Progress on TBob: Orange is the happiest colour - Triumph Bobber Forum
 75Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Progress on TBob: Orange is the happiest colour

So like most everyone here, I got myself a new Triumph Bobber and am bit by bit making her my own.
Step one was to give her a name. TBob she is.

You all know what she looked like out of the factory. But it is rare we permit them to stay in that virgin state for long.

Step two was to add more black bits. So she looked like this when I picked her up from the dealership:

Step three was to ride and enjoy her some and work out what else was needed.
She is so easy to ride. She's nimble and nippy; her clutch is nice and light; suspension rides reasonably well, but room for improvement; she's got bunches of torque and surprises me by still rolling on well in sixth on the highway, so not rushing for engine mods. And suitably quiet: I've been sneaking out on her for coffee and brekky in the early mornings and whenever I want to run some errands.

I just need to be mindful of her brakes as they aren't as "instant" as these other rides. A couple of times now I've had "increased heartrate moments" as I've underestimated the effort required at the lever. She stops and the ABS works as designed; it is simply me being used to a lever with a better feel and more immediacy.

While she's awesome fun in and around town, she's also not that comfortable for cruising for a few hours at 110ish kms/hr on the open highway; her nakedness creates quite a bit of wind resistance. I may consider the little Dart screen for those runs, though another option is for Clip-ons to bring me closer to the tank (and make playing even more fun), but then I'd want to complement that with rear sets or at least a rear set of foot rests. Need to think about that some more as I have other bikes for longer highway runs.

So riding her over the past few weeks has given me some priorities for those further modifications, but first a purely aesthetic mod...

Step four is to "orange-ify" her. So stripped her naked and dropped the tins into the Paint Doctor. The tins now have a gold base with checkers in light and dark gold in a fairly traditional Triumph arc on the tank with candy-apple orange over the golds. Then as a checkered stripe fading from front to rear on the fenders.
Base graphics:

And then the top coats:
I'm super excited about the colour It's just gorgeous with so much depth and gloss. The checkers worked out much more subtle than I'd anticipated; you really can't see them until you move around the bike in the sunlight, then they pop out. Almost like you are imagining them and when you look again they've disappeared. Magic!

And finally, on the bike...

I'll get some close-ups of the graphics in the sunlight soon.

Step five was the Wilbur rear shock. It was installed along with the tins while the guards were off. It is the 643 in the Nightline custom built for my weight.

Step six will be the brake upgrade. I contemplated dual brakes, which was my initial preference, but involved lots of dollars even if I did most of the install work myself (and yes I was tad annoyed with the Bobber Black announcement the day after I took receipt of TBob). So I've now decided to go with a 4 pot Brembo that FreeSpirits offer. I'm very familiar with various Brembo offerings across my bikes and cars so felt confident that it would be a good choice and a better match for the master cylinder that the current single caliper. It is ordered, but still on route.

So I'll upgrade this thread as she evolves and as I enjoy her more. While I have step 6 as the brake upgrade I will also be gradually adding more brass accents. Mostly I'll be painting / powdercoating pieces such, though will also be keeping my eyes open for other accent pieces over time. There may be whitewall tyres in her future too, but need to run up quite a few more miles before I'll be able to justify that to myself.

Cheers and thanks for reading this far (or at least just looking at the pics )
Forjox, eisen77, getor and 19 others like this.

~ "Orange is the happiest color" ~
My Photography Website: www.photobytrace.com
post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 06:53 AM

Location: I currently live in Chiang Mai Thailand, from Southern California, Costa Mesa
Garage
Beautiful!!!

AKA Slomo Schmecklebaum
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 08:06 AM

I prefer the shock spring black to keep it less obvious, & maintain the hardtail look.
Paintwork looks great, always nice to see a bike not black,
You've really made TBOB your own well done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Looks great! I am currently trying to figure out a personalized license plate. Much of what I would want is already taken.

How do you like that seat?
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie View Post
Beautiful!!!
Thank you Louie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trirocket3 View Post
I prefer the shock spring black to keep it less obvious, & maintain the hardtail look.
Paintwork looks great, always nice to see a bike not black,
You've really made TBOB your own well done.
Thanks. And it is good that we all have different tastes in what we like and dislike; adds variety Do you still have your Rocket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
Looks great! I am currently trying to figure out a personalized license plate. Much of what I would want is already taken.

How do you like that seat?
I like the seat. I've done a couple of longer runs with it and the wind buffeting tires me well before the seat causes discomfort. However I have ridden horses for most of my life, which I think changes my perception on how tolerable seats / saddles are.
Good luck with figuring out a plate you like; hopefully you can come up with a combination that is available

~ "Orange is the happiest color" ~
My Photography Website: www.photobytrace.com
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 09:04 AM

All I can say is wow! Great job on the paint.
Trace likes this.
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 10:09 AM

Looks very good.
Trace likes this.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 10:39 AM

Garage
Awesome! I like it!👍
Trace likes this.

Make Life a Ride
Calthi
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace View Post
Thanks. And it is good that we all have different tastes in what we like and dislike; adds variety Do you still have your Rocket?
Yes R111 14 years now,994 Bonnie, Thrux R & Bobber all tuned up & customised nice & bright like your TBOB.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 02:27 PM

Trace likes this.

765RS,Speed3R,ThruxtonR,T120,ThruxtonClassic,Thrux tonEFI,HDSlim,48,NightRoad,DynaGlide,Roadking,Héri tage,900CBR,1500F6C,1100ZRX,1200Bandit,1100Zéphir, 1000CBR,750SRAD,VMax,750&1000GSXR,750Stinger,FJ120 0,500XT,Ténéré,GS1000&750,GT750&380,RDX,K5..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page