Options with new bike order - Triumph Bobber Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 05:51 AM Thread Starter

Options with new bike order

Your opinions please......

When I ordered my Bobber, I also ordered cruise control and the V&H pipes.
When the bike arrived none of the options were available. I got the cruise control a few weeks ago, and the pipes today. The dealer wants to charge me to fit the options. I think this is a bit rough, as I wouldn't have been charged if Triumph had all the items ready when the bike was released. If I ordered the options later, I wouldn't expect them to be fitted for free.
What do you think?
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Alot comes down to your relationship with the dealer and how the deal was done.
Finance, cash deal or part exchange all make a difference to the dealers profit margins. Most dealers do and will take money for fitting accessories, as essentially the mechanic is putting them on for you while on the clock (and could be doing other repairs/servicing, etc). None of the aftermarket accessories come ready fitted from Triumph.
But again, it comes down to dealer discretion and how hard you want to push them. At the very least, i would ask for a labour discount if they are indeed charging you (as many of the accessoroes are relatively quick to install).
The cruise control does entail a bit more labour, but the V&H slip ons SHOULD be installed for free in my opinion!

Last edited by eisen77; 06-09-2017 at 07:33 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bobber View Post
Your opinions please......

When I ordered my Bobber, I also ordered cruise control and the V&H pipes.
When the bike arrived none of the options were available. I got the cruise control a few weeks ago, and the pipes today. The dealer wants to charge me to fit the options. I think this is a bit rough, as I wouldn't have been charged if Triumph had all the items ready when the bike was released. If I ordered the options later, I wouldn't expect them to be fitted for free.
What do you think?
Logically, you would think that if you ordered it a certain way, it should come that way and the only added cost would be if the added item was higher cost than the stock item. Basically you are charged for an exhaust that you won't be using, and then charged for the purchase and fitting of the other exhaust.

Another member had the same complaint, had ordered the bike with the black cases and had to pay for the stock one, and the fitting of the new ones....but didn't walk away with the stock engine cases...

It does seem wonky to me, but as Eisen said, the dealers don't work for free, and the accessories aren't fitted at the factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 11:02 AM

A similar experience. The bike comes as it is only the colour differs. Any changes from the stock is for the retailer to do that is also why (I assume) that time to replace is / used to be announce on the accessories website (seems the Scandinavian one has omitted that recently...).
However, I was given every original part that was replaced. And it should be like that as that is what I paid for at the outset. If anybody 'confiscates' the original parts and charges you for the items AND the time to replace I would seriously challenge their business morale.
If they replace and only charge the part price and not for the work then of course there are points to discuss who shall have what. The original parts may not have much more value than the work time to replace. Maybe...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by getor View Post
A similar experience. The bike comes as it is only the colour differs. Any changes from the stock is for the retailer to do that is also why (I assume) that time to replace is / used to be announce on the accessories website (seems the Scandinavian one has omitted that recently...).
However, I was given every original part that was replaced. And it should be like that as that is what I paid for at the outset. If anybody 'confiscates' the original parts and charges you for the items AND the time to replace I would seriously challenge their business morale.
If they replace and only charge the part price and not for the work then of course there are points to discuss who shall have what. The original parts may not have much more value than the work time to replace. Maybe...
The dealer gave me all my original parts too once the accessories were installed.
They MUST give them back to you, as it is your property.
OEM parts are important when you sell the bike on or part-ex it. Not everyone likes/has the same taste...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
Another member had the same complaint, had ordered the bike with the black cases and had to pay for the stock one, and the fitting of the new ones....but didn't walk away with the stock engine cases...
Sounds a bit suspect. The only way I see something like that being justified is if the 'new' black cases are sold as an exchange item. The traded covers are then painted/coated and on sold again. Happens a bit with machinery.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page