Help from the British members.....Please - Triumph Bobber Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter
Koz

Help from the British members.....Please

Hi ........

I will be traveling to Great Britain in July this year for Vacation...... The Hotels in London I am considering are :

London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square ---- or ---- The Grosvenor Hotel (101 Buckingham Palace Rd).

Can any of you provide input as to which is a better location to stay as relates to walkability, area pubs, restaurants, safety, etc.....

Thanks

Koz
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 12:21 PM

I know nothing about the big picture of London. You are quite right getting ideas from the experts on this forum.

That said, this time last year I stayed in the Ham Yard Hotel. It is a pretty nice hotel with a lot of amenities. And it was within easy walking distance of Milroy's of Soho. (Milroy's is a world famous Scotch bar which carries a lot of unusual, hard to find Scotches.)

Have a fun trip!

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 01:04 PM

Not much between them. Grosvenor square maybe a little quieter. Plenty of restaurants near both. For walking to sightsee would probably choose Buckingham Palace Road but as I say not much in it.
Skykop likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:51 PM

Garage
I've worked in both areas. The Hilton Grosvenor House is on Park Lane, which is really a the western edge of "the West End" which is London's shopping district and consists of Oxford Street and Regent Street. It borders on the Eastern edge on Soho, which is a more "bohemian" area, with small restaurants, bookshops and used to have a large sex trade including shows that were intent on fleecing customers.
You're are talking a lot of walking and the pubs aren't really typical British pubs. London is hard work to walk around in the West End

The other area, is near Victoria Station, and Victoria Street. There are plenty of pubs in the back streets around this area, and I've spent nearly 20 years working about half way along Victoria Street towards the Houses of Parliament, and walking south from Victoria Station is an area called Pimlico, which is a bit of a "village", self-contained and some nice restaurants.

Happy to respond in more detail in a PM if it helps?

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 04:54 PM

Garage
Hi Koz,
I lived in central London for a few years, there are lots of good pubs no matter where you stay. I would always choose a hotel near to a tube station for travel around the sights of London. Just do a little research on the internet to find what you may like, it can be very expensive though. There is so much to do and so many historical places to see, Iím sure youíll love it.
Where else in the UK to you plan to visit ?
Regards
Dave
eisen77 likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Koz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skykop View Post
Hi Koz,
I lived in central London for a few years, there are lots of good pubs no matter where you stay. I would always choose a hotel near to a tube station for travel around the sights of London. Just do a little research on the internet to find what you may like, it can be very expensive though. There is so much to do and so many historical places to see, Iím sure youíll love it.
Where else in the UK to you plan to visit ?
Regards
Dave
We start in Edinburgh--6 nights---then 3 nights in Ambleside---then 3 nights in Oxford----and we finish with 5 nights in London...... will probably rent a car in Edinburgh and turn it in in Oxford and take the train to London. It should be a great trip.......

koz
gfspencer likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 02:05 AM

Are you planning on doing any exploring beyond Edinburgh during your stay there?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 05:09 AM

Garage
That sounds like great locations to visit.
Edinburgh has lots of places to visit, the Royal Mile up to the Castle caters for all visitors including tours around the streets, also George Street is good for restaurants etc (The Dome is very popular)
Ambleside is great for walking, if you are fit there are many challenges in the area. We are often there walking and running.
Oxford, lots of places to visit there although Iíve not been there for a few years.
London, just so much to see and do. The London Eye, the imperial war museum and The Tower of London are just a few of my favourites.

Dave
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 05:43 AM

Garage
I went to University in Oxford. It's lovely, a walk around Christchurch Meadow, down along the Cherwell, and out onto the Isis (that's what the Thames is called through Oxford), then along by the college boat houses. If you are capable, punting is fun (I hadn't forgotten after 40 years). Cars are (rightly) discouraged in Oxford centre, and it can be worth parking outside and taking the excellent Park & Ride buses into the city.
Skykop likes this.

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 07:30 AM

Garage
A visit to the bike shed in London should be on the cards.

https://bikeshedlondon2018.com/

Enjoy.
1960Bobber likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page