unable to edit post??? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 6Likes
  • 6 Post By Administrator

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

unable to edit post???

Hi,

I made a "How to" post and wanted to go back to edit and add some pictures... my permissions say I am allowed to edit my posts, but I cannot find the link to actually edit the post. Please advise - thanks!
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 04:00 PM

Edits are limited to 10 minutes after you post on this forum! I have no idea why? Don't know anybody who does!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Garage
The time limit on editing is in place in general to protect the integrity and history of forum posts. Prevents one user from removing vital information and potentially destroying/making useless, very valuable threads.

10 min is a pretty small window and we can look into expanding it a bit if that's what people want

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 02:09 PM

Garage
I agree 10 mins is very short. how about 20 or 30 mins. How about forever?

I don't understand the vital information thing... The posts belong to the individual who write the posts.. we can't modify each others posts (as far as I know).

If the Poster can only modify his/she post, and forum's objective is to protect the Poster from "potentially destroying/making useless very valuable threads" that makes no sense to me.

I believe the poster should be able to Post, even create a personal Wiki of the topic as he/she wishes. And maintain control over that information.
The forum is a repository of ideas and comments and testimonials etc.

This approach would have the benefit of allowing consolidation of topic information and making it much more readable.
As an interested reader of, lets say, "exhaust mods" you could read in a single place what a contributor has to say about an exhaust mod.
You won't need to scan through pages of a thread written over months to compile the Poster's messages. He/she would have been able to modify the original post. It's not important to maintain the journally or the chronology of messages over their content.

The notion that we need to be protected from yourself; our typos, bad ideas we'd like to retract, updates we wish we could add to your original posts is unnecessary. This isn't Congressional testimony that needs to be protected.

That said, I realize we are all constrained by the functionality of the Forum Software. We can't make it do something it doesn't do. And I understand many forums work this way.

Thanks for your time and consideration.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
The time limit on editing is in place in general to protect the integrity and history of forum posts. Prevents one user from removing vital information and potentially destroying/making useless, very valuable threads.

10 min is a pretty small window and we can look into expanding it a bit if that's what people want

Kevin
I think if I were to do a lengthy post, I would type it all up in Microsoft Word or some other software, then copy and paste it into the post.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post

Kevin
Thank-you for the explanation. I have seen nefarious individuals on other forums edit posts and modify content, not their own including mine. If this is the only way to combat that then I guess I am for it! 30 minutes would be nice. I believe persons caught doing this should have their IP addresses banned permanently!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBYP View Post
Thank-you for the explanation. I have seen nefarious individuals on other forums edit posts and modify content, not their own including mine. If this is the only way to combat that then I guess I am for it! 30 minutes would be nice. I believe persons caught doing this should have their IP addresses banned permanently!
Agreed.
A 20 min window is sufficient and no modifying should be allowed after that.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Garage
Hey guys,

I've gone ahead and upped the time frame to 30 min after your post goes up to allow for edits. If you decide you need to edit it after that 30 min time frame, please feel free to reach out to us and link us the thread you wish to edit. Let us know what part(s) you'd like to change/adjust and we'll look into that for you.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Cheers,
Natalie
Zanetti, eisen77, BOBBYP and 3 others like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page