California? Arizona? New Mexico? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

California? Arizona? New Mexico?

Gentlemen,

I am starting to think seriously about retirement. I live in Seattle, and just spent Thanksgiving in Palm Springs, CA. I need more sun! More blue sky. More days to ride the Bobber.

I'm thinking about the Southwest of the USA. All the usual suspects...CA, AZ, NM, NV etc. The perfect location would be 75-80 degrees F all year round. Can handle too hot way better than too cold. I have done too cold all my life

Any thoughts on the perfect retirement spot in SW USA?

- Pasta
Roy and ArmchairHero like this.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 03:22 PM
Roy

Garage
Hi Pasta,

I have lived in most of those places and when I first moved to the US started off just south of Seattle.

For me the best place for weather and riding was in Northern New Mexico. I personally wouldn't live in California, however the north eastern part of that state is really beautiful.

Northern Arizona is great but it's getting really expensive and the towns/cities are really spread out, so riding can mean long/hot days of nothing. If you like Arizona (and I do) then Prescott is really hard to beat.

In contrast I found Northern New Mexico can be really economical in many areas, wonderful weather and as many little towns and mountain roads as you could hope for on a motorcycle. Plus the Latino history and culture is really wonderful.

I'm up in the Colorado mountains now, another stunning place but of course long winters at our altitude.

I'm sure there will be plenty of more knowledgable advice than I can offer but whatever you decide, keep in touch and let us know how you get on.

Cheerio and good luck,

Roy

P.s. As an afterthought and just for fun, here are some pictures of my bike in Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 1.26.27 PM.png
Views:	45
Size:	786.0 KB
ID:	29479   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-26 at 1.27.00 PM.png
Views:	43
Size:	903.4 KB
ID:	29481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-11-21 at 4.20.36 PM.png
Views:	43
Size:	881.2 KB
ID:	29483  
eisen77, ysoslo and Freddy like this.

Last edited by Roy; 11-26-2018 at 03:27 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 04:46 PM

Garage
If you are looking for one of the best climates to live in look no further than southern California... if you are looking for a place that seems affordable to retire in look far past southern California.

Calmer than you are...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Heimbach View Post
If you are looking for one of the best climates to live in look no further than southern California... if you are looking for a place that seems affordable to retire in look far past southern California.
This ^^^^. Palm Springs is great during the winter and spring.... but summertime can get HOT, to the point where riding would be a challenge.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 05:33 PM

California is expensive!

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
California is expensive! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/forum/images/TriumphBobberForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png[/IMG]
Yeh don’t move her if your gonna be on a tight budget. California is not cheap when it comes of cost of housing. Maybe in the desert or something it’s more affordable but not in any major city here.

AZ is just **** hot in the summer. Like 114 hot on average
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:54 PM
Roy

Garage
Your somewhat correct about AZ but don't forgot the real heat is down in the valley. Up north like Prescott or Flagstaff is often four seasons with much more reasonable temperatures.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Tell me more about the problems with California. I get that housing is more expensive, but after that consideration is CA more expensive in general?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopasta View Post
Tell me more about the problems with California. I get that housing is more expensive, but after that consideration is CA more expensive in general?
We live in Palo Alto part time to be close to our grand kids. Everything is so expensive out there. For example, my wife and I went to a burger joint for lunch. We had burgers, fries, and shakes. My bill was over $50. I can get the same exact lunch in North Carolina for $25.

In California gas is more expensive. Trade services (plumber, painter, roofer) are more expensive (if you can find someone to do the work). Groceries are more expensive. I could go on . . .

In North Carolina I can leave my house and be on country roads in 10 min. From where I live in Palo Alto I have to drive/ride 30 to 45 min. just to get to some decent country roads. Don't even think about riding/driving in rush hour traffic.

Last week in Californai you had to wear a mask so that you wouldn't breathe the smoke from the fires.

Our son wants us to move to California permanently but I keep resisting. (My wife and son will eventually win.)

If I could move to my favorite place it would be in or near the mountains of North Carolina. The prices are moderate. The winter doesn't get too cold. There are so many places to ride that I could never ride them all.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 08:46 AM

Garage
Palo Alto is beloved by many, particularly those who live there. Mostly for the weather, which is consistently good. But, it is expensive and there’s lots of traffic because of all the tech companies. But, further north is Humboldt County, less city, beautifully scenic, near the Redwoods, a lot of great riding roads and full of people who don’t want San Francisco. Worth a look. Probably not really inexpensive but, certainly not San Fran prices, which nothing is these days.
gfspencer likes this.

Last edited by jerrman; 11-27-2018 at 09:08 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page