Triumph Bobber Forum banner

..new bike....new helmet....

36K views 102 replies 38 participants last post by  djdannygunz 
#1 ·
Had been shopping around for a new helmet....it's harder to find a helmet than pick a bike.....

Ordered this today......Nolan N21....black...

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I suffer from the safety, comfort, price, and style dilemma. Full face masks make me feel suffocated. I don't have a long neck either, so from past experience with some full face helmets it affects my range of motion transferring to visibility out of the helmet.

I get that 3/4 are not as safe....that's the dilemma...I want safety, but also want it to be comfortable. I considered modular, but both in modular and full face had a hard time finding something that didn't look like a sci-fy space helmet or that didn't feel restricting in some way.

#35 ·
the biltwell full-face ****** helmets have a nice retro look. i recently got one and fell in love with it. soon afterwards i bought another one as well (different color scheme/pattern) for variety. they're not that pricey, very comfy and lightweight and the cheek pads and top liner are also removable/washable. only thing that's a little iffy is the shield hinge mechanism - but that's a small trade-off to keep that whole retro vibe.

Attachments

#5 ·
yeah, that's the style dilemma I mentioend..haha...

Ultimately, safety is of the highest concern, but if I am not comfortable in the helmet and don't feel like I have the fill range of view, then that in itself is a safety issue....or maybe just trying to talk myself into accepting the more comfortable helmet.....

The N21 Duo Visor was sold out in the solid colors everywhere. Revzilla just got some back in stock. the black or silver. Was going to go silver....but changed to black at the last minute....I plan on adding some desecrate reflective stickers/tape.

#39 ·
yeah, that's the style dilemma I mentioend..haha...

Ultimately, safety is of the highest concern, but if I am not comfortable in the helmet and don't feel like I have the fill range of view, then that in itself is a safety issue....or maybe just trying to talk myself into accepting the more comfortable helmet.....
Couldn't agree more, if you're distracted by an uncomfortable helmet or feel that your helmet restricts your vision, you're more likely to have the off in the first place. I wore a Schuberth J1 but it never really suited the shape of my head, it felt tight but would still move on my head at speed. I do like the removable chin bar though.

As it was about 5 years old when I bought my Bobber, I took the opportunity to replace it, with the helmet in the second image, a carbon fibre Premier. It's a quality bit of kit, very light and a perfect fit. OK, it's not total protection, but the main reason for buying a Bobber over, say, a Bonnie, is the style which, to my eyes, is spoilt if the rider is wearing a full face helmet. Image over safety, daft I know, but there you go!

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
ooohhh...the helmet dilemma!! I had a hard time choosing too!!! Same goes for jackets :nerd:

The Nolan should be an excellent helmet & will look great with your Bobber. I hope the wind does not deflect under the visor and cause issues (especially in your eyes).

I have one full face retro for the Bobber and a few 3/4 helmets (all visor-less as i prefer to use them with goggles or bike-spec glasses).
I would agree that the feeling of freedom & sight a 3/4 gives is fantastic compared to a FF. BUT safety is also a definite concern.

Here is my favorite 3/4 - a Davida Speedster V3 (incredibly small, aerodynamic shell and lack of noise/turbulence):

and the Nexx FF (comes with clip on visor, which is a cool piece of kit...):

#8 ·
I have seen them. Pretty gruesome. Have also seen a family friends head detached from his body still inside his FF helmet, end of a gaurd rail got him back in St. Louis. (Was a kid at the time so pretty scary). Kept me off street bikes for most of my life. Riding dirt bikes (trail not motocross) for years got me wanting to street ride. Completely agree FF is safest but I think there is risk in riding period.

And could give two winks about looking good for anyone, my wife of 18 years ain't gonna get excited about my fat head in a helmet be it brain bucket or astronaut helmet.

If I was commuting and what not on a bike I would be more inclined to go FF, most of all I want to do is putt on the country roads out where I live.

And I def don't agree with not wearing a helmet at all. If I lived in a state that allowed that, I would still at the very least use a 3/4.

#9 ·
This took a dark turn. Yes, there is an inherent risk in riding motorcycles and sometimes even a full face helmet won't be able to save you, but we do our best and I would prefer to go full face even if it doesn't match the aesthetics of the bike.

The Nexx FF seems like a good compromise between safety and style, just a pain to put the visor on or pull it off when it gets too hot. There's also something like the Simpson Street Bandit which may be a good fit.

#85 ·
The Nexx´s visor is extremely easy to take off. But the question is WHERE to put it once off :grin2:
It can also be moved to let some air in when at a standstill (easier to do with 2 hands)

I've been looking at the Nexx XG100 for a while. I switch between goggles & sunglasses while riding and I'm hoping the helmet would accommodate both. Does the XG leave enough room for goggles while not using the visor? I have a couple sets of 100% Barstow goggles I normally ride with.

#11 ·
There's always going to be pros and cons for each and me myself, I prefer full face. But hey, you gotta do what suits and pleases you. Everyone's going to have a different opinion and like you said, riding in general isn't safe and could result in injury/death. Wearing a full face and the same can happen. It is what it is.

#13 ·
It's super comfortable. Not heavy. Wind noise is not bad. Tented drop down visor is excellent. Fit is true. Have a 23.5 head, large fits perfect. Only 3 items to note: my fat neck means the latch is almost fully extended. Only get a few clicks but it is very secure and comfortable. The clear face sheild touches my chin hair, and I fog the lower section of the shield up very quickly. It doesn't impact vision at all. Hopefully when it warms up that won't be a factor.

Attachments

#15 ·
It has a quick dry removable liner/padding. The this helmet has zero air holes. So it may be a hot helmet.

The face shieldis also removable should you want to rock it without. Personally I like the face shields. It's more fun with out but bugs, grit etc hitting the faces sucks.

I was behind a Ducati Diavel (spelling?) last week on a short ride. I was wearing an old Fulmer 3/4 helmet. That big fat soft rear tire of the Ducati picked up every grain of whatever and threw it out the back. Had to drop back as my bike and face was getting peppered.

#16 ·
So yesterday at a stop light, someone yelled "that's a girls helmet" from a suburban. Haha!

That was minutes after I had parked (away from other parked cars) in a lot and people in their cars parked around the bike to look at it.

Still later went to the grocery store (ice cream!) to come out to someone parked next to it saying he was waiting for me to come out to talk about the bike. Cool guy. Has a couple Triumphs of his own. Bike def grabs some attention.

The helmet apparently does to.....

#17 ·
The helmet apparently does to.....
Silly comment from a pathetic inbreed.
As a very famous man once said: We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Just shrug it off and delight in the fact that you have a stunning bike and helmet almost as nice as my NEXX :grin2:>:)
He, on the other hand will have to live with his limited IQ for the rest of his life!!!

#26 ·
I'll throw in my two pennies worth -

I went for the Roof Boxer helmet for a previous bike but I'll be happy to use it when my Bobber arrives.

I liked the fighter pilot look about it but really appreciated the flip front (I wear glasses) and the fact that you can ride with the front flipped up and the visor down (though I've never done that)

Only one issue is there's not much "chin room" so it wouldn't be suitable if you look like Jay Leno

#30 ·
I also got the a new Nolan N44, modular with its HUGE view.
It has a removeable chin piece. Helmet vents actually work -
so many lesser expensive helmets have sliding vents that don't actually vent into the helmet.

Love this helmet. I don't know the actual weight but it's not heavy.
Removing the chin guard doesn't change the road noise much, if at all (IMO), because the shield is so large and low profile.
As said by others, revzilla.com has excellent videos on helmets.
(got my N44 for $280 from jet.com)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.