Cell Phone Holders - Triumph Bobber Forum
 47Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Cell Phone Holders

What do you use if you do so?

Thinking of getting one for navigation . I like using Waze in the car and think it would be great for adventures when riding the scooter.

Life is what you make it.
post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

I use a QuadLock system.
https://www.quadlockcase.eu/collections/shop-moto
Very happy with it, though you may have to find a way to feed a charging cable up to the bars as Waze eats through battery life pretty quickly.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 04:48 PM

I like the Ram system as I already had a few bits for my TomTom Rider2 for my Harley.
But like Eisen says, it is pretty essential that you have some way of keeping it charged.

I'm getting more and more used to my iPhone's "maps-app" but it does use battery power fast so, if I'm on a longer tour with a magnetic tank ruck-sack; I'll probably just put a fat rechargeable pack in it! You can also put the extra battery pack in your jacket pocket, if you're not using a tank bag; just don't forget it when you get off the bike...
I'm too lazy to fit an extra power supply cable at the moment but I know it'll be better in the long run.

Cheers!
mike
catchoreno likes this.

Through the mud & the blood, to the green fields beyond...

British Army Veteran 1975-1984
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisen77 View Post
I use a QuadLock system.
https://www.quadlockcase.eu/collections/shop-moto
Very happy with it, though you may have to find a way to feed a charging cable up to the bars as Waze eats through battery life pretty quickly.
OK maybe GPS will be the ticket Thanks

Life is what you make it.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 10:21 PM

Garage
Been thinking about the same thing. I've been leaning heavily to the RAM unit (not the Universal model which I understand can loosen). Looks very secure although it seems just a bit intrusive. Usually, I just have my phone in my jacket pocket and bluetooth it to my helmet which has a Sena attached to it. Since GPS uses up a lot of power fast, I generally don't leave it on unless there are a lot of turns that I'm not familiar with. Otherwise, if there's a long stretch of road, it's off. Have only run really low on power once in Northern California at which point I had to stop for about 15-20 minutes, plug in the phone to the battery connecter, with the motorcycle on (so as not to use battery power) and charge it up. It was a nice rest stop so I didn't really mind and I needed a rest stop anyway.
ysoslo and catchoreno like this.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 12:06 AM

Garage
I picked up the RAM mount for my cell phone a few months ago, but I haven't used it yet (Minnesota winter), so I can't yet speak to how well it works. The reviews were great on Amazon, so I took a chance on it. I really like the QuadLock system like Eisen77 uses, but I'm hesitant to drop that kind of coin on a mount that I'll have to replace for around $100 when I buy my next cell phone. With the RAM mount it'll hold just about anything, so I won't have to replace it when I get my next new phone, whatever that might be (Samsung 10, perhaps?).
catchoreno likes this.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysoslo View Post
I picked up the RAM mount for my cell phone a few months ago, but I haven't used it yet (Minnesota winter), so I can't yet speak to how well it works. The reviews were great on Amazon, so I took a chance on it. I really like the QuadLock system like Eisen77 uses, but I'm hesitant to drop that kind of coin on a mount that I'll have to replace for around $100 when I buy my next cell phone. With the RAM mount it'll hold just about anything, so I won't have to replace it when I get my next new phone, whatever that might be (Samsung 10, perhaps?).
With the quadlock, you only have to buy a new phone case, not mount (no matter which phone you have/get). And as you´re buying a new phone, naturally it´ll need a new case anyway. So the expense of a protective case becomes a requirement the momemt you upgrade or change your phones dimensions so it no longer fits the original cover.
But the charging issue is still present for heavy users.

Also, cases (without mounts) are around $29 on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/Quad-Lock-Cas...+iphone+8+plus
ysoslo and catchoreno like this.

Last edited by eisen77; 03-08-2018 at 01:42 AM.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 03:15 AM

Another Quadlock user here. Neat setup and only need to replace the case when upgrading phone (rather than entire system)

Looked at ram mounted product - more flexible / don’t need new case, but too bulky for me.

Would like something that has built in wireless charging (would wire direct to battery) - that would be neat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joseph Phillips likes this.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 06:44 AM

Quadlock here as well.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
my.....jacket pocket..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page