Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Sprung seat - so glad I did this.

13K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  NorEaster 
#1 ·
I'm won over after trialling the bike for a long ride over a combination of road surfaces. Yep, this works for me.:grin2:

No more spine jarring jolts when the shock bottoms out with just enough travel and damping to make this so much more a pleasant experience. Big improvement in comfort, though I could've picked a different seat with maybe a gel cell insert.

I'm no longer considering a Fox shock upgrade.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Do you get “launched” over bumps? Hang on baby!!��
Not all mate. I used to commute to work on an original 1948 rigid frame BSA with spring seat back in the late 60's. Vast improvement on that experience..

Spring seat with the combination of the Bobber cantilever rear end just smooooooths things out!!!!

#4 ·
Hi Retro Rocket 48

Looks great my friend, well done indeed...:grin2:

Fitting a sprung seat has always been on my to-do list. I'm working on the project now but it may take a little while as I'm doing something a little different and don't know if it will work out yet but fingers crossed.

Will of course update as and when the project is finished.

Looking good RR, let's see a pic of the whole bike with this set up..?

Cheerio,

Roy

#10 ·
Hi Retro Rocket 48

Looks great my friend, well done indeed...:grin2:

Fitting a sprung seat has always been on my to-do list. I'm working on the project now but it may take a little while as I'm doing something a little different and don't know if it will work out yet but fingers crossed.

Will of course update as and when the project is finished.

Looking good RR, let's see a pic of the whole bike with this set up..?

Cheerio,

Roy

Posted before, but another one....enjoy.

Attachments

#9 ·
The setup required a bit of mechanical ingenuity and thought for the seat post to make it a full floater. Used the original hardware (bolts etc ) but had the left side frame hole reamed out and inset stepped shoulder bush ( made up by a biker mate who has a machine shop) so you can tension up the original bolts to transform pivot point into a hinged floater. Omitting the very front bolt altogether of course is the first step in this change.

#11 ·
IMO i think the sprung seat looks fantastic! I was never a big fan of the floating seat look and i think the springs just complete the old school look of a Bobber. Great job Rocket! i look forward to doing the same to my bike. A couple questions is that the stock seat pan? and did you modify the seat mount to move up and down or just remove the top bolt? Now i just have to figure out how to get those springs to Thailand!!

#12 · (Edited)
IMO A couple questions is that the stock seat pan? and did you modify the seat mount to move up and down or just remove the top bolt? Now i just have to figure out how to get those springs to Thailand!!

Seat is full custom made, not using Triumph seat pan.

If you wish to use the same springs, try these guys.
BSA C10 & C11 seat springs5-1/2 inch

I notice there are not in stock, however there are more listed on Ebay and elsewhere. Had purchased other springs, made in India and chrome was more like satin finish, not plated on the inside of the coils. Absolute sh:frown2:t. These, whilst not what you might term restoration grade plating are nonetheless nice, and look good.

Using the Bobber frame mounting points behind the side-covers for the springs (almost a glove fit), will require your seat builder to space the rear studs @ 215mm apart. I stuffed up my measurements, and should've requested them to place them about 15mm forward also!. This will depend on where you wish to position your seat for your normal riding posture. I made sure the bike was on level ground and used a spirit level to ensure the springs were vertical. Unfortunately because of my stupid error I had to make up a flat plate forward extension to secure the springs. My seat is now fixed in position, I can no longer slide it back or forward.

Seat pivot requires a bit of tooling around to make it work . Back pedal a couple of posts here on this thread for an explanation on what I did to float the seat. These guys make an attractive seat hinge, that will still have to altered to suit. https://www.biltwellinc.com/collections/seat-hinges/products/stainless-steel-seat-hinge-polished

#14 · (Edited)
NorEaster. Sorry, looks like the Ebay link above is broken, I can see it here but there seems to be a problem with copy/paste URL as they've recently revamped their digital store front. Anyhow, here's their homepage, http://www.trojanclassics.com/. They are Australian, based in Sydney here. Disregard the prices on their add-to-cart where everything is listed at $1,000 Get a quote first.

I tried three times to procure a decent set of coil springs on-line. One set came from the UK, another out of Holland, all came from India and the plating was absolute crap. These look also to be Indian made too but obviously from a more reputable manufacturer. The plating and finish is quite good.

To confirm, my springs are the 6-5/8" overall length part which worked out ideally with my Alex LeatherCraft seat. Make sure you measure up before ordering, so drop them an enquiry about other sizes.

Attachments

#16 ·
There's some great and ingenious ideas being shared here.

I raked my brains all winter attempting to work out how I could made my seat with with the springs being attached to the upper/inner part of the frame and never was able to mate it work the way I wished.

Part of the problem (for me) was that the size of my seat and how far I had it set back would alway mean the springs would be angled and not vertical, so I just couldn't make it work for my preference.

Hence I ended up just bitting the bullet and going for a hard attachment to the swingarm, not the easiest of options but I'm pleased now it's done. For me it worked out great.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.