2nd Bike Choice - Triumph Bobber Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2nd Bike Choice

Gents.

I'm by no means what you would call an experienced rider but have well and truly caught the bike bug at the age of 55.
I absolutely love my BB and it's a keeper for sure. I've thoroughly enjoyed doing some not so adventurous mods ( some by dealership others myself) and as it stands now am extremely happy with what I've ended up with.
I retired early and moved to Thailand, I keep very busy doing hard landscaping work for friends here but need and enjoy leisure time and hobbies to keep the body and brain active.
Much as I like my BB I'm looking to do some longer distance rides with local groups. There will be a support van for luggage so the limited carrying options on the Bobber aren't an issue but despite this I'm not so sure that the Bobber is the best bike for covering longer daily distances. I may be making excuses to justify another purchase but the bottom line is this, I want another bike. I like Triumphs, have a dealership within 200km ( that's close considering I'm in Thailand) and also like the fact that I'm buying British.

So Gents, opinions and suggestions please. From the Triumph range, what do you think would be a good choice of 2nd bike to go with my BB. which combination would cover all the bases?
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 05:46 PM

The new Speed Twin, I am putting a deposit on one.
Already have the Bobber, Thrux R, Bonnie, Rocket 111, BMW RT, BMW 800 GT, a 750 Yamaha FZX (baby v-max) & a 750 suzi DR Big.
I am also interested in the new Niken which I am thinking about getting in March.
You cannot have too many bikes.
gfspencer and Freddy like this.

Last edited by trirocket3; 12-03-2018 at 05:49 PM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Blimey, that's one **** of a garage. Congrats.
Bobber-Bomb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 06:04 PM

Garage
I think as an all-rounder the Tiger 800 takes some beating. If you lived in the Alps with super smooth roads, bends to die for, and fast Autobahns I'd recommended the Street Triple but for Thailand a Tiger would be perfect.
Freddy likes this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 06:11 PM

Garage
The obvious choice if looking to stay with Triumph and looking to rack up the miles in comfort would be the new Tiger with either the 800cc or 1200cc engine.

I carried out a test ride on the 1200cc variant a couple of months back and was hugely impressed. It’s remarkebly comfortable, handles fantastically and although you don’t require luggage options at this moment in time, it has that base covered should it be a requirement in the future. As far as Triumph’s are concerned... it is the jack of all trades without a doubt!
Freddy likes this.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 06:20 PM

If not for the long distance aspect, I’d say the natural complement to the Bobber would be a cafe racer. I actually like the air cooled 900 Thruxtons better then the new 1200s. I’d use the bobber for the long(ish) rides and get 2015 or so Thruxton for when I wanted to be sporty (but still retro). (I should say, I did 900 miles on my Guzzi 750 Racer last summer, so I am obviously willing to compromise on comfort a bit!)
Freddy likes this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 08:14 PM

Garage
I think it depends on your riding style, your physical measurements and aesthetic sensibilities. I have an Indian Scout for multi-day rides, bought a couple of years before the Bobber and if I was looking for a long distance ride now and wanted to stay close to the Bobber in feel, I’d consider a Speedmaster.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:01 PM

I would get a BMW R1200 GS. There is no better long distance tourer. If you must have the Triumph equivalent get the Tiger 1200.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

I'd go for Triumph Tiger too, and I'd go for the 800 as it is lighter and nimbler and really has plenty of power. The 1200 is more powerful but heavier and bigger. my 2cents anyway.

Now if you go off-brand, the KTM Duke 790 would call to me...

I'm currently down to just two bikes, the Bobber and a 2018 Goldwing. The Goldwing is absolutely fantastic, there's no bike like it. Same's true of the Bobber of course.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
I would get a BMW R1200 GS. There is no better long distance tourer. If you must have the Triumph equivalent get the Tiger 1200.
I like the BMWs but a ridiculous price in Thailand so not on the cards unfortunately.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page