Triumph versus Harley - Page 3 - Triumph Bobber Forum
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike the Bike View Post
Great pics mate! Looks like a good day was had by all!

I had a week's holiday on the island 3 or 4 years ago, with some friends from here in Germany; and although we just flew there and stayed mainly in the area where most typical holiday-makers stay , I promised myself that I would visit again on my bike one day, to explore the island much more.

This is where my comparison comes in; I would of course want to do the trip from here, (near Hanover) down to Barcelona, on my Road King; and then have the Bobber to ride around the island... I wonder how heavy a trailer a Road King can tow...

Cheers!
mike
When you do come back to visit, be sure to let me know.
Mike the Bike likes this.
post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
When you do come back to visit, be sure to let me know.
Sure, will do

Through the mud & the blood, to the green fields beyond...

British Army Veteran 1975-1984
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:41 AM

Seems to me that a lot of Harley riders are buying the triumph Bobber , I know most HD owners are fearlessly loyal to the brand , so keeping the Harley and just adding the Bobber Is ok . But not just the Bobber a lot of other Triumphs also ..... Just sayin .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:22 PM

I've owned just about every Harley model made and currently ride a 15 Street Glide Special...... along with a Bobber. I bought the Bobber (British race green and silver) because the bike is just way too cool and after test riding one, I knew Triumph hit it out of the park. The two bikes are clearly different. The Harley has character and presence; the Bobber has style and grace. Where my Harley gets me down the road on long trips, the Bobber opens me up to new ways of riding and an entirely different feel. With the Harley, I sit in the bike and I'm surrounded by engine, metal, and bright shinny things. I relax and use the weight of the bike to take me through turns. The Bobber is different. When I'm on the Bobber I'm more focused, more aggressive, and I have to use my weight to move the bike around a turn. I have to concentrate on relaxing as I've found that if I'm tight in the saddle that I don't ride the bike as well. In many ways I think riding the Bobber has made me a better and more skilled motorcyclist. I want to push the bike more and experience what it has to offer and to learn about her inner secrets. She is elegant, raw, and beautiful.

As a Harley guy for the last 30 years I'm glad I branched out. I'm blessed to be able to have each bike in my garage and probably enjoy motorcycling more now that I did when I was younger. After all these years and too many miles to count, I'm happy to say I'm still learning and happy that the Bobber is part of my life.
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by profman View Post
I've owned just about every Harley model made and currently ride a 15 Street Glide Special...... along with a Bobber. I bought the Bobber (British race green and silver) because the bike is just way too cool and after test riding one, I knew Triumph hit it out of the park. The two bikes are clearly different. The Harley has character and presence; the Bobber has style and grace. Where my Harley gets me down the road on long trips, the Bobber opens me up to new ways of riding and an entirely different feel. With the Harley, I sit in the bike and I'm surrounded by engine, metal, and bright shinny things. I relax and use the weight of the bike to take me through turns. The Bobber is different. When I'm on the Bobber I'm more focused, more aggressive, and I have to use my weight to move the bike around a turn. I have to concentrate on relaxing as I've found that if I'm tight in the saddle that I don't ride the bike as well. In many ways I think riding the Bobber has made me a better and more skilled motorcyclist. I want to push the bike more and experience what it has to offer and to learn about her inner secrets. She is elegant, raw, and beautiful.

As a Harley guy for the last 30 years I'm glad I branched out. I'm blessed to be able to have each bike in my garage and probably enjoy motorcycling more now that I did when I was younger. After all these years and too many miles to count, I'm happy to say I'm still learning and happy that the Bobber is part of my life.
I enjoyed your perspective contrasting the two motorcycles and riding styles. Thanks for sharing.
post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:43 PM

Thanks Profman for posting what you did.

I’ve never owned any bikes but Triumphs and Harleys over the years. I currently have an Ultra Low and a Bobber. I’ve grown to like ‘em both. As for choosing to ride one or the other (other than the logistics of the ride), it really comes down to mood. They are both classic looking bikes which appeals to me. When cold weather or a long ride is a factor, then the Harley gets ridden; if a local ride in reasonable weather, I take the Bobber. Both bikes handle superbly and they’re never in competition with one another since the advantages of both are why I have both.

