Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Final Version of Sprung Seat

16K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  GreenBlood 
#1 ·
I’ve completed the final version of my seat upgrade. I ended up using 5” springs mounted to some right angle brackets. The seat is from La Rosa, one of their off the shelf seats as opposed to the specific bobber ones.

The seat can move up and down so it’s very comfortable, particularly on rough roads, and I think it adds a classic bobber look.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Stunning! I'm going to look into this, due to the how jarring the roads are around NoVA. There is so much new construction around here, even the mainline roads are a mess.

How did the front of the seat attach? Did you have to modify a bracket for it, or did you use what was available on the bike and La Rosa? Good job!

#8 ·
How did the front of the seat attach? Did you have to modify a bracket for it, or did you use what was available on the bike and La Rosa?
I used the La Rosa supplied mounting bar and bolted it through through the space where the existing seat attaches. (Attached photo shows this better). The only modification I did to the front of the seat mount was to drill the holes in the La Rosa mounting bar out to 10mm. This meant when I used a 10mm bolt the front didn’t move around from side to side.

Attachments

#6 ·
Like this, good job mate, you've won me over. The black springs as opposed to chrome compliment the retro brief..........seriously contemplating going up the same path but was a little concerned about the seat pan rear bolt displacement and spring alignment to frame . Almost? 'plug-n-play'. Definitely going the same way. Did you use the La Rosa hinge or some other proprietary item.

I prefer the distressed leather look myself, was waiting for the missus to ask me what I wanted for Christmas, but that never happened! still sitting in my 'add to cart' wish list.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Triumph went to a lot of trouble to create a "floating" seat effect. For me that is a signature design feature of the Bobber. I wouldn't want to negate that effort.

Chico
I agree in part with your sentiment. The Bobber is unique and they got it right first time, proven by the sales figures but also question why the seat mount and pivot was so over engineered. Would be interesting to see some of the original concept design sketches. Did they have something else in mind, maybe an accessory spring seat option?

#21 ·
Due to a request, I’ve added few more photos of the seat here. Apologies about the lighting.

Attachments

#23 ·
Full marks to b_gilbert1 for his I guess you could call It his prototype seat , Its great to see so many of us doing these mods to our bikes weather you like them or not It never gets old . Although my sprung seat Is form over function ( LOL In other words just for the period look ) I did It mainly for sh&^s and giggles but I had so many people come up to me and ask about the sprung seat and how great It looked that I decided to keep the look .....Im always thinking what next , So well done B_gilbet1 .

#27 ·
Did you
I’ve completed the final version of my seat upgrade. I ended up using 5” springs mounted to some right angle brackets. The seat is from La Rosa, one of their off the shelf seats as opposed to the specific bobber ones.

The seat can move up and down so it’s very comfortable, particularly on rough roads, and I think it adds a classic bobber look.
did you use the bung that welds to the frame for the seat hinge?

#30 · (Edited)
Brandon.
If you are directing that question to myself, well the answer is no! That's a dated post from January 2019.

Moving forward: I was fully intending to factor in the Biltwell hinge as it's a nice bit of kit, however opted instead to retain the OEM seat post. In the end it also required less head-scratching engineering and labour to fit. Converting the BB seat post to hinged was a simple exercise too.

You'll find pix of my Alex Leathercraft seat job in more recent forum posts.

String instrument Footwear Musical instrument Shoe String instrument accessory

#31 ·

What seat exactly is that? I like the look and color

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.