MotorCycle.com - 2017 Triumph Bonneville Bobber Review - Triumph Bobber Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

MotorCycle.com - 2017 Triumph Bonneville Bobber Review

This is really just someone describing the bike and listing off the specs. But the reason I'm also posting this is because of one of the comments I seen underneath it.

I can imagine that manufacturers would try to spruce up and entice reviewers to get them to say purely great things about their products, it's not that hard to believe. But I've never heard any "stories" about this happening with Triumph but it would start to raise some questions.

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 11:18 AM

Fuel capacity is only 2.4 gal but we don't know what the fuel economy rating is. I'm guessing that's the trade-off for a nice and compact looking tank.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

If we don't know what the mpg of it is, this guy Chris Doms may know something we don't..? Or is he assuming just because the tank is just 2.4 gallons?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 11:55 AM

motorcycle.com mentioned a 57 mpg rating. So that's around 136.8 miles per tank, most likely a bit less as you don't want to completely drain the tank of fuel.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

So that converts to 220km... so lets say 200km.. Ah.. that's not that bad for what I'll be using it for anyways.. I don't mind it.

Is this not gonna work for anyone here?
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lure View Post
So that converts to 220km... so lets say 200km.. Ah.. that's not that bad for what I'll be using it for anyways.. I don't mind it.

Is this not gonna work for anyone here?
I like to think that letting the tank get to 1/4 at the lowest is a good practice and sure ensure that you don't damage anything over the long haul of always running it low.

For most people that sort of range will be sufficient and won't result in any sort of range anxiety.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-25-2017, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

So that would be riding to about 170km or about 105 miles or so. Still good enough. Not too sure how long of a journey people plan to have on their Bobbers but nonetheless, plan out a route with gas stations and you'll be good either way.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 11:21 AM

Reviews?

Actually if you actually read the reviews there have been several criticisms made. The most common complaint concerns the single front rotor and the need for better braking in sportier riding. The tank size happens to be part of the bobber style of bike. These are not tourers by any measure nor were they intended to be. The Sportster has had a peanut tank of about this size for many decades. This bike just like any motorcycle will not be for everyone. Either will be spectacular motorcycles be for everyone. The Ducati XDiavel is a stellar performer, but in spite of that sales have been disappointing and availability is easy.

All that being said the Bobber speaks to me. I have three bikes currently, and have owned 18 others over my 50 years of riding. I currently own a 2014 HD Road King CVO, 2012 Triumph Thunderbird, and a 2012 Vespa 300 GTi. The Bobber is perfect for my riding in Ft Lauderdale area which is bumper to bumper traffic, a heavy tourer just is no fun and makes no sense. My other bikes are up North where I ride the Vespa in urban areas and my tourers out in the country on the twisties and mountain roads.

Motorcycles are basically recreational vehicles purchased for fun and the joy of two wheels and how the bike makes you feel riding it. I will own a Triumph Bobber
Lure and Bobby like this.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 02:35 AM

Really down to what you intend to do with the Bobber. For long road trips and tours, I'd just take the car but weekend rides through some nice scenic valleys are perfect with the Bobber. The brakes are probably fine unless you intend to put it through its paces hard.

Your garage is what I aspire to have, something for every type of riding besides track including a scooter for those pesky errands.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Could always keep 2 of these kicking around with you? Find a cool way to mount them so that they don't look weird.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page