Hey London folks - Triumph Bobber Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Hey London folks

All the joke around here today is the mayor trying confiscate your knives now. Whatís going on with that? Truth to that or #fakenews ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2AF91698-D5A1-48DD-A0EB-D7EFF9A1CFD9.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	20170  
post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 03:34 AM

Not that I know of.

It's illegal to carry a knife, anyway, and has been for a long time. Perhaps he's planning a crackdown due to the high number of knife crime incidents this year.

But your steaks are safe as most restaurants I've been to tend to provide knives.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 06:04 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX429 View Post
All the joke around here today is the mayor trying confiscate your knives now. Whatís going on with that? Truth to that or #fakenews ?
I think the law states you can carry a knife in the U.K. but the blade canít exceed 3-1/2 inches, (check that length?!) and it canít be a locking knife.

The issue is the extreme lefties have pushed and managed to make it illegal for the police to stop and search without probable cause. So we have a country full of little thugs who know they canít be stopped so more of them are carrying knives and guns than ever before!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 06:23 AM

Not to mention all the refugees and such. I hear itís getting pretty bad over in Europe but they wonít show it here in the States.

Theyíre slowing trying to pick away at us though as well.

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC
1960Bobber likes this.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 03:37 PM

Garage
Back when I was little they clamped down on knife crime, they seem to do it every 10 years or so, the only problem now is there are so few police left that they really can't make much of an impact on the knife carrying/acid carrying gang culture that has developed over the past 10 years in the capital.

Police numbers are so far down, it's going to take a decade to get them back up even if the cash was available.

This degradation of personal defense all started back in 1969 with the Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1969, c. 52 (repealing laws dating back to 1297) which removed the old 'Thou shalt practice with the long and short bow and arrow on the village green every sabbath and holiday for all men under 60' followed by the banning of semi auto rifles then cartridge firing handguns, just waiting for the banning of personal transport in case someone uses a car to kill people on purpose....... oh wait that happened so private vehicle ownership's days are numbered now!
getor likes this.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 04:25 PM

Ethariel, you forgot to mention razor blades. They are popular with the subway/underground gangs.

Chico
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

The lunacy... If this experiment is not a testament to the fact that criminals will always find a way to be criminals and always have weapons, then I donít know what is. Outlawing a societyís means of defense is not a solution to offensive criminals. I am glad I live in Texas.
getor likes this.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 02:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX429 View Post
The lunacy... If this experiment is not a testament to the fact that criminals will always find a way to be criminals and always have weapons, then I donít know what is. Outlawing a societyís means of defense is not a solution to offensive criminals. I am glad I live in Texas.
Thereís a very thin line between peopleís humans rights and going too soft. Sadly in the U.K. the far left have got their way and the criminals are revelling in the outcome. I remember being stopped and searched a reasonable amount whilst growing up... it never bothered me because I never had anything to hide and because I spoke to the law like a decent person I was on my way within no time. Idiot wanna be gangsters of today love the negative attention and make a meal of being stopped, (under probable cause) I guess their lives are so pathetically empty that it gives them something to talk about.

Having said all of that we by no means have the same level of issues compared to the death rates in the U.S. The gun situation out there also needs serious review in my humble opinion but then it seems we all have our issues sadly!
1960Bobber likes this.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
Thereís a very thin line between peopleís humans rights and going too soft. Sadly in the U.K. the far left have got their way and the criminals are revelling in the outcome. I remember being stopped and searched a reasonable amount whilst growing up... it never bothered me because I never had anything to hide and because I spoke to the law like a decent person I was on my way within no time. Idiot wanna be gangsters of today love the negative attention and make a meal of being stopped, (under probable cause) I guess their lives are so pathetically empty that it gives them something to talk about.

Having said all of that we by no means have the same level of issues compared to the death rates in the U.S. The gun situation out there also needs serious review in my humble opinion but then it seems we all have our issues sadly!
While I don't disagree that more needs to be done here in the US about gun control, I'm not sure what actions would provide tangible results. In the UK, guns were taken away...now down to the pocket knives...That would be a path the US would not want to go down.

While all the items that have happened over the last few years are extremely unfortunate, and I do believe there needs to be some changes, I will not lose sight of the reason why we are allowed to own them, of which I completely agree and support.

Also, don't lose sight that there are far less deaths here than say in the middle east or other countries. They don't have gun rights, but apparently they can make bombs and still get guns. And the vans driving into crowds...It's all over the place. 9/11 killed way more innocent lives in one foul deed than what we have been experiencing with guns. I'm not trying to downplay it, but point out other facts.

Lastly, I grew up in England, was the best time if my life. That said, I have had knives pulled on me several times around the town I lived. Fortunately, nothing ever happened to me. Even saw a kid get stabbed in the neck with a byro pen down in South Banks. In the US, I have never had a knife or firearm pulled out on me. Of course, I am also not visiting rough neighborhoods in Chicago..but where I was to get a knives pulled out in Banbury and Bodicote were safe places to.

We do need better gun control whether it's longer waiting periods, changing the age of being able to purchase them, etc. I am even for getting rid of things like bump stocks and the like. And yes, there is only 1 reason to have a magazine that can store 50 rounds in it....

I'd like to think that if we were ever invaded though, the invaders wouldn't get past the Rockies on the west, and the Appalachians on the east!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-11-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
While I don't disagree that more needs to be done here in the US about gun control, I'm not sure what actions would provide tangible results. In the UK, guns were taken away...
...not true, only semi-auto pistols and revolvers. Now we have long barrelled revolvers, i.e.a revolver with a coat hanger on the butt. We still have rifles.

When some guns were taken away, we had bumper stickers that read "now only criminals have guns".

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page