Where do I start ? - Triumph Bobber Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Where do I start ?

Hello everybody. I never thought I’d be posting on a MC site in this lifetime but alas,like many it seems,I’ve been stung by the Bobber bug. My last bike was in 2002. I’m approaching 50 and haven’t even been mildly interested in anything on 2 wheels until I saw this vision of beauty. I’ve got some issues,however. Convincing the wife,who more or less green-lighted my purchase of a classic car 5 years ago. Of course the money issue is there but man, I’ve fallen in love with this model. I’m determined to buy one regardless of the outcome. Like they say it’s easier to ask forgiveness than permission. Been lurking here for quite some time absorbing and studying from you guys and you all are great! I’ve had 7 bikes in my life but never ever felt this way. Hopefully someone here can either talk me out of it or find a way to get me one without having to sleep in the garage. Lastly - how many more production years do you think the Bobber will be made?
Thanks, and I’m in NJ.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum!

Production just started last year, and they have already made two variants. It's supposedly the fastest selling Triumph ever, so I have no doubt it will be around a long time.

When I got into bikes my wife told me to only have a fatal accident. She's not going to be around to wipe my arse and provide long term care. Deal!

- Pasta
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 12:23 AM

Welcome, from a fellow Jerseyian.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 01:39 AM

Garage
Welcome! I hear ya on the wife/financing issue. I told my wife a little over a year ago, after talking with a couple of buddies that ride, that I was going to get my motorcycle license and buy a Triumph Bobber. She was taken aback at first, but once I explained to her that life is too short and one must focus on those things that bring us true joy in life, which to me was riding a motorcycle, she eventually came around. Granted, I had to go through the work of getting my license and crunching the numbers to make it work, but a friend once said "When you're in a marriage, it should never be about one person throwing out options and the other person saying 'No.' It should be about each person in the marriage talking about their dreams, and the other person saying 'How can we do it?'" Some things may be out of reach, but a motorcycle probably isn't one of them. As long as you can support her with her hopes and dreams, then yours should be feasible as well. Good luck in the debate with your wife, and hopefully happy riding will be coming your way soon.
bigbird likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 04:48 AM

in France, since the beginning of its marketing in February 2017, it has already sold some 500 copies. The importer expects 650 units by the end of 2017

It must be recognized when we talk about Bobber, Triumph is not the first word that comes to mind.
These motorcycles of the 40's, just after the war, were aimed at a unique look that was very pure and bare. A rigid frame, mudguards cut to their minimum strict (to bob, in American, .. hence the name bobber, a big engine and a mono saddle.

Lighter and smaller than their American competitors, the Triumph from 1937 with the 500cc Speed ​​Twin have become ideal bases for all those wishing to exercise. One of the main differences, beyond the engine, was a narrow front wheel providing better maneuverability.

So it's no longer naughty, Triumph has the blood Bobber that flows in his veins for a long time

I'm already waiting for the comments of the style "a bobber is a unique bike made by oneself with the sweat of his forehead, with nails torn off and compression of vertebrae at the first pothole, a guy thing Daryl kind in the walking dead what (if so, he has a bobber on Triumph base!)

Not totally wrong. But let's go back to a concrete case. A few years ago, it was inconceivable to imagine a racer-produced coffee. Like the current bobbers, they were the product of individuals and specialized workshops. Today, most manufacturers come out models with successful looks ideal for driving on a daily basis without having a degree in mechanics.

In addition, for the case of this Bobber, let us have in mind that being as radical as 80 years ago (rigid frame, free exhaust, braking, etc ...) is inconceivable particularly with respect to anti-pollution loins ( Euro 4) and security. The engineers at Triumph have made compromises compared to the models of yesteryear but the real question is: No matter the name, this bike, it is successful

If I had a flat to emit (and it always takes one ) they are on the turn signals and rear brake light too big for my taste. Dictated by the legal constraints, Triumph unfortunately had no alternative. On the other hand, on our side, a change for discrete models and why not with a remote license plate can be of the best effect! The front light is quite reasonable in size and fits perfectly into the bike line.

