Free Bobber Brake Fix - Triumph Bobber Forum
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Free Bobber Brake Fix

1. Ride your Bobber to your nearest Harley Davidson Dealer

2. Ask to test ride the used Harley of your choice, the older the better!

3. On your way home, re-evaluate your Bobbers Brake system.

If you do not have an H.D. dealer nearby any cruiser over 600 lbs will work!

Some points to remember:
Harley still owns 75% of the street market, I doubt there's anything seriously
wrong with them, and I don't see any evidence of "braking induced accidents"

The other day I hit the ABS on my Bobber's front brake at 30 mph, on a dry road
with the sticky Avon tire, absolute proof of braking power!

Those of you who say its not the power, but the "feel", I can understand. You are
probably transitioning from a Sport bike! What I don't understand is why you
can't re-calibrate? I routinely ride Harleys, and a retro Sport bike with twin
mono-block 330 MMs and the Bobber all in the same day! They are hugely
different, Though I have been riding for almost 5 decades I think my skills peaked
a long time ago!

I'm way to cheap to spend money on a perfectly good brake system!

Triumph got it right the first time, they haven't made to many mistakes lately!!!

Last edited by BOBBYP; 02-09-2018 at 08:56 PM.
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Well said BobbyP! Bobber's brakes are great, for the type of use the Bobber is intended for.

{sigh}

- Pasta
catchoreno and Billybobber#1 like this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 11:14 PM

I get the point and don't completely disagree. But then why does the 2018 Bobber Black come stock with a more robust front braking system than the inaugural 2017s and other 2018 Bobber models?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XHellcat View Post
I get the point and don't completely disagree. But then why does the 2018 Bobber Black come stock with a more robust front braking system than the inaugural 2017s and other 2018 Bobber models?
Maybe because if they didn't upgrade the brakes, the only real difference 17-18 would be a bigger front tyre - not much of an upgrade.
Personally and IMHO (my 5˘) I think it ruins the look of the bike, I prefer the original Bobber.

Having come to the Bobber from a 1968 Lambretta I find the brakes to be really good (IMHO).
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezqui View Post
Maybe because if they didn't upgrade the brakes, the only real difference 17-18 would be a bigger front tyre - not much of an upgrade.
Personally and IMHO (my 5˘) I think it ruins the look of the bike, I prefer the original Bobber.

Having come to the Bobber from a 1968 Lambretta I find the brakes to be really good (IMHO).
Totally agree on the big front caliper ruining the look. It covers up that great spoked wheel which is such a integral style element of this bike. One of the main reasons I went with the swingarm bag was that I didn't want to cover up the spoked rear wheel.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 10:15 AM

I prefer rear tires on the rear of the bike.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezqui View Post

They are playing to the maturing riders who are coming off Sport bikes and want to stay on a Triumph, they could care less about it being authentic or not, they just need a 1 finger brake!
Mike the Bike likes this.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2018, 01:43 PM

Garage
I don't ride the bobber the way it's portrayed as a weekend toy for a 20 mile run to the pub on sunday and back then leave it in the garage for 6 days while spending 40h a week detailing it.

I commute on it, thought it would slow me down but takes same time or less on occasion than the tiger sport to get in and out during the morning and evening rat runs.

No the brakes are not very good but hey ho, little forward thinking and thick soles so you can get a foot down may help. I'd lobe dual front disks, **** the aesthetics. However the upgraded single caliper may well do. One thing i will say is i don't bother with rain mode, the TCS takes care of the back end spinning up over manholes in the set very nicely TYVM.

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethariel View Post
I don't ride the bobber the way it's portrayed as a weekend toy for a 20 mile run to the pub on sunday and back then leave it in the garage for 6 days while spending 40h a week detailing it.

That's exactly what mine is for, minus the detailing and for further than the 20 miles to the pub.

Coming off my daily ride of a street triple, the brakes are quite different. However, it only takes a few test squeezes as I pull away to get my head back in bobber mode.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 01:52 PM

Garage
yep the brakes on the 955 were in a totally different league, shorty lever 1 finger braking all year round

================================================== =============
0-60 in .......oh! wait.... I really don't care anymore (but it's still 1200cc of raw throbbing Trumpet so bugger off Mr.Scooter!)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page