C4 Pro review - Triumph Bobber Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

C4 Pro review

Ordered (as usual) via the excellent FCMOTO.
I was looking for an inconspicuous matt black helmet with comms (for music & calls) to use on my Bobber.
My two main choices were the new SENA MOMENTUM INC or the lastest version of the C4.
As the INC hasn´t been released yet, i decided to give the C4 pro a go.

The C4 Pro is a major update from the C4 basic, which i have been using for over a year now. It feels better put together, has a nicer interior and Schuberth finally moved the microphone from the forehead to the side left side of the mouth.
Schuberth finally agreed to use a top of the line Pinlock 120 anti fog insert - instead of the p*** awful “homemade” one used in previous generations.
Fit: the C4 pro now fits like the C3 pro. This means it fits alot tighter, feels much more snug and will require some break in time.
I usually wear a size S (55/56) and the C4 Pro fits me very well, if a little tight on my forehead. But this gives a little with use and as such it feels comfortable and very secure.

I DID NOT like using it on the Bobber.
As great a helmet as it is, it feels - rightfully so- that its been designed and MADE for faired touring bikes and dual sport bikes.
On the Bobber, i had some howling noises coming in through the top vent despite it being closed and the howling only stopped when the vent was opened or i adjusted my head angle.
I should add that it WAS very windy today with strong gusts.
Also, at speeds of 110kph+, i felt resistance and the helmet picked up alot of noise. The end result was neckache making me cut my ride short and head home.
The viewing angles did not work for me either for my body/head position while riding the Bobber. Its OK while riding, but when stopping at junctions i found myself having to twist my neck much more than usual.
Saying that, i have been spoilt by the amazingly wide visors of the Bullitt, X3000 and 3/4 helmets which are impossible to compete with in that department!

I can throw NO negative comments at the C4 pro when riding my GSA. It works exactly as it should and thrives in a faired bike environment with a more upright seating position. But on the Bobber it simply doesnt work for me and mid ride i found myself wishing i had my AGV X3000 with Flare Audio headphones.
The AGV has felt right from day 1 with no break in period or adjustments necessary. It is such a perfect match for my riding style on the Bobber and aerodynamically it is flawless (vastly outperforms the C4 Pro on the Bobber be it highway or city riding even in very windy weather).
Yes, the C4 is naturally quieter due to the way it seals around the neck and covers your ears (no ear protection necessary). But this is nothing that can´t be accomplished on the X3000 with a good neck warmer and proper ear protection or earbuds.

My conclusion: If AGV made an X3000 with totally integrated, invisible comms & a pinlock insert, that would be my dream helmet for the Bobber...
The C4 Pro is a welcome addition to my GSA/daily ride helmet shelf.

Last edited by eisen77; 02-10-2019 at 12:03 PM.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

I got one for my Goldwing and love it. Hadn't thought of using it on the Bobber mind...Bluetooth on a Bobber doesn't sound quite right

What's the rear license plate mounting thingoid you have there @Eisen? It looks like something off a Diavel. I'm sure you've got a thread on it somewhere, could you give me a pointer please?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post
I got one for my Goldwing and love it. Hadn't thought of using it on the Bobber mind...Bluetooth on a Bobber doesn't sound quite right

What's the rear license plate mounting thingoid you have there @Eisen? It looks like something off a Diavel. I'm sure you've got a thread on it somewhere, could you give me a pointer please?
Hi Pasta.
That’s why I went for Matt black color. To make the helmet be as “invisible” as possible. I also prefer retro inspired helmets on the Bobber.

Here is the THREAD on the plate holder.

Do you still have your ‘wing?
I sold mine a while ago but know that the new generation will magically appear on my doorstep one day (when I start to tour again with my wife).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

I got the 2018 model with the DCT automagic gear change. It really is an exceptional bike, nothing else like it on the market. The gear change is nearly telepathic. The engine is great, the new suspension is fantastic and the overall package behaves like nothing that size has any right to.
eisen77 likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mine was an ‘08 airbag model with full Monty Traxxion setup, speakers (6), RDL seat and a million other useful accessories (but zero chrome, which I despise the look of). Loved the big ‘ol girl to bits and she went to a worthy new home and is being toured on nearly year round now; exactly what she was built for.
My wife and I managed about 60,000KM of touring on the wing before moving and starting a family here in Mallorca.

I can’t wait to try out the new generation 1800! It sounds amazing but just isn’t right for us at this moment in time.
Psychopasta likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 02:39 PM

My wife and I both have the Momentum helmets (not the INC - the now midrange model Momentum) and we like, not love, the helmet. The Bluetooth range is great. The sound quality is okay. And switching between modes is easy but doesn’t always work well. The biggest complaint I have with it is how tight it is. I have the medium. It fit better than the large but it’s still almost suffocating. Anyway, I’m glad the Schubert is out there. We’ll take a look at them next time we’re in the market.
eisen77 likes this.

‘18 Bobber Black, apes, LED signals, Dart Piranha, Corbin solo
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 02:43 PM

Garage
Great write up!

I like the look of the jacket you’re wearing... tell me more?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
Great write up!

I like the look of the jacket you’re wearing... tell me more?
Thanks Mike.
The jacket is a FURYGAN SERPICO
Bought it on a whim in early 2017 and finally took it out for a spin.
It’s a nice jacket and looks good, but feels a tad synthetic. Perhaps I need to wear it a more to give it more of that “used” feel. Overall, I prefer the Merlin jacket.
The SERPICO is quite roomy and the XXL+ sizes will be great for those with a larger build. For reference, I am 6’ 1 with a 44inch chest and wear an XL in that jacket. Comes with a removable liner in red and the back protector has to be bought separately.

Last edited by eisen77; 02-10-2019 at 04:08 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagular View Post
My wife and I both have the Momentum helmets (not the INC - the now midrange model Momentum) and we like, not love, the helmet. The Bluetooth range is great. The sound quality is okay. And switching between modes is easy but doesn’t always work well. The biggest complaint I have with it is how tight it is. I have the medium. It fit better than the large but it’s still almost suffocating. Anyway, I’m glad the Schubert is out there. We’ll take a look at them next time we’re in the market.
I have read mixed reviews about the Sena Momentum. I will wait for them to iron out the QC issues and release the v2 INC helmet here in Europe before i buy one.
But generally I think it’s a great idea and they’re onto a winner IF they can get the formula right.

The C4 pro fits different to the C4.
You should definitely try both before buying.
The Pro is tight, but not claustrophobic whereas the basic C4 has a slightly different fit.
Jagular likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 03:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
Thanks Mike.
The jacket is a FURYGAN SERPICO
Bought it on a whim in early 2017 and finally took it out for a spin.
It’s a nice jacket and looks good, but feels a tad synthetic. Perhaps I need to wear it a more to give it more of that “used” feel. Overall, I prefer the Merlin jacket.
The SERPICO is quite roomy and the XXL+ sizes will be great for those with a larger build. For reference, I am 6’ 1 with a 44inch chest and wear an XL in that jacket. Comes with a removable liner in red and you’ll the back protector had to be bought separately.
Thanks for the info.

Is it the Yoxall Merlin jacket you recommend? Is so how does it perform on a hot day and have you been caught out in the rain wearing it?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page