• 1 Post By ysoslo
  • 1 Post By jerrman
  • 1 Post By Bobber-Bomb
  • 1 Post By muensterDeath
  • 1 Post By MrPix

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Hello from Thumper and Me in the UK

Hello, new to the forum and a Speedmaster 2018 owner/rider (I'll migrate to the approrpiate section after I'm done saying hi)

Had Thumper for a year and a couple of days now, coming from an EFI America for the 2 years previous after 23 years away from 2 wheels due to an 'incident' with my neck. Had a bit of epihony just after my 50th anniversary of birth when going round Stowe circuit (in the middle of Silverstone GP Track) driving an open wheeler wearing full race safety gear, that it may be time I lost a couple of wheels and gained my freedom back on the road seeing as helmets were back in fashion on my head!

Thouroughly enjoyed the America but never felt safe and I always felt too heavy for the bike. Took her for a service and rode out on a new Speedmaster.... seemed like a fair swap!

Loved the extra power instantly of the 1200 HT engine, but could not get on with the seat, my bits and bobs kept going numb. I opted for the brown quilted seat next visit to the dealer, but this was even worse so swapped it for the comfort seat, which lacked support and wasn't brown. Had it toughened up inside with some harder gel/foam and covered in brown leather but I was still losing feeling in the middle of my trousers. At my wits end I bought a Corbin Solo seat and whilst this was much better I got lumbar ache after 250 miles in a 290 mile day, but less numbness and I found could ride a lot further than previous before having to shake some feeling back.

Did some research on lumbar relief and bingo... installed the Bobber mid controls (see I am in the right forum). This was a revelation... No numb nuts! No backache! I could have probably got away with the standard seat and just added the mid controls! Had to change the handlebars too along the way, the standard beach bars are some form of sadistic joke by Triumph and only a masochist could enjoy them IMHO YMMV.

Love tinkering with little mods, have decatted her and adapted the ECU and recently tried the Trident Silencers, but they are not for me sadly.... too much of a hooligan sound for my aging ears so ebay here they come!

Been far and wide in the UK and bimble around locally in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire and am planning a pilgrimage to Devon/Cormwall second week in October during the upcoming heatwave here in the UK
First bike ride was on the back of my Cousin's BSA Bantam 185cc in the very early 70's aged about 7, behind my Dad (an ex-biker of the 40's and 50's), with a aluminium colinder strapped on to my head with a bootlace. I was hooked and pillioned my neighbours thrpoighout my childhood and had a 50cc lined up in the garage 2 months before my 16th birthday.

Previous background was in the 80's and 90's riding all sorts of Jap singles, twinpots and four cylinder's and refurbing classic Brits... Meriden Triumphs, Nortons, Ariel, BSA... what ever came my way, even a few barn finds.. with a couple of mates.

Anyhoo, that's me and below is my pride and joy, Thumper (before the mid controls)!

Thanks for having me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sm_Thumper_side_angle.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	38117  
eisen77, ysoslo, gfspencer and 2 others like this.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:07 PM
Roy

Garage
Well done mate a lovely bike,

Welcome to the forum, you've found the right place.

Looking forward to hearing what you are planing to do.

Cheerio,

Roy
MrPix likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum.
Thumper looks great!
MrPix likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 03:31 PM

Garage
Hey MrPix! Welcome!
MrPix likes this.

My Bike's Photographic History to Date
Yes I'm Proud of My Bike! Deal!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 06:26 PM

Garage
Welcome to the group. Great looking bike! Looking forward to seeing pics of your changes and trips.
MrPix likes this.

Each one matters.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 12:55 AM

Garage
Loved your intro and background. Welcome and congrats on a great looking bike.
MrPix likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 07:30 AM

Garage
Hi Mr Pix I'm in the Peak District too, if you're ever in Matlock Bath on a Sunday give us a shout we can meet up over a coffee and a bag of chips.
MrPix likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2019, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome. That looks like a comfty seat!
MrPix likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobber-Bomb View Post
Hi Mr Pix I'm in the Peak District too, if you're ever in Matlock Bath on a Sunday give us a shout we can meet up over a coffee and a bag of chips.
Excellent, I live 4 miles from Matlock Bath and am there often towards the end of the light of day. Will be sure to reach out.
Bobber-Bomb likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muensterDeath View Post
Welcome. That looks like a comfty seat!
It IS the best seat and I have tried 4 so far including this one

I have however upgraded the seat again with a different colour trim (same Corbin but with a matching Pillion for use now and again) and as soon as I have enough posts, I'll be popping it in the classifieds (only good for Speedie owners I know) along with the Trident exhausts (fits both Bobber and Speedie)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page