Triumph Bobber to Speedmaster Tank Swap - Triumph Bobber Forum
 36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Hi guys. I hope everyone is doing well. I just wanted to let you all know that when I took my Bobber in today to get some mods done, I received confirmation that the Speedmaster tank is a plug and play for the Bobber. The technician who actually did the work is out today so I will touch base with him in the next day or so. He has already done this for another customer. He said that the only thing that needed to be done was a minor adjustment with the handlebars. The only thing I am not sure of at the moment is that if the fuel pump from the Speedmaster tank is needed or if the one from the Bobber can be used. As soon as I speak to him directly and confirm exactly what needs to be done, if anything, I will let you guys know. And of course, if I do proceed to go forward with this, I will post pics as well.
eisen77, ysoslo and Roy like this.
post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 04:41 PM
Roy

Garage
Hi Christopher,

Good luck with this project and looking forward to any updates.

Cheerio,

Roy
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 06:44 PM

We bought one of each (me and a buddy). First thing I confirmed while taking them apart was the tank swap. Now it's just a matter of waiting for them to be available. I'm waiting for something from the scratch and dent section.

So far behind , I think I'm in first place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 08:02 PM

Garage
Good luck with the project. Someone on the forum did something similar with a different Triumph Bonneville tank and I thought it looked great. Looking forward to seeing yours.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Knight View Post
Hi guys. I hope everyone is doing well. I just wanted to let you all know that when I took my Bobber in today to get some mods done, I received confirmation that the Speedmaster tank is a plug and play for the Bobber. The technician who actually did the work is out today so I will touch base with him in the next day or so. He has already done this for another customer. He said that the only thing that needed to be done was a minor adjustment with the handlebars. The only thing I am not sure of at the moment is that if the fuel pump from the Speedmaster tank is needed or if the one from the Bobber can be used. As soon as I speak to him directly and confirm exactly what needs to be done, if anything, I will let you guys know. And of course, if I do proceed to go forward with this, I will post pics as well.
This is correct. Both the 2018 Speedmaster and the Bobber share the same Frame. I know of a Mechanic who is painting a Speedmaster Tank at the moment and will be installing it on his Bobber. My Bobber will be getting a modified T100 Tank.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 01:02 AM

Garage
3.2 gallons vs 2.4 on the Bobber sounds great! Waiting to see pics to decide if it screws up the proportions or not. Please keep us posted. Thanks

Each one matters.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 01:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysoslo View Post
3.2 gallons vs 2.4 on the Bobber sounds great! Waiting to see pics to decide if it screws up the proportions or not. Please keep us posted. Thanks
You guys need to think in proper big gallons, not puny US ones...

Speedmaster tank is 2.662 IMPERIAL Gallons
Forjox, GlynMo, motosickle and 1 others like this.

Larry

Essex UK

2018 Bonnie Speedmaster Jet Black with Highway pack (less bags) and rider footboards
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Well guys, I purchased a used 2018 Bonneville Speedmaster tank today off of eBay. It was advertised as being in excellent condition. When I get it, I will have it custom painted to match my stock tank, and then I will install it. Question though... I live in the USA. Los Angeles CA to be exact. Does anyone here know of any reasonably priced painters that can replicate my original tank color in the cranberry red and frozen silver two tone?
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 02:51 AM

With all respect, It doesn't really matters if they are US or Imperial gallons.
What is important is that it is an upgrade, and how does the SM tank fits and look mounted on a Bobber.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzzilazz View Post
You guys need to think in proper big gallons, not puny US ones...

Speedmaster tank is 2.662 IMPERIAL Gallons
motosickle likes this.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Well guys, I have great news. I have reconnected with a buddy of mine who lives in Iowa, USA. He did some custom paint work for me in the past and it was amazing. I will try and dig up pics to post later. As soon as I get the Speedmaster tank I will ship it out to him. I will be having him paint it almost exactly the same as my stock Bobber tank in the cranberry red and frozen silver. I was thinking of doing something different, but I really like that combination.
eisen77, Big Bear and Roy like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page