Triumph Bobber Forum banner

New plate fitted... non-law friendly

12K views 43 replies 18 participants last post by  Brigstocksbobber 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That’s partly my thinking... the bike does look old so at first glance the law might miss it. Having said that I happen to have a load of mates in the force who all ride... and all have black and silver smaller than legal plates.

If you can’t beat them 0:)

#7 ·
Well, it was legal in the 1950s but these days a rear plate needs to be black on reflective yellow in the UK. Also a certain size, font and spacing.

The silver on black is still allowed for bikes from that era. I also think the side mounted plates aren't legal and those ones that are curved around the chain would have you hunted down by SWAT over here.

Edit: Beaten to it by Brigstock

#6 ·
Not how our system works.
Black and white plates are only on vehicles over a certain age, maybe from the 70's or even older.
We more modern bikes should have yellow and black with stipulations on size of plate, size of font, type of font, even down to material, still some discussions on metal plates due to reflectiveness and if a speed camera can pick it up.
The other problem is the difference of rule reading between police wanting ticket money and the man down the MOT who cares that it is legible.

#12 ·
Thanks for the feedback chaps and you’re right... it’s only vehicles registered prior to 1976 that can run a black and silver plate. This one is also smaller than permitted although at 7X5 it’s commonly used and gotten away with.

I have been considering a personal registration... I very nearly bought MC18 BOB for £1000 but it obviously wouldn’t have made it look any older... just a cool plate.

It seems you can pick up random private plates for a couple of hundred pounds which would certainly help to make the bike look older.

#13 · (Edited)
Earlier than 73 black/silver is legal.
I have old plates on my 994 Bonnie, Thrux R & Blobber, these bikes all look older with the mods/paint I have done to them,
so proper old number in black/silver, old bike & old gezzer riding them, it all fits.
But to me a new reg number in black/silver is clearly wrong & asking for a tug from some power mad plod.

this is my 2012 Bonnie

#14 ·
Is the law different for motorbikes and cars with regards to the date of being able to haveblack/silver plates?

Of course there’s a risk to having such a plate on a new bike but I guess ridding a bike in the first place is a bigger risk. Would I try to get away with it if I still lived in London...no, but where I live now I hardly ever see the police whilst out and about.

#18 ·
It’s 7X5” but I can’t remember where I bought it from... and can’t find the receipt. Just run a search for motorcycle show plates. Top tip... make sure the back of the plate it black. It looks much better than having a white backing ruining the look of the bike from certain angles ;)

#21 ·
I really fancy getting the black and silver plate, nut don't want the attention of the boys in black. In my younger days always had smaller plates, mixed with speed used to get a bit of attention. I was thinking is it possible to have both plates on meaning, have the yellow plate behind the black plate if you do get a pull you can say showing the bike forgot to change plates back and do so there and then and change back when home. Longer nuts needed, but is this idea worth a go?

#24 ·
Funnily enough I plan if ever come the time to play the very same game...”oh wait what, oh my how silly of me, I forgot to swap back to the legal plate after my meet/show”

Only problem with running one plate over the over is the size difference... other than that I think it would a treat :)

Sadly can’t remever exactly where I ordered the plate from. I just simply searched for... black and silver motorcycle show plates. The size as pictured is 7X5” ;)

#31 ·
Hi mar649
I tried to find the UK legislation regard number plate mounting but gave up after 30 mins!
Does it specify which side the plate has to be mounted (near side or off side)?
I have a 7x5 Black/silver plate mounted on the near (left) side.

Hey there, look up on this forum a thread called "I have the answers" by brigstocks bobber.
There are some basic details but also the VOSA and MOT testing sight and the MOT'ers handbook. Its actually a half interesting read.
Regretfully some of it is still a little ambiguous in regards VOSA "law" and roadworthy MOT.

http://www.triumphbobberforum.com/f...r-general-discussion/6097-i-have-answers.html

The link may work.

#40 ·
I have a metal black/silver plate on my Bobber, I have opted for the 9x7 legal size. My one is a quality heavy duty item and looks great. Bought from eBay U.K. from a company U.K. based company qualitypressings . Cost £14.95 delivered in two days !
I totally understand it’s not strictly legal on the road, I would say from all the police I know they wouldn’t be bothered with a plate like this at all.
SK

#42 ·
You can buy a replacement number plate via EBay or internet using your own registration number which is been given to your motorcycle via DVLA , as per this post owners like to personalise the plate by changing the size or style of plate, many of the plates are not strictly legal but look “cool”.
You can purchase a private number but this too must be registered via DVLA.
Registration of your motorcycle is done via our motor vehicle department known as the DVLA, all vehicles used on public roads in the U.K. must be registered.
SK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.