New member from Germany - Triumph Bobber Forum
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

New member from Germany

Hi there,

and greetings from Bavaria, where all of the good beer comes from ;-)

For my bike history, I of course started riding 50cc bikes (as it was usual here) at a rather early age, off main roads at that time :-)

Bought a Simson SR50C (50cc) that still had papers from the German Democratic Republic when I was 16, back in 1993 (loooong time ago). Top speed in the papers was 60 km/h on those things while in reality they did 70-75, and all the "Western" bikes were only legal for 50 km/h and didn't go any faster. I still have it today, my father in law - who does not have a motorbike license but can ride the 50cc with his car license - is using it daily.

Then went for a brand new Honda VT600C Shadow once I turned 18 in 1995, borrowed some money from my parents and spent years doing student and vacation jobs to pay for it. Fell in love with Triumph and specifically the Speed Triple in 1999, rented one for a day but could not afford one.

Kept dreaming of a Speed Triple while riding my Honda until I finished university and started earning money - after that it did not even take six months for me to order a brand new Speed Triple.
955i (595N), pic attached. Unfortunately my job was rather demanding, customer visits with dress code and stuff that prevented me from riding it to work. Then came marriage, family, a rather bad bike accident that I magically survived with just a badly bruised shoulder but that should have killed me under normal circumstances. So when moving to a different house without garage, I sold my beloved Speed Triple in 2009 after only putting 5500 km on it...
...and did not ride for eight years :-o

In 2017 I had to fix the 50cc scooter for my father in law and went for a test ride, my son falling in love riding as passenger, and my wife approving to buy a "slow" bike again. "As long as you don't get another Speed Triple!"
Not wasting any time and allowing her to change her mind, I went for a 1992 Kawasaki Zephyr 550, classic naked bike, inexpensive, very low mileage. Turned out more expensive in the end since I had to do a complete overhaul of the carburetors, fixed a couple of things like fuel gauge and sidestand switch. And while at it, I added a new chain, different fork springs, steel flex brake lines, chain oiler. It's a nice ride now, but a bit too small for me.

I had been looking at Triumph and the Bonneville series ever since last year and a few weeks ago made the decision to test ride a Speedmaster, to see if it could be my next bike at some point. This was when my Kawasaki drove me crazy because I had to rip out the carburetors again because the aftermarket needle valves started to fail one after the other. So I called the local Triumph dealer and they offered me to test ride both the Speedmaster and Bobber Black for an hour each. I rode the Bobber Black first and liked it, though I was not overwhelmed - still focusing on the Speedmaster at that point. Rode the Speedmaster afterwards and reality kicked in after a few minutes: My tailbone/spine reminded me why I got rid of my Honda Shadow, and even though I was going the same curvy road at approximately the same speed as with the Bobber before, I didn't really like the handling. Too indirect. After 30 minutes, my son who was joining me on the test ride complained over intercom that his butt started to hurt. So I returned the keys, decided this is not going to be my next bike, had some more chat at the dealership - and liked the fact that at no point they tried to sell either of both bikes to me. Just asked about my experience and offered options, but did not push me for anything.
Well, turned out that just after two nights sleeping over it I decided to keep my Kawasaki for rides with my son, but was back to the Triumph dealership to buy a matte Bobber Black from their showroom. Yes, I had fallen in love, without realizing it right away. ;-)

I picked up the bike a day later, which was last Wednesday :-)

Unfortunately the weather changed quite a bit, so I've only put about 300 km on the Bobber so far, but absolutely love it. The looks of course. Torque. And especially sound of the engine. I have no idea how Triumph passed the homologation, but this bike does have sound compared to all the other muffled vacuum cleaners that drive around here, thanks to EU regulations. Well, in fact I found that the stock exhaust has a deeper note / more punch at lower RPM than the Vance and Hines EU homologated exhaust that was mounted on the Speedmaster test bike. I expect that the US spec ones sound quite different, though.

Long story, but I had fun wallowing in good memories. Looking forward to many more fun rides on my Bobber Black, and fun time here in the forum.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	25705   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0687.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	25707   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02029.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	25709   Click image for larger version

Name:	FU9A2566.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	25711  
Louie, ysoslo, Psychopasta and 3 others like this.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordblobo View Post
Hi there,

and greetings from Bavaria, where all of the good beer comes from ;-)

Tom
Good beer, good cars, good motorcycles, good schnitzel, good Federweißer

I was stationed in Germany for almost five years (Kaiserslautern, Hanau and Baumholder). I have been back many times for motorcycle rides and to do river cruises with my wife.

Half of my ancestors are German (Barnhardt) and half are English (Spencer). I have all my bases covered.

I won't drink American Beer. Only German Bier works for me.

Nice bike. Welcome to the forum!
1960Bobber and lordblobo like this.

Triumph Bobber Black
Porsche Macan Sport Edition (Black)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 09:24 AM
Roy

Garage
Welcome Tom,

And well done on a beautiful bike.

Cheerio,

Roy
lordblobo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the forum
Great first post & pics.
lordblobo likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome Tom! Great story. -Pasta
lordblobo likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 01:07 PM

Garage
Great background reading. Especially the ending with a Bobber Black. Sounds like you have great riding (and maintenance experience. Welcome to the forum and ride safe.
lordblobo likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 06:50 PM

Garage
Congratulations on your new bike, and welcome to the site! Any changes planned for your new Black?

Each one matters.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordblobo View Post
Hi there,

and greetings from Bavaria,
Tom
Welcome! An interesting spread of bikes and good story!

I'll be in Wiesbaden in a couple weeks!

Cheers!!!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:14 AM

Garage
Willkommen im Forum! Mit dem Moped hast du auf jeden Fall eine gute Wahl getroffen. Grüße aus BaWü.

Doesn´t matter what you ride... just ride!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysoslo View Post
Any changes planned for your new Black?
Well... I ordered the black paddock stand pins (for ease of chain maintenance) and the gray CNC oil filler cap from my dealer, since I think the chrome one breaks the Bobber's looks.

I was thinking about installing a chain oiler but am still undecided, for looks again.

Shocks maybe. My dealer recommended the Fox shocks already, stating that they did about ten conversions recently and all the owners are absolutely happy. However I've also been looking at Wilbers, want to wait some more for user reports and then decide if and which shocks to get.

Other than that, no plans (yet). I think Triumph did an outstanding design job and I like the simplistic look of the Bobber, would not want to convert it into a more traditional Chopper or anything like that.

Tom
ysoslo and 1960Bobber like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page