Considering a Bobber - Triumph Bobber Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Considering a Bobber

Hi all.

Loved the Bobber since it first came out but not had space in the garage.

Now I'm considering downsizing to one road bike and wondering if I could cope with the Bobber alone...?
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
Hi all.

Loved the Bobber since it first came out but not had space in the garage.

Now I'm considering downsizing to one road bike and wondering if I could cope with the Bobber alone...?
No need to consider, just proceed
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:17 AM

Garage
For me, the Bobber is an ďaround town, short tripĒ bike. While there are plenty of accessories available to make it for longer trips, I donít find it suited for that. Itís my ďsecondĒ bike and my go to for 100 mile rides, but I prefer my Beemer for going away. IMHO. That being said, BUY IT! I fell in love just from the ads and write ups. 😀
eisen77 and Leon like this.

Riding Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:39 AM
Roy

Garage
For me personally,

I have never enjoyed riding a bike as much as I do my Bobber. When not snowed it, I have no problem riding it daly, short and long trips, it's all grand.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 10:50 AM

Garage
Hi and welcome to the site.

I use mine for coastal town hoping in the Kent and Sussex areaís mainly. Typically Iíll set off at 9am and return home around 6pm. During that time Iíll typically cover between 100-150 miles in relative comfort but the smiles per miles are abundant.

Beyond that itís not a natural tourer thatís for sure, with most reporting to being good in the seat for an hour or a little more at a time. Luggage wise... with a little trickery itís amazing how much you can carry should there be a need.

Having made the touring comment... many have covered some serious miles on them and have lived to tell the tail and emerged with great memories and photos to share with us. I myself am planning a 1500 mile trip out into Europe for later this year. For me the bikes absolute kryptonite is the motorway... itís a boring place to be for me at the best of times but on a Bobber it isnít a pleasant place to be for a prelonged period of time due to being overly exposed to the elements.

If I had to sum the Bobbers up... Iíd have to say they are definitely the bike you want to be there on... but not necessarily the bike you want to get there on!
eisen77, Psychopasta and Leon like this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 11:39 AM

Man I want Mikes life, well done sir!
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Being totally honest, if I had to have one bike and one bike only, it would not be a Bobber.
As much as I like the Bobber, it simply has too many compromises as a ďdo-it-allĒ bike;
No luggage (or very limited), no passenger, bad stock brakes, no wet weather protection, bad illumination at night, etc etc.
Saying that, I would certainly consider another Triumph model such as the Tiger 800 or 1200.

There are other members a lot tougher than me and who use their Bobbers in all conditions and despite using mine in bad weather a number of times....I hated, despised and suffered every moment. My GSA has spoilt me rotten and there is no way Iíd be on any other bike when the sun hides away and bad weather comes along.
Riding safe & warm is as important as enjoying the ride. I simply love riding my GSA in the rain!

To end on a positive note, as a second bike the Bobber is everything I could wish for. It has an unrivaled feel good factor and I smile every time the sun comes out & we go out to play (which is a lot here in Mallorca...)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:00 PM

What I like about the Bobber is that it’s a great canvas to customize to your specific needs. Stock, I think there are better all-rounders. Whether it’s a reliable wife or a sexy mistress, the Bobber can easily be made into what you want.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 04:01 PM

I would have to agree with...everyone. Can the Bobber be your only bike, sure. Can you travel on it, sure. Are there better bikes to own as an only, of course. I also have a Tiger 800 to use for longer trips and bad weather, but the fun factor of the Bobber is off the scales. It can be modified to carry stuff, but still very limited. You don't mention where you live. If you are in a large metro area, the Bobber will do you good. If in a more rural area with greater distances to where you want or need to be, there may be better bikes for that, but the Bobber can be modified to accommodate. I have had a lot of bikes and would have a hard time thinking of one that is more fun to ride than my BB.
Leon likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 05:04 PM

Garage
I should have added and I’d certainly echo comments made in relation to the Bobber not being anything like the best of all rounders.

If I had to pick one bike or style there of, on the basis of being a jack of all trades... it would have to be something like a GSA or 1200 Tiger. But with that said, whilst out on a ride and stopping for a cup of coffee, I’ve never owned a bike that I enjoy staring at so much as I do with the Bobber.

Finally, I do have to say I personally disagree with comments made in relation to the Bobber being limited to City use. I visit London a reasonable amount on my Bobber Black and find it not to be it’s natural and best suited environment. It’s far too over powered to enjoy in a city. But I will say that it’s a bike that’s good to be seen on, as I find it receives a lot of thumbs up and appreciating nods from people. Ultimately, for me they come alive on country B roads with sweeping bends. Throw-in the odd car to pass here and there in order to fully appreciate just how much overtaking
grunt they have and it makes for a great means of spending the day!
ArmchairHero likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page