Hi from India - Triumph Bobber Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

Hi from India

Hi, picked up a morello bobber in Oct 17. Have been going on small rides since then, however tried a 2500 km ride last month... wondering how to make this bike touring friendly or am i teaching a fish to fly
Sameer
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

First of all, welcome to the forum.

You’re a brave man doing a 2500 tour with the Bobber. For me, it would be a physical challenge as well - being in that position and without wind protection for so long.
It certainly wouldn’t be my first choice (far, far from it in fact), but I imagine it’s do-able with a lot of planning and rest/fuel stops.
There are quite a few posts here regarding luggage/mounts and storage. You’ll probably need a comfy backpack too and an emergency fuel can. Try the “search” bar on the upper right hand side with those keywords.
I’ve done 1400km+ in 2 days on varying types of roads - but that was with my GL1800 & in total comfort with my wife to keep me company. Still wasn’t easy, though.

Like I said, you’re a brave man !

Last edited by eisen77; 03-01-2018 at 05:25 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Eisen... just a correction.. did 2500 km in 5 days... (in India thats about the max you go... but yeah frequent fuel breaks, wind blast plus luggage on shoulders resulting in aching shoulders and the suspension not geared up for Indian roads (state highways. national highways are great) resulting in bum massages every one hour...
doing mods for all except dont have the DART screens in this part of the world...

Going for another 2000km next week and then i decide if i have to work harder to buy another bike for touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

I think i speak for many of us on the forum: would be great to see some pics from your rides.
Never been to India myself & would be nice to see some Bobber adventures from there.

It would probably be a wiser investment to buy a good/used touring ready bike, then spending ALOT in order to make the Bobber a ¨tourer¨.
There is so much more available out there in terms of usable luggage, touring equipment, etc that can be moved from bike to bike. But once you buy special or customs parts for the Bobber you are pretty much stuck with it. Especially when it comes to unique mounts and brackets. Not to mention changing the looks, drilling and so on (and STILL having limited carrying capacity).
With a 2nd (more generic) touring bike you can easily buy second hand parts, reuse equipment/keep/sell and probably recouperate some of the money spent. But my guess is that there will be very limited market resale for a touring class Bobber and its parts.
Just my opinion. Of course you may have your sights on making the Bobber 100% touring ready and i respect that too. Not all biking decisions revolve around finance and much is based on passion.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 07:00 AM Thread Starter

Haha... “Not all biking decisions revolve around finance and much is based on passion.” i guess i am doing it that way but agree that the resale value and reusability will be very limited...so net net decision is to look for a touring bike which probably i needed a push on... thanks...

Will be posting the ride pics soon
eisen77 likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 01:00 AM

Location: I currently live in Chiang Mai Thailand, from Southern California, Costa Mesa
Garage
Welcome to the forum Sameer!

AKA Slomo Schmecklebaum
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 02:51 AM

Garage
Welcome!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 12:05 PM

Welcome, and please do post some pics of your bobber, enjoy!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 03:48 PM

2500 km - 5 days, 2.000 km in 4days?.. in fact time doesn’t make too big a difference, ....although, guess most people should say something like... “respect” (certainly taking Indian roads into consideration :-)) )
Have fun on bike (though with that amount of km?) and over here, great place to get info.
Cu
Léon

A) Tiger 800 Jet Black
B) Bobber black about 9.000 km ago
C) a backpack to be used with B) if you need a toothbrush AND a fresh t-shirt.
Btw WARNING!
Please try to avoid C) as it’s going to break your back on the long run.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 04:49 PM

Garage
Welcome Sameer. IMO, you could turn the Bobber into a longer distance cruiser but, the real questions are “why” and “ is it worth it.” There a lot of accessories that will help you do it but, in the end I still wonder whether changing the
bikes essential DNA is the best idea. It still won’t really be the best solution for multi-day long distance touring rides. In my case, I have an Indian Scout for that purpose. Best of the worlds and if your can swing it, a second moto might be the way to go.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page