Triumph Bobber Forum banner

To license plate relocate or not to license plate relocate; that is the question.

17K views 42 replies 23 participants last post by  davidrb 
#1 ·
So, I've got both the side mounted license plate kit & the rear multifunction light kit from Triumph on hand, but I keep vacillating on whether or not I'm going to install them.

I love the old school look of the rear fender as stock (with the big break light..,) but I also want to change a few things on the bike and make it a bit more "my own."

What is your opinion on the LP relocation & signal/brake light integration? Yay or Nay? Maybe I should start with the LP relocation and then decide on the signals?

#6 ·
:grin2:

I'm leaning the same way you guys are. I purchased the kits before I received the bike. Now, with the stock fender, I don't think it would look quite right with the plate on the side.

#9 ·
I think the side mount looks OK and seriously thought about it, until I recalled that I'd probably be prone to trip over it. Let those who aren't as clumsy as me enjoy 'em.

Reactions: bigbird
#11 · (Edited)
Hi Cody,

I guess the question is - do you love Americana?

If you do and come from a part of the world were you can get away with a small plate (not Germany were the plates are so big you might as well put a barn door on the side) then go for it! It’s yours make it what you want and while you’re at it for the full 'good ol’ boy' look why not go the whole HOG (sorry for the pun) and add apes, a side mounted bag, drag pipes, a statement seat, and maybe the foreword controls off the Speedmaster?

Having said that IMHO stick with the original, one of the unique features of the Bobber is the way the rear mud guard hugs the back wheel mimicking bikes from yesteryear, it’s looks awesome stock and so if it’s not broke don’t fix it! :)

#13 ·
While I have no intention of mimicking Harleys, I think the side mounted plate cleans up the look of the rear and looks great.

Saying that, if I went with whitewall tires and a different style exhaust - I would stick with the long rear fender and rear mounted plate (art deco style).

Just repeating what I said before - there are so many ways to make this bike look great and so many available combinations.
But I can understand why so many don’t like the “Harley style” side mounted plate.

I've owned two Harleys in the past and neither stuck. I ended up selling them both within 6 months of purchase. I'm def not a traditional "Harley guy." They're just not me. As I was looking at the side mount for the Triumph, my mind kept going back to my two Harleys, and it put a nasty feeling in my gut. I love "Americana," but what I consider the more classy Americana; eg my Indian.

Not that the side mount on the Trumpet would be the same, and there's def nothing wrong with preferring it, but the reason I bought my Indian and Trumpet is because of their style, class, and grace. I want bikes that are a "cut above" IMO.

Here's a shot of my fiery red head next to the biplane I just stepped out of. :grin2:

Attachments

#12 ·
While I have no intention of mimicking Harleys, I think the side mounted plate cleans up the look of the rear and looks great.

Saying that, if I went with whitewall tires and a different style exhaust - I would stick with the long rear fender and rear mounted plate (art deco style).

Just repeating what I said before - there are so many ways to make this bike look great and so many available combinations.
But I can understand why so many don’t like the “Harley style” side mounted plate.

#14 ·
It is your bike, you have to do what YOU want to make it yours; never mind what others think. They can or they have bought their own bike and can do what they want to make their bike theirs.

You asked our opinion and received it, I don't think anyone is putting you down for considering the side mount plate.

IMO, the new Indian and the new Triumph companies have each done a really good job to mimic the bikes from the original companies. I don't consider the Bobber so much a bobber style but as a representation of a 1950s Triumph.

#25 · (Edited)
IMO, the new Indian and the new Triumph companies have each done a really good job to mimic the bikes from the original companies. I don't consider the Bobber so much a bobber style but as a representation of a 1950s Triumph.
I agree, but if you like a sidemount plate do it, as Triumph say 'go your own way', I do.
Extended mudguard, hand made mount, black/silver plate (illegal) & Thrux R light.