In the end, we find that with what characterizes the very essence of a bobber: a large motor well visible, a stripped look and a low bike offering this line very pure and minimalist.
ps: sorry for bad english..

765RS,Speed3R,ThruxtonR,T120,ThruxtonClassic,Thrux tonEFI,HDSlim,48,NightRoad,DynaGlide,Roadking,Héri tage,900CBR,1500F6C,1100ZRX,1200Bandit,1100Zéphir, 1000CBR,750SRAD,VMax,750&1000GSXR,750Stinger,FJ120 0,500XT,Ténéré,GS1000&750,GT750&380,RDX,K5..

Last edited by PFEN; 03-12-2018 at 05:03 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 05:08 AM

#PFEN
Ahem, do you remember the advice from Faulty Towers ;D

Apparently, I agreed when I got married that I would never have a motorbike. Don't remember that but I do have a Lambretta 150cc which doesn't get road time anymore.

I retired at 63. Whilst I loved my job, I retired because I realised that at that age I only have limited years available to enjoy, so I need to make the most of them.
I have admired bikes but never really wanted one. Then I saw the Bobber. I tried the Bobber and it was 'decision made'.
To begin with, I took it around the industrial estate where the dealer had its showroom. I didn't expect to take it out on the open road. I presumed I'd be put off by the experience by then. However, it didn't handle as I expected. I presumed it would be heavy and unwieldy, it isn't. It is thoroughly pleasant to ride.

I did take my test years ago so had the licence. I read some articles and books about riding heavy bikes, discovered counter steering and off we go. I have a lot of car experience and believe that observation, position speed, gear etc are just as relevant in a car as on a bike so I have been able to transfer those skills to riding along with my newfound skills.

The other misconception I had was that if you have a 1200 cc bike you need to be going over 'the ton' (100mph) as we used to say back in the '60's. I am pleased to say that there are a number of riders here who just enjoy the ride. I have been up to higher speeds which isn't that comfortable, which is why I applaud Triumphs decision to give the bike more low down torque at the expense of top speed. Personally, I don't need to go over the ton.

Go put your deposit down, I don't think you will regret it.
ysoslo likes this.

Last edited by chezqui; 03-12-2018 at 05:32 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezqui View Post
#PFEN
Ahem, do you remember the advice from Faulty Towers ;D
Hum.."Sorry, I'm not Basil" and I don't live in Torquay (English Riviera )
my wife does not have the same hairdresser as Sybil
but I could have called my dog Manuel
Leon likes this.

765RS,Speed3R,ThruxtonR,T120,ThruxtonClassic,Thrux tonEFI,HDSlim,48,NightRoad,DynaGlide,Roadking,Héri tage,900CBR,1500F6C,1100ZRX,1200Bandit,1100Zéphir, 1000CBR,750SRAD,VMax,750&1000GSXR,750Stinger,FJ120 0,500XT,Ténéré,GS1000&750,GT750&380,RDX,K5..
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFEN View Post
Hum.."Sorry, I'm not Basil" and I don't live in Torquay (English Riviera )
my wife does not have the same hairdresser as Sybil
but I could have called my dog Manuel
OK but just don't mention the war
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezqui View Post
#PFEN
, which is why I applaud Triumphs decision to give the bike more low down torque at the expense of top speed. .
I know another reason why torque is much more important then anything else.... you don’t have to shift gear, and MUCH more important, you don’t have to pull the clutch that much
Cu
Léon
chezqui likes this.

A) Tiger 800 Jet Black
B) Bobber black about 9.000 km ago
C) a backpack to be used with B) if you need a toothbrush AND a fresh t-shirt.
Btw WARNING!
Please try to avoid C) as it’s going to break your back on the long run.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 04:55 PM

Garage
Consider the Lilly.

NO stop LOL

I think what has been said is all wise words so fare. I only passed my test last April and I'm turning 49 in 2 months . A wise man said to me you never see a biker or Motorcycle parked outside a shrink clinic If you can work it out the benefits out way the negatives, It will make you a better lover that listens to your wife's every word , mm Ok maybe not but talk it through its a partnership after all.
P.S Welcome

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page