Hi from Virginia, USA - rain capital of the universe - Triumph Bobber Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Post Hi from Virginia, USA - rain capital of the universe

I've been riding bikes of all kinds for 35 years - bikes I've owed range from a series of dirt bikes (Yamaha/Suzuki), to standards (VStrom & Aprilia Pegaso), street (Ninja 650R, my least favorite), and my current touring bike, a modified bagger (HD Road King with full bags and fairing - which I've owned since 2003 and will never sell, as it's my "club touring" bike).

My "Unicorn" has always been some sort of bobber. I've always drooled over the old school, chopped and stripped bikes, but not the faddish "custom" choppers from the now gone TV shows like OCC and Jesse James. I walked into a fairly new dealership that opened near me to check out the Indian Scouts. The dealership also sold: Indian, BMW, Royal Enfield, BMW and Triumph.

There was some 20+ Triumphs on the floor, with several Bonneville Bobbers sporting cafe & standard handlebar configurations for me to try. I instantly fell in love with the Bobber, and while talking with the sales associate, was alerted that there were a couple used Bobbers in the previously owned section if I was interested - as one that had just came back had the mini-ape bars. My Harley has mini-apes, so I was very interested, and we walked over to take a look.

OMG... when I sat on it, it was perfect! What were the odds that an "Ironstone" 2017 with 650 miles on the odometer and not a dent, flaw, or scratch anywhere would be waiting on me? We wheeled it outside and I took a nice ride around the neighborhood. Not only was the Triumph gorgeous, but it handled unlike anything I was expecting. It was slung low, which shaved off 100 lbs (7+ stones for my euro friends). The engine was relatively smooth compared to my 95ci HD - and had gobs of quiet power and torque.

When I returned, I was sold, but being who I am, I put down a deposit and took some time on the interwebz devouring everything I could learn over lunch at a nearby cafe. I came back and sealed the deal.

A couple of quick stats about the bike - the previous owner was a motorcycle aficionado, who was a regular at the shop. He took ill and just before passing away, off-loaded his bikes. I say this because I usually live with a bike for a bit before making a list of things to change, so as to make it "mine". The owner had already added:

Tank pads - obviously good for preventing the knees from blemishing the paint.
Fox rear shock - I have not ridden a Bobber with the stock rear shock, but I understand this was a MAJOR upgrade. I've seen some folks comment that it stabilizes the bike, absorbs jolts better, and improves handling in fast turns. I can wholeheartedly confirm this is the truth, and may be why the bike handles so well in my humble opinion.

Triumph side mount leather bag - I keep a cheap "shoulder sling bag" in it. I've already used it multiple times to carry home items that would not fit in the tiny leather bag. This is a great "nice to have".
Triumph mini-apes, risers. I'm not sure, bit I would think you would need new wires and cables for the extra height. If so, it was already installed.
My one purchase so far - the Dart fly-screen. It's not a wind blocking "shield", but works great to deflect the vast majority of the wind off the belly/chest, providing a "dead space" of air. It does not create turbulence to the shoulders or head. For the price, it was a very good buy.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new_bobber1.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	28077  
ysoslo and 1960Bobber like this.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 07:30 PM

Welcome to the party.

So far behind , I think I'm in first place.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 09:38 PM

Garage
Great find. And with mods you would have probably bought yourself. Sweet. Is the Dart flyscreen, the regular one or the Piranha? Clear, dark or black?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrman View Post
Great find. And with mods you would have probably bought yourself. Sweet. Is the Dart flyscreen, the regular one or the Piranha? Clear, dark or black?

I purchased the regular one in dark. I wasn't too sure about the Piranha.

I'm currently researching other mods for later. Slip-on pipes come to mind. I like the Sleepers. And... replacing the lights.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 10:55 PM
Roy

Garage
Welcome David,

A really splendid looking bike, well done. Thanks for sharing the photo, we love pics here.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 11:25 PM

Garage
Great looking bike, and welcome to the site! The Bobber with high bars is the first big bike I've ever owned. After hearing so many rave reviews, I'm worried that I'll never find a bike as amazing as this one.

Each one matters.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 02:33 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats & welcome to the forum.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 01:40 PM

Welcome to the forum and bobber ownership.

Love mine.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 04:39 PM

Motorcycles of Dulles..? I bought mine there too, from Philip, who is a mensch...
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome, and I bought mine from MOD as well. Mine was the 1st one they sold..... and yes, our spring and summer has been insanely raining, very little riding thus far.

I'm out in the Warrenton area if you know where that is....

Cheers!!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page