Oil change. Before or after storage or ??? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Oregon
Posts: 919
Garage
Oil change. Before or after storage or ???

So, if I'm away for four months and not riding , should oil be changed before, after storage or both? Thanks.
jerrman is online now  
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Chico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Suffern, NY
Posts: 798
It depends on how long ago and how many miles since the last oil change.

Chico
Chico is online now  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
 
eisen77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Palma de Mallorca
Posts: 3,177
In my opinion, after.
4 months is not that long.

Hope all is well !
Psychopasta likes this.
eisen77 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:26 PM
Senior Member
 
Chico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Suffern, NY
Posts: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
In my opinion, after.
4 months is not that long.

Hope all is well !
Four months is certainly enough time for particles to come out of solution and settle in the sump. If the oil is fairly new then it probably doesn't matter since there won't be too much junk that passed the almost new oil filter (assuming that it was changed at the last oil change). In my part of the world we mothball our bikes for a few winter months so I have some experience with this issue. It's always better to have clean oil when storing a motor for several months.

Chico
Great Black North likes this.
Chico is online now  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
 
eisen77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Palma de Mallorca
Posts: 3,177
Knowing Jerrman I doubt the oil currently in his bike will be old or low quality.
When my bikes were stored for over a year I would have them drained and prepped for long term storage. But 4 months? If it was my bike I would change the oil after this short period.

If it was a track bike I would change before and after. But not so on a well used road bike.

Another thought; Fuel may go bad in this time if not stored correctly.
jerrman likes this.
eisen77 is online now  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
 
eisen77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Palma de Mallorca
Posts: 3,177
Anyway, just want to add that this is my personal opinion and what I would do - and have done - on my bike(s).
Iím not a mechanic and Iím sure Chico has a very valid point too.

If the oil change question is a major concern, I would just change before and after to erase any doubt or worry you have.

I would also elevate the bike with paddock stands.
eisen77 is online now  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Chico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Suffern, NY
Posts: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
Knowing Jerrman I doubt the oil currently in his bike will be old or low quality.
When my bikes were stored for over a year I would have them drained and prepped for long term storage. But 4 months? If it was my bike I would change the oil after this short period.

If it was a track bike I would change before and after. But not so on a well used road bike.

Another thought; Fuel may go bad in this time if not stored correctly.
Eisen, you make a good point about the fuel, although that wasn't the topic of this thread. A fuel stabilizer is definitely recommended when storing fuel for more than one month. The best one available in the US is Star Tron, it contains enzimes that counteract the negative effects of gasohol on engine seals in the fuel system.
Jerrman's question is as old as which oil is best. My adopted Cambodian son isn't as "well" informed as we think we are he didn't change oil in his new Toyota for over 60M miles. He just added oil as needed, the car ran fine when he traded it in. Go figure.

Chico
eisen77 likes this.
Chico is online now  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Milwaukee, WI. USA
Posts: 362
Garage
I always change oil after the riding/driving season just before storage to remove any contaminates and not let them sit in the engine for the 4-5 months of storage. 😁

Riding Free
Forjox is online now  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Oregon
Posts: 919
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
Eisen, you make a good point about the fuel, although that wasn't the topic of this thread. A fuel stabilizer is definitely recommended when storing fuel for more than one month. The best one available in the US is Star Tron, it contains enzimes that counteract the negative effects of gasohol on engine seals in the fuel system.
Jerrman's question is as old as which oil is best. My adopted Cambodian son isn't as "well" informed as we think we are he didn't change oil in his new Toyota for over 60M miles. He just added oil as needed, the car ran fine when he traded it in. Go figure.

Chico
Had oil changed when I came back to U.S. in February (after four months storage), so I'll probably do it before leaving. Chico, that's just what I do with the fuel, Star Tron fuel stabilizer. Everything was good when I came back and I assume will be again, when I return after this trip. Thanks!
jerrman is online now  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Jaymz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 131
Oil is cheap!!
Jaymz is offline  
Reply




Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome