Eisen´s High (Ape) Bar thread - Triumph Bobber Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Eisen´s High (Ape) Bar thread

High Bars installed!
Using the Wunderkind risers and not the accessory risers with the pin.
**I am really not sure where the pin was supposed to go anyway as there were NO holes in either of my bars (i have 2 sets). Would anyone care to elaborate, please? Or am i missing something??

Also, although the bars are fixed tight in the clamp and they won´t move anywhere, the risers have some rocking motion under braking and to some extent under acceleration. But much more pronounced under braking.

Apart from that, the bars feel great for my back and neck. I had a very enjoyable & relaxed ride on the way home.
I will do a longer ride on Sunday as it is about to start raining here (just for a few hours, then the sun will be back out )

My legs feel quite natural with the OEM pegs. I am still debating whether forwards are in my future...

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
High Bars installed!
Using the Wunderkind risers and not the accessory risers with the pin.
**I am really not sure where the pin was supposed to go anyway as there were NO holes in either of my bars (i have 2 sets). Would anyone care to elaborate, please? Or am i missing something??

Also, although the bars are fixed tight in the clamp and they won´t move anywhere, the risers have some rocking motion under braking and to some extent under acceleration. But much more pronounced under braking.

Apart from that, the bars feel great for my back and neck. I had a very enjoyable & relaxed ride on the way home.
I will do a longer ride on Sunday as it is about to start raining here (just for a few hours, then the sun will be back out )

My legs feel quite natural with the OEM pegs. I am still debating whether forwards are in my future...

Looks Awesome! Are they 12 inch rise? Did you install them yourself?

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoItsIsaac View Post
Looks Awesome! Are they 12 inch rise? Did you install them yourself?
Thank you
Not sure how many inches, but it’s the Triumph accessory High Bar (plus brake/clutch extension kit).
They only do one size but I’m using them in conjunction with Wunderkind risers, so the bars sit higher than they would on the OEM ones.
Hence the rocking motion and movement I’m getting, I believe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:18 PM

Eisen, did you pick the angle of the bars? it appears from the pic that your arms are straight and elbows locked. You might want to consider pulling the bars back a tad. Locked elbows aren't as comfortable nor are the arms as maneuverable as a slight bend.

Chico
Louie likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico View Post
Eisen, did you pick the angle of the bars? it appears from the pic that your arms are straight and elbows locked. You might want to consider pulling the bars back a tad. Locked elbows aren't as comfortable nor are the arms as maneuverable as a slight bend.

Chico
Hi Chico.
Yes, I picked the angle; slight bend in my arms, so they aren’t locked & are in a relaxed (but not too relaxed) position.
That picture was taken at about 75mph (120kph), so perhaps the wind was pushing me back a bit and so it looked like my arm was locked in position.
It’s my first ever set of apes, so still getting used to the sensations and positioning.
I may play around with the position as the bar isn’t pinned in place.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:33 PM

Garage
75mph with your hand off the grip? Shame on you! 😱🤪🤔😬

Riding Free
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Perhaps the flex in the risers emanate from the rubber bushings? They are mushy as fcuk!
It seems a lot of Harley owners with apes suffer from the same issue and many THESE to solve the flex problem.
Shame these aren’t made for the Bobber or I would try a set.

I could be completely wrong of course, but I checked both the upper clamps and underside of the risers - and everything is torqued to spec. So that leaves the rubber bushings.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Here is my second bar.
Like the first, it has NO holes for the pins to be inserted...

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Just bringing this thread back to life as the awful “play” in my risers issue was solved.
I am now using the stronger riser bushings supplied with the high bar kit in conjunction with the OEM risers (instead of my Wunderkind risers).
The Triumph mechanic didn’t use those bushings when he installed the high bar kit as he thought the Wunderkind risers already had upgraded bushings. Anyway, no harm done.

I am NOT sure if the new Triumph bushings would have solved the excessive play if used with the Wunderkind risers, but that’s of no interest to me anymore as the height is just right for with the OEM risers. The setup remains “unpinned” as the high bar did not come with any holes.

Everything is rock solid and really, really comfortable!

Shame I didn’t install the high bar sooner as it has made the ride so much more comfortable for me.
Roy likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:03 PM

Eisen, what mirrors did you installed please? Like them on high bars.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page