Couple road trip - NJ to Maine & another flat UGH! - Triumph Bobber Forum
 9Likes
  • 6 Post By Tom Tenore
  • 1 Post By Great Black North
  • 1 Post By Tom Tenore
  • 1 Post By Tom Tenore

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Couple road trip - NJ to Maine & another flat UGH!

Had an awesome weekend in Wells, Maine with family. About 9 hours there taking all back roads and avoiding tolls.

The return trip however was 12+ hours with many forced stops after developing a not so slow leak on the Street Glide's front tire. Picked up an air compressor at Target which turned out to be a life savor. Fix a flat didn't help much besides making a bloody mess of the wheel. It's amazing how squirrelly the steering gets at low speed below 15psi! What's life without a little excitement?

Lots of folks stopped and offered help but the compressor and patience was all we needed. Recommended pressure is 36psi. Kept filling up tire to 44psi between Bobber gas ups which were roughly 1/4 tank drop on the Hog.

In the third picture you can see the Bush family's beach house complex in the background. Six black Chevy Suburbans were parked in the driveway belonging to his Secret Service entourage!

Kris did great on the Bobber. She followed on the trip though when we ride together back home she usually leads. We communicated using Sena headsets until batteries died which made the journey much more enjoyable (when they worked LOL). Uncle Peter loved the Bobber! He has an older Harley Heritage.

Short video....
)

Last edited by Tom Tenore; 08-27-2019 at 09:31 PM.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:21 AM

Sounds like a fun trip. Great pictures!

I've had two car flats in the last two weeks. One on my wife's Mercedes and one on my Porsche Macan. The Mercedes tire was an easy fix with a plug. I had to buy a new $350 tire for the Macan.

I'm glad that the compressor saved the day for you. Flats are a pain in the rear that can ruin a cool vacation.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
Sounds like a fun trip. Great pictures!

I've had two car flats in the last two weeks. One on my wife's Mercedes and one on my Porsche Macan. The Mercedes tire was an easy fix with a plug. I had to buy a new $350 tire for the Macan.

I'm glad that the compressor saved the day for you. Flats are a pain in the rear that can ruin a cool vacation.
Thanks, Front tire was at 25psi this morning and re-filled to 42psi. Got out the soapy water and still can't find the leak. Ugh.

Last month had a flat on the bobber in worst possible place... first bend after long downhill road where cars fly.... Police were super helpful coordinating traffic during pickup....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:29 PM

Garage
Sounds like maybe the valve core? I have seen before when the spring fails.. The extra centripetal force when the wheel is rotating is enough to open it slightly allowing it to bleed off. Then when you stop to try to check it, the the air pressure closes it..

Just a though.
Tom Tenore likes this.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Black North View Post
Sounds like maybe the valve core? I have seen before when the spring fails.. The extra centripetal force when the wheel is rotating is enough to open it slightly allowing it to bleed off. Then when you stop to try to check it, the the air pressure closes it..

Just a though.
You could very well be right... It's still right at 42psi after several hours sitting in the garage....
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 03:47 PM

^^^^ I really like the rack on your rear fender. Was it hard to mount? Did you have to remove the wheel?

Hope you figure out what makes your tire go down.

I had a flat on a BMW R nineT on a Monday. Monday is significant because when I called BMW Roadside Assistance they couldn't find a motorcycle dealer to help me. Duh! I ended up calling BMWMOA. The service truck responded with a special truck that picks up motorcycles. They drove me 40 miles home and I took the flat tire to the dealership the next day.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
^^^^ I really like the rack on your rear fender. Was it hard to mount? Did you have to remove the wheel?

Hope you figure out what makes your tire go down.

I had a flat on a BMW R nineT on a Monday. Monday is significant because when I called BMW Roadside Assistance they couldn't find a motorcycle dealer to help me. Duh! I ended up calling BMWMOA. The service truck responded with a special truck that picks up motorcycles. They drove me 40 miles home and I took the flat tire to the dealership the next day.
Thank you. A&J installed the Fehling rack. It's not too bad, four screws - see instructions here... https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ai1PUIFoRO-DgoI2...TNWAw?e=t6HNSO

Should be able to install without rear wheel removal if careful. I removed bolts and nuts to install Kriega US-10 afterwards following instructions here.... https://www.triumphbobberforum.com/f...-solution.html

BTW, very scary ride back to HD dealer tonight in rain after front tire pressure dropped from 42 to 14 psi.... Tire held fine all day until started riding.... HD Service Mgr thinks it's either cracked rim or bad valve stem.

Then there's the M8 transmission oil sumping problem... fighting with HD Corporate to fix under warranty.... my early 2019 bike was $30k and has less than 5k miles... HD started factory installing vent tube mid-year 2019 to address well known tranny sumping issue.... more to follow....
gfspencer likes this.

Last edited by Tom Tenore; 08-28-2019 at 09:37 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 07:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tenore View Post
Then there's the M8 transmission oil sumping problem... fighting with HD Corporate to fix under warranty.... my early 2019 bike was $30k and has less than 5k miles... HD started factory installing vent tube mid-year 2019 to address well known tranny sumping issue.... more to follow....
Do tell,, Is it all M8's, or just the 114's. I hadn't heard a thing about it until now.. Not sure when mine was built..

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Black North View Post
Do tell,, Is it all M8's, or just the 114's. I hadn't heard a thing about it until now.. Not sure when mine was built..
My understanding is that quite a few 107 and 114 M8s had sumping transmission to primary issues. HD mishandled and took too long to address the issue which exacerbated the problem.

I'm still pretty pissed about treatment from HD Corporate last week. They wanted my original dealer to measure, level fluids and then come back in 1k miles and recheck levels before installing vent kit - see TSB. I had 1k service done at same dealer so levels should have been fine @ 5k miles. Suggest checking your tranny fluid often to be safe especially if traversing mountain landscape and yours doesn't have kit installed from factory.

Thankfully found a local dealer who installed the vent kit without all the drama bullshit. They have earned my biz going forward. Typically I do my own maintenance but not with this bike. If there's a problem during 2 year warranty I'm pointing back to HD.

The flat appears to be caused by a bent front wheel. Dont recall hitting anything absurd on trip but as they say **** happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64657653_10218731819837465_6363694712808800256_o.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	37485  
Great Black North likes this.

Last edited by Tom Tenore; 08-31-2019 at 11:51 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tenore View Post
My understanding is that quite a few 107 and 114 M8s had sumping transmission to primary issues. HD mishandled and took too long to address the issue which exacerbated the problem.

I'm still pretty pissed about treatment from HD Corporate last week. They wanted my original dealer to measure, level fluids and then come back in 1k miles and recheck levels before installing vent kit - see TSB. I had 1k service done at same dealer so levels should have been fine @ 5k miles. Suggest checking your tranny fluid often to be safe especially if traversing mountain landscape and yours doesn't have kit installed from factory.

Thankfully found a local dealer who installed the vent kit without all the drama bullshit. They have earned my biz going forward. Typically I do my own maintenance but not with this bike. If there's a problem during 2 year warranty I'm pointing back to HD.

The flat appears to be caused by a bent front wheel. Dont recall hitting anything absurd on trip but as they say **** happens.
Thanks for that Tom. Will do some research to see if mine is affected. My Dealership seem to be a pretty proactive bunch, so hopefully they have already done it if needed, but better safe than broke down!

That sucks about the wheel, but at least its solved!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page