Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Why do people blur/blackout/remove license plate from photos?

7K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  MX429 
#1 ·
I'm curious as to why people hide their license plate numbers when posting photos of their Bobber on here? Sorry if this is a noob question, but seeing how I've posted photos of my bike with my plate number exposed everywhere, I'm starting to sweat. lol

#2 ·
Hello Rathead,

I can speak about germany only, where I life, but here you can find out name and adress of someone if you know the license plate number.

So it is much more safe and will protect privacy if you make unvisible your license plate on pictures!

Not sure if it is needful in the US...

Rgds
Ram

#4 ·
In the US, it’s the same concern - knowing someone’s state and license plate, you can pay ~$10 online and find the owner’s name and address. So... a thief could possibly steal the vehicle based on this knowledge.

#8 ·
For me, it limits my risk of "what I don't know", and what someone can do with your information. The internet is full of mistrustful people. As an example, let's say for the sake of argument - someone puts forth a point of view about your bike you take great offense to. I've seen things escalate to a stupid level over an oil thread in the past. Tempers flair, things are said. Next thing you know, someone is being vindictive and digging up information about you, and trying to use that information to "get back at you" any way they can. If someone can get your name, address - they can get other information about you, like where you work. With that information, they can take all the time they want to harass, cause financial mischief, who knows. Sounds a bit "far fetched", but when you take in consideration that it absolutely happens to people for the dumbest of reasons... I'm okay with taking a few moments of my time to X out some info I don't feel comfortable sharing.

#18 ·
As a master criminal, I currently run 4 different number plates on by bobber, from multiple countries and ride as fast as I wish and as reckless, I also ram raid jewellery shops, she can handle it.
And you 4 who have provided me with your plate details can expect the police at any time.
I do actually trust this forum not to tell others this information. ;-)

#19 ·
Here in the UK people take your number, get plates made and put them on a similar vehicle.
So the other vehicle looks registered, taxed and insured. If it gets a speeding ticket, it comes home to the real owner. The poor owner then has to try and prove that the fine isn't theirs.

I have a black plate with silver letters on a '17 vehicle which is illegal. A nosey jobsworth gov't official might see a pic of my bike, innocently shared online and track me down, so you never see my actual registration. It is always photoshopped.

I had to do the same with my Beach Buggy because the logbook read 'Volkswagen Convertible' - which it was - sort of :D

#20 ·
I don't understand this choice of plate sizes, different colors and fonts, as well as selling plates. Here in the colonies we only have a choice as to what the plate letters are if we pay extra for "vanity" plates. Otherwise we get a random plate with letters and numbers.

Can someone explain?

Chico

#21 ·
I don't understand this choice of plate sizes, different colors and fonts, as well as selling plates. Here in the colonies we only have a choice as to what the plate letters are if we pay extra for "vanity" plates. Otherwise we get a random plate with letters and numbers.

Can someone explain?

Chico
People in Europe aren't right, that's the only explanation. While in Ireland I ordered chips and salsa at a "Mexican" restaurant (jonesing for Mexican food at the time) and was provided fries with ketchup. In the UK its a little more normal, but people still do weird things. For example, if you want to buy some socks, laundry detergent, a microwave oven, bed sheets, a bicycle for your son, vegetables for dinner, and a can of paint to fix a wall in your house, you literally have to go to every single store in whatever city/town/village you're in. Here -- Walmart. Done. In Belgium a few weeks back, fuel was sold in liters...and it was like $7 USD per liter. It was crazy expensive but the gas station (called a petrol station btw) had some of the best bread I ever ate. Expensive fuel but dirt cheap gourmet bread? Totally backwards. Also had dinner out with some colleagues... for 4.5 hours! We arrived at the restaurant at 6:30pm (which nobody understood... it's 18:30) and we left at almost 11pm.

Not sure what any of this has to do with license plates, but the things I've seen, man... they aren't simply things that one can "unsee" if you know what I mean. :laugh:

Reactions: Brigstocksbobber
#26 ·
I guess the reason for blurring number plates is the same reason the vast majority of people do use a nick name on forums like this one instead of their real name. Although I know the "anonymity" of the Internet is not bullet-proof and with the right data you can track most people down I guess the majority still does not want to post private data as a rule.

I do not need to blurr my number plate as I have not even got one.... I am too fast for the filth...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.