Oil change. Before or after storage or ??? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Oil change. Before or after storage or ???

So, if I'm away for four months and not riding , should oil be changed before, after storage or both? Thanks.
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:10 PM

It depends on how long ago and how many miles since the last oil change.

Chico
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

In my opinion, after.
4 months is not that long.

Hope all is well !
Psychopasta likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
In my opinion, after.
4 months is not that long.

Hope all is well !
Four months is certainly enough time for particles to come out of solution and settle in the sump. If the oil is fairly new then it probably doesn't matter since there won't be too much junk that passed the almost new oil filter (assuming that it was changed at the last oil change). In my part of the world we mothball our bikes for a few winter months so I have some experience with this issue. It's always better to have clean oil when storing a motor for several months.

Chico
Great Black North likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Knowing Jerrman I doubt the oil currently in his bike will be old or low quality.
When my bikes were stored for over a year I would have them drained and prepped for long term storage. But 4 months? If it was my bike I would change the oil after this short period.

If it was a track bike I would change before and after. But not so on a well used road bike.

Another thought; Fuel may go bad in this time if not stored correctly.
jerrman likes this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Anyway, just want to add that this is my personal opinion and what I would do - and have done - on my bike(s).
Iím not a mechanic and Iím sure Chico has a very valid point too.

If the oil change question is a major concern, I would just change before and after to erase any doubt or worry you have.

I would also elevate the bike with paddock stands.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
Knowing Jerrman I doubt the oil currently in his bike will be old or low quality.
When my bikes were stored for over a year I would have them drained and prepped for long term storage. But 4 months? If it was my bike I would change the oil after this short period.

If it was a track bike I would change before and after. But not so on a well used road bike.

Another thought; Fuel may go bad in this time if not stored correctly.
Eisen, you make a good point about the fuel, although that wasn't the topic of this thread. A fuel stabilizer is definitely recommended when storing fuel for more than one month. The best one available in the US is Star Tron, it contains enzimes that counteract the negative effects of gasohol on engine seals in the fuel system.
Jerrman's question is as old as which oil is best. My adopted Cambodian son isn't as "well" informed as we think we are he didn't change oil in his new Toyota for over 60M miles. He just added oil as needed, the car ran fine when he traded it in. Go figure.

Chico
eisen77 likes this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:58 PM

Garage
I always change oil after the riding/driving season just before storage to remove any contaminates and not let them sit in the engine for the 4-5 months of storage. 😁

Riding Free
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
Eisen, you make a good point about the fuel, although that wasn't the topic of this thread. A fuel stabilizer is definitely recommended when storing fuel for more than one month. The best one available in the US is Star Tron, it contains enzimes that counteract the negative effects of gasohol on engine seals in the fuel system.
Jerrman's question is as old as which oil is best. My adopted Cambodian son isn't as "well" informed as we think we are he didn't change oil in his new Toyota for over 60M miles. He just added oil as needed, the car ran fine when he traded it in. Go figure.

Chico
Had oil changed when I came back to U.S. in February (after four months storage), so I'll probably do it before leaving. Chico, that's just what I do with the fuel, Star Tron fuel stabilizer. Everything was good when I came back and I assume will be again, when I return after this trip. Thanks!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:21 PM

Oil is cheap!!