Chain & Laser Monkey? - Page 2 - Triumph Bobber Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:43 AM

Garage
I did a deal on these, but can't get them to fit on the Speedmaster, because of the rear suspension frame, with the upper and lower frame members preventing any access...

The other thing worth noting is you need to get a couple of flare nut spanners to get to the adjusters...

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This was the reply I received from tru-tension to my email, letting them know that the legs on the laser donít fit on my sprocket.

Iím sorry... but I canít seem to find the pic they make reference to. But from memory it was just a pic of the laser mounted directly to the chain.

Hi Mike,

Based on the photos youíve provided we would advise to mount your Laser Money your chain rather than the sprocket. This will mean the legs will have the space required and wonít be obstructed by your hub.

I have attached to photo just to help explain.

Have a nice weekend,

James R

Tru-Tension | Tru-Tension US | Precision Every Time | Home
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:50 PM

I ended up getting a basic chain alignment tool, a cheap version of the Motion pro one. Even it doesn't have much room to go on to the sprocket, it was clamped against the chain. I also checked the wheel alignment with a straight edge against the wheels. The rear wheel was not aligned properly - it wasn't the worst I've seen, but the straight edge was out by about 15mm at the front, and the chain was visibly not straight with the tool. So I've aligned it all now. Bike feels a little different. I think we get used to compensating for things like misaligned wheels, and when they're straight we have to get used to it again. I've got enough trust in the chain alignment tool now to use it to make sure things are aligned. It's a pity the laser monkey doesn't go on to the sprocket, that looks like a really cool piece of gear. Guzzilaz, do you mean there's not enough room for the chain monkey to go on? I was wondering about that. Also, I didn't have any problems with the adjustors. I used an old suzuki tool kit 12mm for the nut near the axle, and an open end for the 13mm on the front. That was tight, but I just managed to do it. I think if you bought a cheap 13mm spanner and ground some of the meat away from the outsides it would work quite well.

Hows the weather in England lads? I was in Portsmouth last year, in June, and it was glorious. Isle of Wight festival was pretty cool in the great weather.

cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentherev View Post
Guzzilaz, do you mean there's not enough room for the chain monkey to go on?
Yep, if the chain monkey sits on the chain you can't see the scale (VERY USEFUL).

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzilazz View Post
Yep, if the chain monkey sits on the chain you can't see the scale (VERY USEFUL).
Forgive me, but is the Speedmaster different from the Bobber in some in that area? I can see the measuring scale perfectly on my BB.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
Forgive me, but is the Speedmaster different from the Bobber in some in that area? I can see the measuring scale perfectly on my BB.
Not sure as I've never taken that much of a close view of the swing arm on the Bobber, but on the SM it requires to be on "No 1" as I recall, but that puts the scale right behind the horizontal member of the swing arm... I can't put it on with the displacement already set, I have to put it on then tighten to the scale ref... I'll try to take photos when I get back in about 10 days.
Mike J Commo likes this.

Larry

Essex UK

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page