#16 ·
I have a side mounted plate and i agree that there is no getting away from the ugly, white & blue billboard sized EU plates.
Even the small ones looks pretty atrocious on our style of modern classic bikes.
I think that the ONLY plate that actally look good are the vintage style UK black and white ones.

But i still enjoy looking at the chopped fender, despite the plate. So i try and look at it from the rear right side :wink2:

#17 ·
I'd definitely have to side mount with that sweet short fender. I just like the curve of the stock fender so much, I'm leaving where it is at the moment.

Not to hijack my own thread, but how do you like your Zard cans? Worth the $$?

Reactions: eisen77
#18 ·
Thanks Cody.

Yes, the Zards are worth every $ in my opinion.
I had the OEM and V&H (EU) before these and i have seen many new ones released since, but nothing (for me) comes close to the Zards. I am just so happy with the way they look and sound.
Far too loud without the dBkillers, but exactly right with them in.
If i remember, i posted a few vids with sound clips. A quick search should reveal under which thread they are hidden.

If not, PM me and i´ll see if i have any on hand to send to you.

#19 ·
Here in the UK the law states that the number plate needs to be above the rear tyre with a reflector underneath.
However this doesn't apply if the bike predates the regulation.
The number plate needs to be a certain size, typeface etc.

But as we all know these rules are bent to a certain extent. Number plates the size of postcards on sports bikes, side mounted plates on Harleys.

Most police have more important things to worry about so you are unlikely to get pulled BUT it does give them an excuse to pull you if you are doing something stupid.

I personally like the original rear mudguard but don't like light cluster, I think there are some third party light clusters coming out so I will change those.

#21 ·
For me I’m keeping mine looking as British as Possible with the stock mudguard and number plate albeit a black one with silver lettering!!! :-0
If I need to slow down even more or want it to look American I’ll relocate the number plate with the side mount and add mini apes maybe one day ;-)

#26 ·
License plate under seat?

I like the original look too. But I don't like the plate under the taillight assembly. I'm not sure about side-mounting the plate, either. What about mounting it under the seat? Will this interfere with the suspension travel? Is there even a lighted bracket which is made to do such a thing?

#28 ·
I probably would have left the plate as original but, when I went to a short rear fender and small LED lights, the license plate on the rear took too much attention and messed up the cleanliness of the rear. So, went with the side mount and, yes, while it’s off on the symmetry, after awhile it’s not something I notice much. Or, I’ve just gotten used to it. But, I sure love the rear end now.

#37 ·
Something sorta like this. Maybe a bracket that mounts to the seat mount, but with enough of an angle as to allow rear movement clearance, like the second pic.

Attachments

#43 ·
That's well expressed actually. Triumph did a great job of designing a sleek, tire hugging fender, and I want to remove all those things that detract from it. Just for me, the obvious choice was to move the plate to the side in preparation for a better "tail tidy" solution (like Motone if it comes out).

But as you point out, it is a nod to the 60's and 70's counterculture. In the US, putting the plates on the side was done on all brands of bobbed bikes, not just HD. My uncle had a BSA chopper in the 70's that had a side plate. He wasn't trying to be make an HD out of it, it was just trend.

It helps that in the US, we have very small plates unlike our European brethren, so for me it looks very proportional to the bike. In the state of Virginia, our law does not explicitly forbid side mounted plates turned 90 degrees sideways, it only states that the plate must be on the rear of the bike, lit, and readable (no obstruction, like a towing ball mount). Ergo according to VA lawyers, that which is not expressly forbidden by law, is technically allowed.

I just had my Bobber inspected at my inspection station and it was passed without comment.

And more to your point about eff you... if you like it, it made my day. If you don't like it, it made my day. >:)

Reactions: Guffer
#42 ·
I think I'd have considered the side-mount more seriously if I could mount the plate vertically. Where I live, the plate has to be horizontal. Cops apparently can't read license plates without tilting their head and causing a safety issue while driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.