Triumph Range Cut - Triumph Bobber Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Psychopasta
  • 1 Post By BOBBYP

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Triumph Range Cut

Was down at my dealers early this morning to get the clutch cable replaced as the original one was trying to cut it's self in half on the guide bracket.

So i took the opportunity to to blag a test ride however the salesman told me that the Rocket has been discontinued and they are not getting any more of the |Thunderbird range in any more (no official letter of range death as yet tho to the dealers)

Looks like over half their range are now twins rather than triples.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

Sad if true that the Rocket has gone. Much too big for me, but I really liked that it existed.

Also sadly, I think the Bobber has done for the TBird. I traded mine in to get the Bobber. I think if you're really going to take on Harley in the US market (surely the TBird's mission) then you need to embrace impracticality in a way I think the Triumph peeps find hard to do. The Bobber isn't trying to go head-to-head in Harley's (declining) market, it is its own perfect creation and Triumph can good-engineer the **** out of it. The Bonneville/Bobber/Speedmaster range all sharing the same design fundamentals will make it much easier for Triumph in the US market.

My 10c anyway.

- Pasta
BOBBYP likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 04:57 AM

Garage
Agree. Bobber isnít going after the Harley market and I donít think any of their line is, at least not anymore. It might have been a (after) thought once but, I think Triumph has found its way to success with all their recent intros. Maybe some of those aging HD riders looking for a lighter, more responsive ride might consider the Speedmaster but, I think Indian provides more than enough options. There is a limit to how long you want to pilot a 700 lb. motorcycle. I know I found it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 05:10 AM

Garage
I assumed everyone knew this... When I went to the dealer, I was wanting to look at a Thunderbird LT, and the salesman told me no longer being built. My question was "why is it in the brochure", and his response was there was still one in dealer stock in the UK (Jersey) but that the dealer wouldn't swap it out... He also said that the Rocket 3 was gone, so the Cruiser section is no more... Perhaps it's Euro XXXX emissions type approvals.

I don't get the Triumph thing here, surely in the 2018 brochure, bikes no longer in production shouldn't be shown. Not that I'm complaining, it got me pointed at the Speedmaster.

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrman View Post
Agree. Bobber isnít going after the Harley market and I donít think any of their line is, at least not anymore. It might have been a (after) thought once but, I think Triumph has found its way to success with all their recent intros. Maybe some of those aging HD riders looking for a lighter, more responsive ride might consider the Speedmaster but, I think Indian provides more than enough options. There is a limit to how long you want to pilot a 700 lb. motorcycle. I know I found it.
I agree . . . even though I am not coming from a Harley. (I've owned many bikes over the years but I have never owned a Harley.) I am coming from sports bikes (Ducati & BMW). I needed something a little lower that was easier for me to get on. The Bobber fit the bill.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 09:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethariel View Post
So i took the opportunity to to blag a test ride however the salesman told me that the Rocket has been discontinued .
The Rocket III can no longer be sold because itís not Euro IV compliant, however after a factory visit a few weeks ago I have it on good authority that theyíre working on a new one possibly with a bigger engine.

As for whatís happening with the Thunderbird range I have no idea but Iíd be surprised if theyíve given up on them entirely.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber-Bomb View Post
The Rocket III can no longer be sold because itís not Euro IV compliant, however after a factory visit a few weeks ago I have it on good authority that theyíre working on a new one possibly with a bigger engine.
Well that's good news for me anyway, still want to own a rocket!

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 02:34 PM

I don't know if it was intentional or not but the Bobber is extremely attractive to Harley owners. That's how they got me! I have some great bikes in the garage including a couple of Harleys but the Bobber is the "go to " bike most of the time!
gfspencer likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-10-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBYP View Post
I don't know if it was intentional or not but the Bobber is extremely attractive to Harley owners
I get waves from Harley riders when I am riding my Bobber. I never got waves when I was on a Ducati or a BMW.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2018, 02:38 PM

I was in Hinckley three weeks ago and I had a nice chat with one of the factory tour guys. He said Triumph is going to concentrate on three bike lines in the future: classics, adventures and nakeds. The reason he gave is fairly simple: Triumph is rather small compared with the Japanese giants or even BMW and some of those have a car production as well so they have lots of money and even more important many engineers. So Triumph decided to concentrate on what they do best: that is definetely the classic bikes nobody does it with such love for details. It is also the nakeds: the current Speedie seems to win any contest in our german motorcycle magazines when it comes to nakeds. And of course the adventures will all be triples and that is also something very unique (well if you do not count Yamaha's MT09 line).

If you take that in account you see the logic: they simply try to make the most out of the technology they have and at least over here they do have sucess with that.

and btw: who needs a monster like the Rocket? I remember a trip we did on the Tridays 2016 in Austria when we went up the GroŖglockner and up to the EdelweiŖspitze. 180 degrees hairpins on a narrow cobbled road. We came up fairly easy but it started to drizzle a little bit on the way down. Three guys were on Rockets and at 10 degrees Celsius they were sweating like crazy as they tried to get down in one piece. On my Tiger 800 I was not sweating at all and I had a nice smoking break waiting for those dinosaurs.

On second thoughts: obviously BMW can afford to have a K 1600 in their portfolio and Honda the Gold Wing. There is a market for these bikes but you need to be bigger than Triumph to make a profit out of it.

2017 Bonneville Bobber in jet black
2013 Tiger 800 roadie in crystal white

Last edited by derchef62; 06-11-2018 at 02:40 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page