Free Spirit Forward Controls - Triumph Bobber Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Free Spirit Forward Controls

I recently received and completed the installation of the Forward Control Kit from Free Spirit. I have a 2018 Bobber Black that I received delivery last month. When riding the new Bobber, I noticed my right heel kept drifting aft and was resting on the heat shield of the exhaust. My concern was I may create an ugly scuff or wear point in no time.

A solution would have to be a in forward control kit. The one on the 2018 SpeedMaster I saw in the showroom of the Triumph dealer did not exactly look OEM. No disrespect meant, but it looked to me as an add-on or after thought.

Then I discovered the Free Spirit Kit. I communicated with Brian at A&J Cycles to verify the kit would work with the 2018 Bobber Black and Brian confirmed it would. Placed the order that day. A&J provided a 5% discount because I found him through the Triumph Bobber Forum. The cost of the kit is a little over 5% of what I paid for the bike. A&J provided free shipping. I believe very reasonable for the quality. Once you see it and hold the components in your hand, you will understand what I mean.

The kit is well engineered, has several adjustable positions and very robust construction. The brackets are aluminum and black anodized. Is suits the Bobber Black very well. Installation documentation is excellent and straight forward. It took me about 4 hours to remove the OEM controls and install the Free Spirit controls. The left side, the gear shift, it pretty easy. The right side, the rear brake pedal assembly is more involved. They came up with a really KOOL way to extend the brake fluid hose in combination with a pressure switch to activate the brake light. The need for a switch at the pedal is gone! Well Done Free Spirit.

After a test ride, certainly no heel/heat shield issue, in addition, riding comfort has improved in my opinion.

Attached are some pics. Pic 1 Kit from Free Spirit, Pic 2 Gear Shift, Pic 3 Brake Pedal, Pic 4 Brake Pedal CU.

Also a shout out to Brian at A&J Cycles for the info and maintaining communications about delivery status. That kind of support is refreshing!

AirMark in South Alabama, Really Good Riding Season is Just Around the Corner, Can't Wait!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0280sm.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	18026   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0285sm.jpg
Views:	651
Size:	359.8 KB
ID:	18034   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0286sm.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	18042   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0287sm.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	332.9 KB
ID:	18050  
Bobber-Bomb, Louie, MikeB and 3 others like this.

Tackle and solve the really tough items immediately, the impossible, give that an extra day!
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 03:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMark View Post
I recently received and completed the installation of the Forward Control Kit from Free Spirit. I have a 2018 Bobber Black that I received delivery last month. When riding the new Bobber, I noticed my right heel kept drifting aft and was resting on the heat shield of the exhaust. My concern was I may create an ugly scuff or wear point in no time.

A solution would have to be a in forward control kit. The one on the 2018 SpeedMaster I saw in the showroom of the Triumph dealer did not exactly look OEM. No disrespect meant, but it looked to me as an add-on or after thought.

Then I discovered the Free Spirit Kit. I communicated with Brian at A&J Cycles to verify the kit would work with the 2018 Bobber Black and Brian confirmed it would. Placed the order that day. A&J provided a 5% discount because I found him through the Triumph Bobber Forum. The cost of the kit is a little over 5% of what I paid for the bike. A&J provided free shipping. I believe very reasonable for the quality. Once you see it and hold the components in your hand, you will understand what I mean.

The kit is well engineered, has several adjustable positions and very robust construction. The brackets are aluminum and black anodized. Is suits the Bobber Black very well. Installation documentation is excellent and straight forward. It took me about 4 hours to remove the OEM controls and install the Free Spirit controls. The left side, the gear shift, it pretty easy. The right side, the rear brake pedal assembly is more involved. They came up with a really KOOL way to extend the brake fluid hose in combination with a pressure switch to activate the brake light. The need for a switch at the pedal is gone! Well Done Free Spirit.

After a test ride, certainly no heel/heat shield issue, in addition, riding comfort has improved in my opinion.

Attached are some pics. Pic 1 Kit from Free Spirit, Pic 2 Gear Shift, Pic 3 Brake Pedal, Pic 4 Brake Pedal CU.

Also a shout out to Brian at A&J Cycles for the info and maintaining communications about delivery status. That kind of support is refreshing!

AirMark in South Alabama, Really Good Riding Season is Just Around the Corner, Can't Wait!

Great write up and thanks for sharing.

As a taller rider Iíve been wondering/considering forward controls as an option but thought first and await the arrival of my Bobber Black before pulling the trigger.

By any chance would you mind sharing your own height and if at all possible could you get a shot of you sitting on the bike to demonstrate leg/foot position?

Cheers,

Mike.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 08:48 AM
Vendor

Mark,
Thank you for the write up and pictures. Looks great!
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hello Mike, here you go,

I am 6 feet tall and my inseam is 32". The forward controls gives me a feel of more like a cruiser. See pic.

Also both sides have several options as to where to place the pedal assemblies. I have my Bobber seat all the way back and the Free Spirit Controls all the way forward. See pic of right mount options. See pic.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0300sm.jpg
Views:	1880
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	18114   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0301sm.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	18122  

Tackle and solve the really tough items immediately, the impossible, give that an extra day!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 06:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hello Mike, here you go,

I am 6 feet tall and my inseam is 32". The forward controls gives me a feel of more like a cruiser. See pic.

Also both sides have several options as to where to place the pedal assemblies. I have my Bobber seat all the way back and the Free Spirit Controls all the way forward. See pic of right mount options. See pic.

Mark
Hey Mark,

Thatís really kind of you thanks!

It does look like a really well put together bit of kit and I love how adjustable it is. Iíll see how I get on when the bike arrives and Iíve got a few miles under my belt but if it proves to be the case that Iíll need forward controls Iíll at least now know which ones to go for
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 01:39 AM

thanks for sharing
explanations and photos; ideal for those who want to do the work.

765RS,Speed3R,ThruxtonR,T120,ThruxtonClassic,Thrux tonEFI,HDSlim,48,NightRoad,DynaGlide,Roadking,Hťri tage,900CBR,1500F6C,1100ZRX,1200Bandit,1100Zťphir, 1000CBR,750SRAD,VMax,750&1000GSXR,750Stinger,FJ120 0,500XT,Tťnťrť,GS1000&750,GT750&380,RDX,K5..
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the write up. The kit looks really good and glad to see the parts are all black (as i remember Freespirits first model was silver).

Does moving the feel forward increase the pressure on your coccyx (tailbone)?
Just wondering, as extending the knee forward can casue tilt in the lower back.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 06:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Good question Eisen77. I will be able to figure that out after I get a chance to ride. The best part is, a seat adjustment and or foot control fore/aft positioning could improve your personal comfort. That is all possible because of the Bobber seat and the Free Spirit foot controls.

As luck would have it, I am finally getting a break in the action (work and day job) and could have a day or two to ride. But alas rain and wet roads are in the forecast for the next 3 days. Not surprising as we get 60 inches of rain a year here in South AL.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Hello Mike, here you go,

Mark
Have you got a picture of foot on left peg also?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Hi,

Sorry fo rreviving and old thread. Are the freespirits forward controls compatible with the Speedy floorboards?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page