Triumph Bobber Forum banner

16” apes finally

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Brandon Miller 
#1 ·
Took me a bit to get around to this mod, but finally done. Took quit a bit of tweaking since they don’t make 16” bars for this bike.

1. Needed to drill holes for the little pins that are in the risers
2. Had to drill a hole on the throttle side since there’s a little pin on the throttle body
3. Had to have a new brake line made. That was an adventure since the factory brake line is pretty odd
4. Had a new clutch cable made
5. The length of the bar where the throttle goes is about 2” shorter than the mini apes so I had to put throttle all the way down at end of bars. Now I’m on a hunt for bar end mirrors that will fit the bar end adapters I bought. Sadly I can’t use the factory mirrors. The diameter is too large. 1 1/4” and they have a sleeve to go in 1” bars. Most bar ends are 7/8”.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
If you’ve had the gas tank off you can see the front brake line. It’s not banjo fittings at both ends. The end under the tank is rigid tubing they bent and than connected to hydraulic hose. The bolt is a 10m x 1.25. I took the brake line to about 6 different places. One place has been in business for 70 years and none could duplicate the line. I finally found a place that does hydraulic hoses and brake lines only. He was able to cut the hose right above the rigid tube and add a hydraulic coupling and than add a longer hose and new banjo fitting. I covered the coupling with some heat shrink. Came out clean. Ideally if you can swap out all your brake lines with braided that would work, but some of the connections are odd. Sadly this isn’t a typical Harley bike where you can get brake lines anywhere. Every mod on this bike that’s not a triumph mod takes some work.

#9 ·
I've never been a fan of ape hangers, mostly down to my riding style, however I do appreciate why others do...so much so that I bit the bullet!
So as not to be too extravagant on my first experience, I've gone for the mini apes! :smile2:

Attachments

#10 ·
More progress on bars. Ran clutch side wires in bars. Lot of work, but cleans it up nice. Throttle side has a lot more wires. Should be fun.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.