Most men that do thrive in the world do forget to take pleasure during the time they're getting their estate, but reserve that til they have got one, and then it is too late to enjoy it. Samuel Pepys
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 10:30 AM

Garage
Hmmm.
I always had a thing for a Harley, but got close many times but never comitted, when the Bobber came out, in fact before when it was just hype and pictures I already knew I would be having one. Firstly I rode to the NEC from Devon in the pi55ing rain to see one physically, this confirmed it, eventually I tested one to confirm it even more, but before I plunged they had a 2014 (I think) HD 48. this would have been my HD of choice or the 883. Any way as a final factor I booked a test on the '48 and the Bobber back to back while my Street was in for a service.
Different is an understatement:
'48 was outside and as I approached they started it up, WOW, the smile I had was ear to ear, that screaming eagle made me weak at the knees, so got on and felt cool in a HD kind of way.Pulled off all laid back, arms stretched legs stretched, cool. started easy and then gassed it at a round about, holly bugger, nearly fell off the back of the bike, slid virtually off the seat and grabbed for dear life to the grips which when at full stretch was a mission. I can only say other than that I had a blast.
Bobber, outside with standard pipes, started up, I smiled - not the same smile. She looked pretty I smiled again, got on. Triumph cool, different seating position slightly more comfortable, more part of the bike. Off we wnet on the same route, when I gassed her I felt confident at overtaking it was easy, smooth in the bends, it felt easy, more natural, not viceral(HD). It started to rain but I got back in a happier place mentally.

Decision virtually made.

Had another look around the '48, corroded cylinder heads - alot . paint peeling of the frame at numerous locations, the bike was 4 years old max. And was untidy.

Decision made, signed on the line. Made the right choice for me.

A HD with screaming eagles may one day be something to have running in the background, for sh1ts and giggles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0557.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	21521  
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 11:59 AM

Garage
I know I'm likely to get shot at here as it's primarily a US forum, but I cannot believe the hype over HD. I test rode an 883 sporty a number of years ago, and then a bit later a 1200 sporty with some screaming eagle bits. I left the dealer on the 883 and had to do a right turn (think left for US peeps) onto a main road alongside which was a tall stone wall. Still don't know to this day how I didn't total it into the wall, the handling was so ponderous... The 1200 gave me double vision, I went for an overtake on a truck on a single carriageway, dropped a gear revved to about 4k where the rev limiter kicked in. I got off with double vision from the vibes.…

I really don't see what the hype is about... The Speedmaster is infinitely more refined and involving.

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 12:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDog View Post
Mike, I initially rejected your assessment, but upon pondering this simple distinction, I agree that this was a fairly good comparison if one were pressed to cite a single comparison.

My difficulty in coming to terms with the comparison was--and you qualified your statement by citing that the two bikes are hugely different--that the two bikes are almost too different to be compared. It's also difficult to isolate the different sensual responses received that comprises the overall 'feel' of the bikes. Bike weight, sound, putting it in gear, the take-off, power, and handling. How one is positioned in the saddle and the posture of the rest of the body. After ignoring the Harley for a month, then getting on it, the feel almost defies a comparison and requires a mile or so down the road to get re-acclimated.

I currently have an Ultra Low and Bobber, but have had a Road King, two Deluxes, Superglide, and Sportster in the past. With Triumph, I've had 2 modern Bonnevilles, 2010 Thunderbird, and a T120 way back when.

Overall, the Triumphs are refined and precise. The Harleys exudes raw power, and are rugged. Both seem to handle well in their own way. In a sense, they compliment each other, as there are times when I crave a raw feel and times when a more refined ride is in order. Not with the Bobber (since I've had it only since late July), I would get somewhat bored on the Bonnie (too smooth) and need a shaking.
I agree DevilDog...I also have an Ultra Limited Low and a Bobber Black. I call them Thunder and Lightning. Two different bikes for two different types of riding. I am having a blast riding the Bobber Black, but it's like getting on an old friend when riding the Ultra. Rip around town or short ride in the country...Bobber. Need to carry a passenger or gear, going on a multi day ride..Ultra. Best of both worlds and I couldn't be happier.

Side note: I get compliments all the time on the Bobber Black and it always seems to attract attention. With the Vance & Hines exhaust and X-Pipe, it sounds sublime, surprisingly, even more so than my Harley with custom Vance & Hines exhaust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thunder and Lightning Pic.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	21529  
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-28-2018, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irisheye View Post
I am having a blast riding the Bobber Black, but it's like getting on an old friend when riding the Ultra.
That's an interesting turn of phrase there Irisheye. In exactly what way is it like 'getting on' an old friend?

Enquiring minds want to know.

- Pasta

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page