Joining the Bobber Family - Sydney, Australia - Triumph Bobber Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Joining the Bobber Family - Sydney, Australia

Hi All

Ever since I first laid eyes on her and the Sydney Motorcycle show a few years ago, I said 'that's the bike for me, cool curves, beautiful in matte black and from a manufacturer with so much history', being from England originally, and with my Dad telling me stories of his Triumph Thunderbird and Bonneville's from the 1960s it makes sense to keep a family tradition going.

So after 18 months riding a Ducati Scrambler Sixty2 (LAMS), I'm ready to be part of the Bobber family now I'm armed with my full licence and I'm off and looking for my first Bobber.

I have a couple of questions for a Bobber newbie that I'm sure in this forum will get a response.

1. Has anybody purchased a bike from any of the 4 listed Triumph dealers in Sydney and if so what's your experience Good/Bad/Ugly..?
2. What would be the first 'must-have' changes on the Bobber - Exhaust, Tail Tidy, Seat, I've seen people (youtube) change the handlebar risers on the Bobber for a more 'relaxed' riding position, I wouldn't look to do this but what's your thoughts on the riding position..? is it comfortable after a couple of hours..?
3. The transition for me from a 400cc to a 1200cc seems daunting, but what's everybody's experience when they rode the Bobber for the first few weeks/months..?
4. What insurance company have any Oz owners used..?
5. Are there any active Triumph riders clubs in Sydney or do you know of any..?

Thanks and looking forward to becoming part of the 'family'

The trouble is, you think you have time...
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 08:45 PM
Roy

Garage
Welcome to the forum, your in good company.

As to the first upgrade, well there's lots to choose from. As for me the one mod that I really wished I had done much sooner was the Wilbers shock upgrade.

I've done too many mods to list but that one stands out as being one that if I could go back would have been the very first thing to do.

Good luck and lets see some pics?

Cheerio,

Roy
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 10:36 PM

Welcome to the Bobber Family. My first upgrade I made was the rear and front suspension. Wilber 640 for the rear and Wilber zero friction progressive springs for the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-03-2019, 10:43 PM

Welcome! If I had to do it all over again, I’d still do it in this order: rear shock, seat, x-pipe. I’d also highly recommend getting DealerTool or TuneECU to diagnose or reset lights. This bike is so low that I wouldn’t worry about it being a 1200. Very forgiving.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 12:55 AM

Welcome.

I’m going to agree with everyone else here and say the wilbers rear shock changed my bike. Usually my first upgrade is exhaust, but the stock rear shock on the bobber is soft, and this made my bike so much more enjoyable to ride. It’s the single best upgrade I have done.
Roy likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 06:20 AM

Garage
Welcome aboard.

What would be the first 'must-have' changes on the Bobber - Exhaust, Tail Tidy, Seat, I've seen people (youtube) change the handlebar risers on the Bobber for a more 'relaxed' riding position, I wouldn't look to do this but what's your thoughts on the riding position..?

I wouldn't be too eager to make big changes straight away, just give yourself time to get used to the bike and after a few months it'll become clear what you'll want to change.

Is it comfortable after a couple of hours..?

Yes...errr probably? This is such a difficult question to answer as it all depends on your age, weight, size, the type of roads you ride and what your expectations are? I find the Bobber perfect for the short to medium runs that I regularly do on England's country roads. However if I had say 400miles to do on a motorway I know that would be painful!

The transition for me from a 400cc to a 1200cc seems daunting, but what's everybody's experience when they rode the Bobber for the first few weeks/months..?

Don't worried about it being a 1200cc it's supper easy to ride and if you were confident on your Scrambler you'll be fine.
Trace, Great Black North and Chico like this.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 12:59 PM

Welcome to the forum

Been surfing this forum myself for bout a year but just got my profile up. A LOT of good information, custom builds, product reviews, and support on this site. I'm in the " Saved, decided, and looking to buy" boat with you and was waiting for the 2020's to come in but found a 2018 used with 500 miles and may be in the seat sooner than expected.

Just based on personal past experience with other bikes and builder reviews I've got to echo the other guys here, suspension upgrade. I've heard it literally transforms the riding experience and allows for a more comfortable longer ride without the bumps bothering you. Pretty much the only complaints I've heard about this bike revolved around the rear suspension and seat confort. Although I'd have to say Ohlins just because of the 100 bucks savings and comparable quality. I thought they had a black-line version of the 729 but can't find it on the stateside so the Wilburs might match a dark setup and be a little less noticeable under the seat. Also the guys that bought Wilburs do swear by them. The up and over Motone risers are a second purchase I'm going to get before I mess with exhaust and blinkers. I've got a bad back so ride comfort is a big issue with me and I figure reducing the reach for the bars and softening the ride will help me enjoy the bike a lot more.

🖕
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 01:56 PM

Garage
Hey JDbobber! Welcome!

Lots of good advice here.

Though, I think I'm with Bobber-bomb in so far as, ride it for a bit first. Upgrades tend to be pretty subjective I think, depending on how you use the bike.

I think I'm one of the few around here that hasn't changed out the suspension (yet), and I ride on some fairly rough roads where I live. But I'm probably one of the lighter riders here, and my seating position is a long ways from stock now. (high bars, forward controls).

Having said that, I don't tend to ride it very far, and rarely, for more than an hour at a shot, I would literally run out of gas about 80km short of the next available gas source if I was to try and travel out of town on it. I am, however, also on my 4th seat, and still, I am seriously considering a suspension upgrade as my next "need to get done" Mod.

As for rideability, This is probably one of the easiest, most forgiving bikes I have ridden. My only suggestion is don't yank on the throttle until you've had some time in the seat!

I look forward to seeing what you do with it in the future!
Bobber-Bomb and ysoslo like this.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 01:15 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum! For me, the first mod I'd recommend is the BoosterPlug, which will smooth out the low-speed throttle/riding. After that, I'd recommend swapping the front fork springs for TEC progressive springs (only $79US) nearly eliminates nosedive when braking hard. Third would be the Wilbers 640 shock, to smooth out the ride and give you plenty of adjustability.

The reality is that there are TONS of changes we can make to our bikes, so it's really up to you to take some time in the seat and see what changes you want to make. Look at the various build threads on this site to see what others have done and take what you'd like and pass on whatever isn't your taste or vision.

Each one matters.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page