New Bobber Owner - Triumph Bobber Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

New Bobber Owner

Hi Folks - I bought my Bobber this morning after working my way through a shortlist of possible suspects - including the T120 and Street Scrambler. It's a red & silver model completely as stock at the moment. Browsing on here as a visitor helped as clearly you seem to like the bike, not that there's any bias of course.

I have a 2006 Honda CBF500 as well which is my all weather workhorse.

Looking forward to it arriving late next week, the day before our daughter's wedding so it probably won't get ridden for a couple of days

I'm in Chester down by the river (where quite a few bikers meet up at the weekends), snag is I work Sundays 'cos I'm the local vicar so that kind of scuppers joining weekend ride outs.
Psychopasta and lordblobo like this.
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:48 PM

Garage
Congrats and welcome to the group... We're normally pretty harmless!

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:49 PM

Welcome. Enjoy the new bike. I too was debating T120 , and Speedmaster when I settled on the Bobber. No regrets.

My wife has a 2014 CB500X we got her new in 2015 and she has racked up 40,000 worry free miles on it so far. Solid bikes from Honda.
Psychopasta likes this.

So far behind , I think I'm in first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:59 PM
Roy

Garage
Congrats on your new bike and welcome to the forum.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats & welcome.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
Hi Folks - I bought my Bobber this morning after working my way through a shortlist of possible suspects - including the T120 and Street Scrambler. It's a red & silver model completely as stock at the moment. Browsing on here as a visitor helped as clearly you seem to like the bike, not that there's any bias of course.

I have a 2006 Honda CBF500 as well which is my all weather workhorse.

Looking forward to it arriving late next week, the day before our daughter's wedding so it probably won't get ridden for a couple of days

I'm in Chester down by the river (where quite a few bikers meet up at the weekends), snag is I work Sundays 'cos I'm the local vicar so that kind of scuppers joining weekend ride outs.
Welcome to the forum, Vicar! I'm a retired Army Chaplain so I don't have to work every Sunday. This Sunday our pastor is taking the week off so I will be filling in for her. (That's not a problem because it will be too hot to ride anyway. )

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 05:42 PM

Welcome Taurus and enjoy your new toy and of course your daughter's wedding.

Chico
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 05:50 PM

Congrats on both accounts!
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 11:55 PM

Garage
Welcome to the site! Congratulations on your new purchase, and on your daughters upcoming nuptials. If you care to elaborate, I'm curious as to what swayed you toward the Bobber vs the other bikes you were considering. Did it take a test ride to decide or was it something else? Also, do you have any changes to the bike planned yet?

Each one matters.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the welcome folks. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
Welcome to the forum, Vicar! I'm a retired Army Chaplain so I don't have to work every Sunday. This Sunday our pastor is taking the week off so I will be filling in for her. (That's not a problem because it will be too hot to ride anyway. )
Don't have to work every Sunday! 'Tis a harsh thing to say to a poor hardworking parson - even if I am currently on sabbatical leave for 3 months!

When I was vicar of a parish in Warrington RAF Burtonwood was within my patch and I was appointed as chaplain to the US Army 47th Area Support Group. They paid me in US dollars which the good old Church of England then took off me again. But since my 'pay' was half in dollars and half sterling our income tax people said I was most awkward clergyman in the whole of the UK. Sadly the unit was moved and then I think discombobulated after the Gulf War.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysoslo View Post
Welcome to the site! Congratulations on your new purchase, and on your daughters upcoming nuptials. If you care to elaborate, I'm curious as to what swayed you toward the Bobber vs the other bikes you were considering. Did it take a test ride to decide or was it something else? Also, do you have any changes to the bike planned yet?
My longlist was too numerous to mention. The I got it down to the shortlist of the Street Scrambler, T120, Bobber and just for lunacy the Ducati Scrambler. The Ducati was out as soon as I sat on it. Horrible seat and when I checked a couple of used ones clear signs that small bits and pieces weren't holding up too well. I always look at unions and hidden bolts to see if they are showing signs of corrosion.

The T120 felt heavy and a bit lardy (yes I know the Bobber is heavier but it doesn't feel it) and at the end of the day I kind of felt it was trying to be something that wasn't quite me. Perhaps it was just a tad too sensible.

The Street Scrambler I liked even though I couldn't figure out why I liked it so much. It felt right and it handled right. But maybe it just wasn't different enough. The ride might have been somewhere between the Bobber and my more sensible daily ride. If I had had to have just one bike it would have been the Street Scrambler. But I am fortunate enough to be able to have two bikes, a working bike and a fun bike.

So the Bobber - well I sat on it. And I got off and looked down at it, surely it can't look like that and be so comfortable! So I sat on it again, and I chuckled to myself (by which stage the people in the dealership were getting a bit anxious). Then I gave it a bounce. And I booked a test ride. The bloke said - if you test ride that you'll come back with a grin on your face - and he was right.

The noise - oh, the noise. I live in a city centre and filtering through traffic is a daily chore. My Honda is great at squeezing through gaps but it's not got a brilliant soundtrack. The Bobber just carves a path through traffic. When I got stuck I just gave it a gentle blip and traffic parted like the Red Sea. It is a delight to trundle past and see the look on their faces when they realise they've just made way for a vicar on a bike.

I have no major changes planned at this stage - not least because I am now skint. However, wearing my Capt Sensible hat I'll probably install some bobbins for the paddock stands (I have a thing about chain maintenance and cleaning) and I am eyeing up a Dart flyscreen. Maybe Bobbers aren't meant to wear flyscreens but each to their own and I like them. I prefer to protect the instrument cluster from the worst of our lovely British weather - ir rain, rain and more rain. And then snow. My parents live about 40 miles away up a motorway so I spend a fair bit of time at motorway speeds. The Bobber was surprisingly happy at a steady 70mph but anything that makes cruising at speed less prone to collecting a million dead bugs has to be good. I think when I've saved up some pennies I might look at the back end as I'm not 100% sold on how it looks as standard - but I haven't seen anything that catches my eye and side mounted plates aren't allowed in the UK. Plod tends to take an interest in anything that suggests you've been naughty.
Psychopasta likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page