an eye as we passed the bike was indeed a motorcycle cop....

Has this every happened to you?

Or any other embarrassing moments you wish to share?

P.s. I didn't feel too bad as I always wave to bikes even cop bikers...

Cheerio,

Roy

Last edited by Roy; 07-13-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2019, 05:28 PM

I’ve had many embarrassing moments on bikes. Last month I stalled my bike at an intersection with several other riders behind me. Sealed my decision to swap sprockets to improve take offs.
trirocket3 and Roy like this.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:17 PM

Garage
Mine was more of a “glad that wasn’t me” moment.
At a big motorcycle rally at which there are dozens of bikes at each corner, revving, looking cool, etc. Except one of our group stopped at
the light and promptly let his bike fall over. After another friend jumped off to help him lift it back up, he looked around to see who saw this (like everyone!) and off we rode. Good thing he was wearing a full face helmet so no one could see how red his face was.
Roy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 02:15 AM

I don't mind telling an embarrassing story

Immediately after getting my license I bought a Kawasaki Versys 650 MK I, I think you call them KLE650's in the USA. Well, I was a bit unfamiliar with the weight of the bike and of course was a bit nervous as well. The dealership was about 45 minutes from my home so I was riding home using sat nav to get me there. I mistook the turning I needed to take and ended up having to turn around in the entrance to a restaurant. As I turned my head to check if the road was clear I saw a car coming. I wasn't going fast but grabbed a handful of front brake. That was enough to depress the front end a bit, throwing me off balance, and I dropped the bike. Hadn't even owned it 30 minutes and it was already on the ground. Thankfully wasn't a brand new bike so I had prepared myself for the eventuality that I might do this. Thankfully hard plastic panniers and the grip cowls took the scrapes. But I felt a total wally trying to pick my bike up.

Blue was where I was supposed to go, Red was where I ended up.

Did a lot of really good miles on that bike.

Roy likes this.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:37 AM

I was ridding out of a small town in the mountains. An SUV was in front of me doing about 40mph in a 45mph zone . . . . so I passed it on a double yellow line. The SUV turned out to be an unmarked county sheriff vehicle. He lit me up. I pulled over to the side of the road and took off my helmet. I got out my drivers license and my military I.D. When the sheriff walked up to me I handed him my registration, I.D. and license and told him that I was getting in one last ride before being called back on active duty. (I was being called up because of Iraq.) He told me to slow down and have a nice day.

Another time I was ridding in Ireland. I took a wrong turn and the group that I was ridding with got away from me. I turned around in a rural church parking lot and got back on the road . . . . on the right side of the road. (I'm a Yank. What do you expect?) A car was coming right at me. I just stopped and he passed me on the left. I got back in the left lane.

A third time I was ridding in Germany. I knew the road signs because I had lived in Germany for 4 years . . . but I was not leading the group. Someone who didn't know road signs led us the wrong way down a one way street. I motorcycle policeman was going down the one way street in the right direction. He stopped us all . . . and led us out of town.

A forth time I was ridding through the Alps. We were ridding a little fast. Two German motorcycle cops were coming down the mountain but they didn't bother me because I thought they wouldn't be able to turn their bikes around and catch us. They did. German motorcycle cops are good riders.
Psychopasta, paulscr and Roy like this.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
Old 07-15-2019, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Mine was I had pulled over in a subdivision, forget why, put the kick stand down and hopped off the bike....well, the kick stand didn't fully extend and the bike started to fall over. Tried to save it mid fall, but the weight drove me to the ground with it (still have issues w/ thumb from hyper-extending it). As I popped up to lift the bike I heard......"are you okay".....lady driving through saw the hold thing. So embarrassed, and a dent in the tank from the clutch assembly mashing it, super sore right hand/thumb, mashed knee, and a very red face...
Old 07-15-2019, 08:59 AM

Well, I was the guy who forgot to put his sidestand down before getting off the bike at the 2019 UK Bobber rideout.

And after joking that I always forget to fold out my sideplate, I promptly forgot to unfold my sideplate.
Psychopasta and Johnny like this.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
Mine was I had pulled over in a subdivision, forget why, put the kick stand down and hopped off the bike....well, the kick stand didn't fully extend and the bike started to fall over. Tried to save it mid fall, but the weight drove me to the ground with it (still have issues w/ thumb from hyper-extending it). As I popped up to lift the bike I heard......"are you okay".....lady driving through saw the hold thing. So embarrassed, and a dent in the tank from the clutch assembly mashing it, super sore right hand/thumb, mashed knee, and a very red face...
Been there. Done that. I was riding a Ducati Paul Smart. I had to buy a new faring. Several weeks later it fell over on the other side. I had to buy a new faring.

When you have been riding a motorcycle as long as I have stuff happens.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
Old 07-15-2019, 09:15 AM

Garage
At 17years old I accidentally turned the wrong way down a one-way street only to face a police squad stopped at the stop sign facing me! I made a quick u-turn and came up behind the squad. No contact with the officer, but a moment to remember. 😬😬

Riding Free
Old 07-15-2019, 11:48 AM

OK - so the thread title is just embarrassing moments, not necessarily our own.....

Being a vicar I was asked to cover a service at a city centre church. Obviously parking was limited so I went on the bike. When I got to the church right by the vestry door there was a marked parking bay for the clergy conducting services to use, very handy, so I parked the bike there.

I was just getting off when this rather angry and loud church official stormed out of the vestry door and told me to bugger off - you can't park your motorbike there.

So I duly buggered off, found somewhere else to park and was therefore late arriving at the church to start the service.

The look on the bloke's face when he realised that the biker he'd told to bugger off was the vicar coming to conduct their service for them.

Honda CBF 500 for when I am being sensible
Triumph Bobber for all other times