My booster plug experience - Triumph Bobber Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

My booster plug experience

I have a 2018 with x pipe, V&H, and stock airbox with modified filters. The V&H map was installed by the dealer. I have always thought my bike has run fine and was a booster gadget skeptic for sure.

This past week I was caught in town traffic where I had a lot of 2nd gear creeping from light to light. I realized how hard the bike was to ride smoothly at this low speed. It was also evident in low speed roundabouts. It took a lot of clutch work to keep the bike from surging and jerking at the low speed steady throttle times. The bike loves to be fed throttle but doesnít like low speed lugging. After once again being caught in a long line of traffic due to road construction, I decided to try and make this thing better.

I read the reviews of the booster plug and the theory behind it. For the money, I decided it was worth a try and if it didnít work, I would never tell anyone I bought it. It took only a few minutes to install. I didnít cut and lengthen the sensor cable and I will not do so. The bike seems to be smoother at the lower rpms and sounds better to me on deceleration. I went though the same roundabouts where it jerked and chugged before, and now it was smooth. It does much better at low speed low throttle input.

I donít feel like this is a performance item and really donít feel any difference in power although I certainly didnít lose any. It just seems to run better at low rpm and thatís what I was after.
post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 07:06 PM

Garage
What exactly does it do and how does it work?

Sorry but Iím pretty new here
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike J Commo View Post
What exactly does it do and how does it work?

Sorry but Iím pretty new here
Read here:
https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/cms-21.html
ysoslo and Mike J Commo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 04:03 PM

I never recognized extensive surging, jerking or e popping on my Bobber (late 2017 EU version). Airbox and exhaust are stock, no X-pipe installed. When the dealer did the 1000km service, they updated the mapping and calibrated the throttle bodies. After that, the bike ran even smoother than before!

The bike runs like a charm even on constant speed with lowest revs!

As far as I know, Triumph provides different mappings for the US and Far East versions of the bike and also different for the V&H pipes first of all in order to match the different quality (octane numbers) of the available fuel! Maybe you guys have other mappings than me?

Cause the ECU is adaptive and thereby adjusts the air to fuel ratio according to the measurements of the O2 sensors, I guess the surging, jerking and popping is not assigned to the air to fuel ratio, which you might like to trick with the Booster Plug! My advice: Update the mapping and calibrate the throttle bodies!

Werner Wernersen
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

My bike does have the mapping for my region, V&H exhaust, and 91 octane. I also had the throttle bodies synced a few weeks ago.

I was skeptic that the booster plug would do anything, but I can certainly say that it makes my bike run better at low speeds such as driveways, traffic, and slow speeds/low revs in town.

By theory, I guess the booster plug is making it a tad richer. Maybe that is just what it needed.
Mike J Commo likes this.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 08:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX429 View Post
My bike does have the mapping for my region, V&H exhaust, and 91 octane. I also had the throttle bodies synced a few weeks ago.

I was skeptic that the booster plug would do anything, but I can certainly say that it makes my bike run better at low speeds such as driveways, traffic, and slow speeds/low revs in town.

By theory, I guess the booster plug is making it a tad richer. Maybe that is just what it needed.
Surely if it was running richer, more unburnt fuel would result in more pops and bangs on the over run not less as I think has been mentioned?

In any case I think the issues being experienced would be better resolved via some mapping on the dyno. Dumping extra fuel in isnít a great idea without it being mapped in precisely and can/will cause issues with the plugs and other areas of the engine.

Are the ecuís fully programmable does anyone know?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 09:09 PM

Mike, if you read in full my link to the booster plug site including the pdf download of the full report, you would have read the BP cuts out after a short time as rpm is increased and the stock ecu takes over as normal. The fuel enrichment is only at low rpm so should not be a concern. I suspect (with good advice) that the issues here are due to strict emission regs.

To subject a new bike to a dyno is your option as a remapping does not cure most of the low rpm issues.

I have read but have no experience that the ecu's are programmable but not by the end user.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 09:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribkick View Post
Mike, if you read in full my link to the booster plug site including the pdf download of the full report, you would have read the BP cuts out after a short time as rpm is increased and the stock ecu takes over as normal. The fuel enrichment is only at low rpm so should not be a concern. I suspect (with good advice) that the issues here are due to strict emission regs.

To subject a new bike to a dyno is your option as a remapping does not cure most of the low rpm issues.

I have read but have no experience that the ecu's are programmable but not by the end user.
Iím curious to learn if itís a case of the dealers are limited to simply reflashing the ecu with a generic map based on specific upgrades or if itís possible fully control all aspects of mapping. If it is the latter then removing the issues being experienced by some at lower rpm would be very easy to remove via simple air fuel ratio correction.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 10:16 PM

Mike, agreed but I don't know. Interesting. I will discuss with my dealer.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

It would be a foolish business practice to allow dealer techs the ability to custom map A/F ratios giving them the ability to entirely screw everything up while having to stand behind it under warranty.

They cannot custom map your bike.