Project BLACKOUT - Triumph Bobber Forum
 80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Cool Project BLACKOUT

I'm coming up on a year of ownership of my Bobber and right from the start one of my main projects was to 'blackout' the bike as much as possible. This has sometimes taken a back seat to other projects but as and when time allows I keep coming back to it. One think I'm realizing nearly a year in is that this is a much bigger project than I first thought and as I keep finding things to change, it's clear I'm a long way of finishing.

So with that in mind (and before too much more time passes) I thought I would create a dedicated thread for this side project of my main build.

Starting at the beginning let's go back over my Blackout projects I have completed thus. It may take me a few posts to catch up to where I am today, so I beg your forgiveness and indulgence.

For this first post let me just start at the beginning and the day I picked up my???? You guessed it, my Bobber BLACK..! 18th June 2018.

More to follow very soon.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 7.23.52 PM.png
Views:	204
Size:	733.5 KB
ID:	34499  

Last edited by Roy; 06-16-2019 at 10:27 PM.
post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:42 PM

Great project, Roy. Black-out/murdered is not the look I liked on any of my customs but there is a huge following. Please don't make the mistake that many do and paint most parts. Spend the money on black chrome or powder coat where applicable. Otherwise, your once beautiful scooter will look like crap. Looking forward to your build.
ysoslo and Roy like this.

2018 Bobber in Morello Red
post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Thanks for that mate.

Yes you are totally correct, one has to do this thoughtfully. To that end I have done some quality bits and gone the powder coat route where appropriate. I think blacking out a bike can be really interesting especially when one takes into account different textures and matt versus gloss etc.

The start of this will be retrospective as I'm a year in, so I'm a long way down the road with this project, so the first few posts will be me bringing this thread up to day with stuff already done.

Cheers,

Roy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
So this is from the first week of ownership. And the first thing I did was not add anything but 'remove' those darn orange reflectors. Arrows show where they were.

The sharp eyes amongst you will note the fenders and side panels are matt. I ordered gloss so this was a mistake and went back to the dealer a couple of weeks later for replacement.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 8.00.44 PM.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	34501  
post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
One of the first jobs I did was swap out some of the alloy for some nice Triumph accessories.

These three pieces were an easy swap to ease me into this project and I think made a big improvement for not much outlay in money or effort.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	before.png
Views:	170
Size:	942.8 KB
ID:	34503   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.png
Views:	180
Size:	790.6 KB
ID:	34505  
jerrman and haydnd like this.
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Mirrors

Back in September of 2018 I moved my attention to the mirrors.

The stock bar-end round mirrors were not to my liking at all. For one thing they just stuck out too far for my lighting. But from a blackout perspective they had that unsightly round allow part to the front.

A quick search and I found some splendid all black example originally for the Speedmaster which were a perfect fit.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 11.43.02 AM.png
Views:	133
Size:	929.6 KB
ID:	34539  
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:34 PM

Garage
As I’m waiting for the final product.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6EF3FF61-4C4E-481E-80D3-7A79293B74F9.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	34543  
Roy likes this.

‘18 Bobber matt Black
‘12 Kawasaki Z1000

Last edited by Jalaan; 06-17-2019 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Edit
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Thanks Jalaan,

You may be waiting a long time. I'm a year into the build and not slowing down yet... But I am hopeful that by the end of this summer my Bobber will be close to what I'm looking for (he say's not believing a word...).

Cheerio,

Roy
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Roy

Garage
Perhaps one of the more important modifications I completed late in 2018 was to have a Speedmaster tank and headlight installed. Now you could be forgiven for thinking that this was not part of my 'blackout' plan, as the stock items are mostly black and in contrast the replacement Speedmaster pair contained chrome and white accents. This alone would seem to fly in the face of my blackout project. However that is not entirely the whole story, so perhaps some explanation is in order.

One of my reasons for blacking out the bike is that it provided a clean contrast for the accents and as such would made any such accents 'pop'. Hopefully this would eventually give the bike a really clean and crisp look, the overall black of the bike providing a neutral backdrop or canvass for the accent pieces to shine (excuse the pun).

The small area of white on the Speedmaster tank badge was also a thoughtful addition as it was my longterm goal (now completed) to run white-wall tires. The tires marrying up with the tank badge and presenting an overall dramatic contrast to the black of the bike.

So the choice of the Speedmaster tank and headlight, although not obvious did indeed play a part in my blackout project.

Cheerio,

Roy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 12.05.22 PM.png
Views:	139
Size:	748.0 KB
ID:	34545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 12.03.06 PM.png
Views:	134
Size:	856.7 KB
ID:	34547  
unparalleledltwin likes this.

Last edited by Roy; 06-17-2019 at 07:00 PM.
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 07:19 PM

I really like the look of the SM tank. Your pictures really highlight the more aggressive/hunched over look of the larger tank.
Roy likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page